WAG What is your state meet qualification score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dynamicduo

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I was just curious what the qualification score to make it to state was in your area! For us, compulsory level 3/4/5 all need a 34.5 AA to make it to the state meet! Not sure about optionals because the season is in the Spring. We are NorCal (california is divided into north & south) so I'm not sure what the qualification is for SoCal! Anyway, I was just wondering! :)

SoCal is further divided into North and South sections. We're in the North section. For L3/4/5, 30 for sectionals. 32 for state. I know, not a big hurdle.

It's different for every level:
Level 3 34.00AA
Level 4: 34.00AA
Level 5: 32.00AA
Level 6: 33.00AA
Level 7: 33.00AA
Level 8: 32.00AA
Level 9: 32.00AA
Level 10: 32.00AA
Xcel: 33.00AA at all levels

Ours is low. 30 AA for all levels, but last year they moved it down to 29 so more higher levels girls would qualify. I live in a very sparsely populated state and there aren't a whole lot of gyms in the entire state.

But I would much rather have a higher qualifying score for the lower levels at the very least. It pretty much just feels like another meet because everyone gets in. I wish they would move it to 34 or maybe even 35.

Ours is a percentage instead of a score. The top 50 - 58 percent make it to South or North State and the top percentage at those meets make it to State in each age division. The lowest qualifying score in level 3 was in the low 35s. The lowest for level 5 was in the high 34s.

I've been trying to find mine out, because I know some policies have already changed for our state. Last year, old L4's basically just had to show up at a meet in state to qualify. I can't seem to find what it is now though.

For compulsories, it's 31 AA to advance to sectionals. We have a North and a South sectional meet. From sectionals it depends on the girls placement as to whether they advance to state or not. It's usually something like the top 60 scores from north and the top 60 scores from South by level.

For optional's the required all-around score is 32 to advance directly to state. There is no sectional meet for optionals.

wow, just seeing that our state lowered the qualifying scores this year. Compulsories used to be 32.00 and then are now 31.00 and optionals used to be 34.00 and are now 32.00

I have no idea with all the new stuff in place I just haven't caught up on that. I guess it would be good to know with 1st meet in 2 weeks LOL

ok found it

For sectional meets: Levels 3 through 8 - 31.00
For state meets: Levels 3 through 7 - 33.00 Level 8 - 32.50 Levels 9 and 10 - 32.00 Xcel - 32.00 or two meets
For regional meets: Levels 9 and 10 - 34.00

Ohio
To Qualify to State:
L3 through L5 ... 28.0
L6 through L8 ... 30
L9 & L10 ... 32
Xcel Bronze, Silver, & Gold ... 28
Xcel Platinum & Diamond ... 30
Qualifying Score for Regionals:
L8 through L10 ... 34
Xcel Divisions: Placement (Top 6-8 in each division or each age group in each division... I can't remember)

Wow, I didn't know there was such a huge range from state to state!! Seems like 28-34.5 AA is a huge range! Does anyone have any idea why they vary so much since (at least for compulsories) it's the same routines??

A 28.0! For levels 1-5 anyways. Funny considering we just had our first meet and the lowest AA score out of anyone was a 33. I know they want to keep kids excited and don't want anyone to have hurt feelings but why even have a score then? For T&T you just have to attend 2 sanctioned meets to be allowed to go to states. So basically you need to get a 7 on each event so that means you could probably fall off beam or bars like 3 times each and still make it. Stupid really.

Wow, I didn't know there was such a huge range from state to state!! Seems like 28-34.5 AA is a huge range! Does anyone have any idea why they vary so much since (at least for compulsories) it's the same routines??

I think generally, the more competitive states and states with larger numbers of gymnasts set the bar higher because they may need to limit the # of gymnasts to fit all the sessions in during the weekend. Very small states tend to set the # low so that they have enough gymnasts going (and so the state and/or host gym makes money on the meet) and they tend to not be as competitive, so they may look at it as more of wanting everyone to have the chance to compete. It is also up to each state if they even want to provide a state meet for levels 1,2, & 3.
IMO, the qualification to state should be at least as high as the score to move up to the next level. That way gymnasts who do not meet the move up score can have states to look forward to the next year when they are repeating the level.

A 28.0! For levels 1-5 anyways. Funny considering we just had our first meet and the lowest AA score out of anyone was a 33. I know they want to keep kids excited and don't want anyone to have hurt feelings but why even have a score then? For T&T you just have to attend 2 sanctioned meets to be allowed to go to states. So basically you need to get a 7 on each event so that means you could probably fall off beam or bars like 3 times each and still make it. Stupid really.

Our state has always set the bar really low too. In fact the running joke here after a really bad meet is "hey, you qualified for state!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back