WAG What is too much at age six?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom2008

Proud Parent
My DD is age 6, and she is new to an Excel Bronze Team. She practices six hours a week. Is this about right or a little much?

Depends on the kid. :) Anything over 1-2hrs/wk is too much for some 6yo's, we also have 6yo's working in L3 (6hrs/wk), in the developmental program (4-5hrs/wk) and I can't swear we have had 6yo's but I *know* that we have had very fresh 7yo's in the pre-elite program working out 20hrs/wk...
You know your own kid best. Physically I don't think 6hrs is too much at all!

My daughter is on preteam this year and is 6 and practices about 6 hours. So far she's loved it and it hasn't been too much, but we'll have to see when school starts next week.

You see a lot of variation on here as to how much is "about right". If your daughter is learning the skills, getting the strength, isn't overloaded, and isn't bored, she has a good amount of hours.

My DD is age 6, and she is new to an Excel Bronze Team. She practices six hours a week. Is this about right or a little much?
I like that your Team's Xcel Bronze practice so much. This is comparable to the JO equivalent (or maybe even slightly more than some L1/L2 teams).
She SHOULD be fine with 6 hours a week, but as a parent, you need to keep an eye out for excessive tiredness, irritability, and other symptoms of being overwhelmed.
My gymmies were both doing 7.5 hours at age 6 and did just fine (of course, at age 9.75, YG still occasionally naps on the way to gym).
Good luck. :)

They started the Excel program end of April so she has been going six hours a week for about 3 mos. School started Mon 8/11 and that week was tough but I am making sure she is eating nutritiously (high protein) and at least 10-11 hours a sleep per night (which is tricky sometimes).

So far so good but I worry about it sometimes. Just b/c her 1st grade curriculum is pretty aggressive (it's sort of ridiculous but I guess that is how it is these days) PLUS she takes Piano lessons. urgh.. I am a busy mom...

My daughter was doing 12 hrs/week at age 6 and did great. I just take the lead of my child... you'll know if it's too much for them specifically.

My dd moved to competitive from rec when she was 6 1/2. She went from 3 hrs a week to 12 hours a week and all I can say is that she finally stopped doing gymnastics all over the house all day, lol! That lasted a couple of months, then she wanted more... She increased her hours just under a year later when we moved gyms, and she went to 16 hrs. At age 8 she went to 20 hrs and then at 8 1/2 (she has an end of the year birthday) she went to 25. Where she is still now at 10 1/2.

She is a high energy kid and thrived/thrives on the gym hours. She will still come home after 5 hrs in the gym and go to the basement to make up floor routines.

All this being said, just watch your own child. Yes, my daughter loved the gym hours from the start. But we had to make adjustments, such as earlier bedtime, changing when and how much she ate (WAY more), and just making sure her days off were as un scheduled as possible.

Good luck to your dd!

It really depends on the kid. My DD did bronze as a 5 year old last year and she trained 9hrs a week. Plus she did an 1.5 hr dance class. She loved it and never had any issues with it being to much.

This year she is repeating bronze has a 6 year old (still 5 now but will be 6 in Oct). She is training team 9 hours and cross training T&T 3 hours. Plus she is still taking dance. We are playing it by ear to see how she handles it but she is excited for it so far. Dance and cross training start this upcoming week.

DS could not handle that kind of commitment and he is older. Every kid if different.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

Also want to add I am making her go to bed earlier (getting 10-11 hrs sleep) and really watching her diet to help her keep up with everything she wants to do.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

Definitely depends on the child. My DD is 6 working 12 hours a week at L4 plus TOPS and begging for more. She has friends at the same age having meltdowns at L2 6 hours and L3 9 hours a week. I can't tell you the difference but personality and love of the sport is the main differences I've noticed. I would think that level and number of hours would work great for 6 though! Good luck!!

I think you will know if it's too much for her. My son is a 6yo starting 1st grade tomorrow. He did 10 hours over the summer and was just fine. The rest of his team will be practicing 9 hours a week, but due to a schedule conflict, he'll only be going 6 hours. The only thing I'm worried about is that on gym days he'll go straight from school to the gym and practice right through the time he normally eats dinner. I think if he eats enough before (and possibly during) practice, then he'll be fine. But I am expecting a bit of an adjustment period the first few weeks of school.

My dd is 6 1/2 and has been going 6 hours a week (3x2) since May for a level 2 team. She's been in school for 7 weeks now (we have year round school) on that schedule and is doing just fine. I think 6 is plenty personally. :) I think she might go to 9 hours around December/January and I'm already not looking forward to that.

My daughter is 6 and a Level 3 and was practicing 14 hours a week this summer. She is going down to 13 hours for the school year. She has handled the hours perfectly, but there are some other girls her age at the gym who have struggled. I agree that you will know what is right for your daughter.

It's been 2+ years since I posted this. And man. I laugh because boy did things change.

First... she feel in love with this sport. I love her passion. She is now 8 years old.

Secondly, she is wrapping up Level 4 Meet season.., then will train Level 5 through the spring then will test out of 5... then she will be in Optionals.

I can't believe it.

She's not the best on the team. And she is far from the least L4 Team Member. She is right in the middle. And I'm ok with that. She works so hard. So disciplined, and is God loving little girl. I adore her.

Now she is many hours a week in gym. But she now loves it. And I'm ok with it. And so is she.

Sounds like you made the right decision :). Just curious how many hours she trains now. My DD started level 2 about 2 months ago and trains 4 hours per week. At level 3 (if/when) she goes to 6 hours. This seems very low to me but it is what it is. Is it expected to go from Xcel to JO at your DDs gym?

Sounds like you made the right decision :). Just curious how many hours she trains now. My DD started level 2 about 2 months ago and trains 4 hours per week. At level 3 (if/when) she goes to 6 hours. This seems very low to me but it is what it is. Is it expected to go from Xcel to JO at your DDs gym?

They went from Excel to JO... I'm not sure which is better b/c my only experience is Excel Silver for her 2014-2015 then Excel Silver 2015-2016 then in May they started training for Level 4. Started competing in Sep for L4... now about to wrap up meet season. Our gym is better known for Optionals... My DD has amazing skills, but doubtful much more than an awesome youth experience with gymnastics.... her desire is like most little girls (Elite or even Olympics).... but I just don't see that.... I don't think our family wants to give her up too much... ha ha... but love the sport, it's fun, and we all enjoy it. My son is on a boys rec team and he is ramping up to maybe start boys developmental team ....

They went from Excel to JO... I'm not sure which is better b/c my only experience is Excel Silver for her 2014-2015 then Excel Silver 2015-2016 then in May they started training for Level 4. Started competing in Sep for L4... now about to wrap up meet season. Our gym is better known for Optionals... My DD has amazing skills, but doubtful much more than an awesome youth experience with gymnastics.... her desire is like most little girls (Elite or even Olympics).... but I just don't see that.... I don't think our family wants to give her up too much... ha ha... but love the sport, it's fun, and we all enjoy it. My son is on a boys rec team and he is ramping up to maybe start boys developmental team ....
The first year was Excel Bronze (I typed Excel Silver twice).

I agree that it depends on the kid, my 7 year old level 3 does 9 hours and wants to know why she doesn't do more...my 5 year old does 1 hour of dance and she sometimes complains it's too much :)
As long as she's happy that's all that should matter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back