For Parents What Is Your IDEAL Team Program?

Parents... Coaches... Gymnasts...
Gymnastics Questions?
Don't Lurk... We've Got Answers!

New For 2022
MEMBERS ONLY Parent Group!
Join for FREE!

Em09

Gymnast
Fan
Oct 13, 2020
Australia
They have nicknames for one another that they shout out at meets.
I always love when gymnasts have nicknames!! On my team I am responsible for the nicknames, I like to make them relevant to personality or what they're good at for positivity, eg Tumbles, Splits, Points, etc, basic but positive. Sometimes the compulsory girls will get me to make a nickname for their teams, I love adding that positivity and bond with teams.

Reactions: PreciousJ

Tmacs

Proud Parent
Feb 19, 2019
My dd is at a small gym that is in rebuilding mode. I love the small atmosphere where all the coaches know the kids and the head coach steps in and works with all levels when she can. My big musts are:
1) understanding and relatable coaches. I care about confidence building and positive coaching way more than winning.
2) team atmosphere: love the emphasis on team results as much if not more than individual. Parents have great relationships and support all gymnasts.... very few crazies.
3) good communication: the gym has improved a ton in this area and I feel the coaches are approachable.
4) good equipment: we have great training areas
5) location: super close to my house.

The one area I wish would improve is more uptraining during the season. However, I do trust the way the gym constantly drills basics as they know the value of not pushing kids too quickly and then producing mental blocks.

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
Jun 14, 2019
YES! I love that my daughter's team is like this. Some girls are more competitive than others, but they're not *competing* against one another, if that makes sense. They spend most of their down time at practice and meets talking or being silly with each other, and they have nicknames for one another that they shout out at meets. I love to see it. Our gym strongly encourages a team atmosphere.
My daughter's current coach gave her the Nickname Noodles (she is really bendy) and her previous coach (for all of her compulsory years) called her Peanut because she was by far the smallest on the team. When she started Level 3 at age 7 she was barely 3 1/2 feet tall and weighed 37 pounds. She was the smallest until COVID closures and she grew 6 inches in 8 months. She is now 4/10 at 13 and almost 90 pounds (of muscle). However in her age group of kids, she is still one of the smallest. She has left Peanut behind and is now known as Noodles at her current gym. While it just used to be the coach her called her that, the other girls have picked up on it and she is regularly cheered on by "Go Noodles!" The best part of this (and she would kill me if she knew I told y'all this) is that the coach's 3 year old daughter also calls her Noodles, but can't say her "L" sounds. So when she sees my daughter across the gym she yells, "I see Noodies" and my daughter about dies of embarrassment every time.

PreciousJ

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 16, 2021
USA
My daughter's current coach gave her the Nickname Noodles (she is really bendy) and her previous coach (for all of her compulsory years) called her Peanut because she was by far the smallest on the team. When she started Level 3 at age 7 she was barely 3 1/2 feet tall and weighed 37 pounds. She was the smallest until COVID closures and she grew 6 inches in 8 months. She is now 4/10 at 13 and almost 90 pounds (of muscle). However in her age group of kids, she is still one of the smallest. She has left Peanut behind and is now known as Noodles at her current gym. While it just used to be the coach her called her that, the other girls have picked up on it and she is regularly cheered on by "Go Noodles!" The best part of this (and she would kill me if she knew I told y'all this) is that the coach's 3 year old daughter also calls her Noodles, but can't say her "L" sounds. So when she sees my daughter across the gym she yells, "I see Noodies" and my daughter about dies of embarrassment every time.
Noodles is THE CUTEST! I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ProudGymnast