what level does a COLLEGE GYMNAST have to be in?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

what is the minimum level for a gymnast at a junior/community college, and what is the minimum level for a gymnast at a four-year?

ive heard eight, and ive also heard ten.....

thanks!

i think its 10 but i think some one also told me you could be 9. but im pretty sure its ten. :)

Technically, there isn't a minimum level if you're especially good (e.g. solid L10) on one or two events. (For example, if you're a level 8 and have a good Yurchenko full, I'm sure some colleges would love you!) However, it's quite uncommon to get a scholarship if you're not a level 10, although it's possible.

I am not aware of any junior/community colleges that have NCAA gymnastics teams.

I don't think that there is a minimun level. Colleges will give scholarships to elites and solid level 10's. They could give a scholarship to a level 9, if you are really good on an event the college needs, though.

I can't imagine someone with a Yurchenko FULL would only be an 8...but in general, to get a college scholarship to a D1 school you have to be a solid Level 10 at a minimum ...not to say that some 9s haven't gotten scholarships but the little thing in their bio is something like "she won Level 9 Easterns/Westerns" so they are usually on the high end of that level too.

Gymkat's answer is right on. There are gymnasts who compete at Level 8 or Level 9 who have the skills on particular events to compete much higher. There are very few AA gymnasts in the NCAA. The focus should be on what a particular gymnast can contribute to a particular team on particular events.

Having said all that, there are almost no 9.9SV NCAA routines that do not contain the standard Level 10 difficulty.

Well... one of the girls on my team is a level nine and she's pretty good... she was 5th at eastern's this past year and she's looking at colleges. She'll probably wind up going to a division 2 school... still a team, but it's not like going to Georgia or UCLA. :p If you want to be on a good division one team, I'd say at LEAST level 9... probably level 10.

At the gym where my DD trains there were two gymnasts who just signed with D1 schools. Both these girls are level 10's and one was even National Champion 3 years in a row. These are the type of girls that will usually go to the highly ranked D1 schools. There are many D1 schools out there and the gymnasts and their families have to do the research to see which will take what type of gymnast. I agree that a Level 9 gymnast who has been ranking high at meets will be scouted by D1 schools if they feel that she still has room to grow while she is with the college team. It's not always about what you can do now but also how you can improve and what you can do in the future as well.

FWIW, I found this information on collegegymfans.com two years ago:

Of the 278 new NCAA gymnasts that year, only 10 had not reached Level 10 or elite. Two went to Air Force, which has rather special recruiting requirements. One went to Cal (I think she was a four-year Level 9 and a state, regional, and Western National champion at that level). Centenary, Kent State, Rutgers, Seattle Pacific, Southeast Missouri, and Towson (2) also added Level 9 gymnasts to their rosters that year.

Two girls at Flippers gym have recently accepted full scholarships to D1 top ten teams. Both have been national champs on at least one apparatus. Two other good level 10s are hoping to make NCAA teams by walking on - without scholarships.

Two girls at Flippers gym have recently accepted full scholarships to D1 top ten teams. Both have been national champs on at least one apparatus. Two other good level 10s are hoping to make NCAA teams by walking on - without scholarships.

just a question. how are you from the "midwest" but are in region 3? am i missing something?:confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back