Anon What level should a _year old be

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There really is no ideal.

Sure, if you want a College Scholarship you need to be a solid level 10 early enough age for most people skills are easier to learn at a younger age.

But each gymnasts body, mind, pathway and journey are unique. Some progress rapidly early on then slow down. Others may have a slower start, then it all clicks and they start to fly.

There is no maximum age limit on Olympic qualification or elite gymnastics . Chuso Has won her fair share of international medals in her 40’s!

In many ways gymnastics has attracted people who like to follow rules. It’s a sport with so many rules and expectations. So those in higher up positions have sold the idea that there is an ideal model to developing a great gymnast.

But there is no real true ideal are for level.

For a D1 scholarship you preferably need to be a level 10 by the freshman year of high school.

All ages can enjoy gymnastics!

In the USA system, it seems like some people feel that if you're not hitting levels at the minimum competitive age that you're garbage. I wonder how many amazing gymnasts quit because they, despite being super talented, were a little "behind schedule"? I think a lot.

It's funny - I have often wondered if there is an ideal age, and I actually think there is an ideal small range. I came to this after watching group upon group pass through and achieve varying levels of success and realized that there is a sweet spot. My older moved through too fast and burned out; my younger is being moved too slowly and may time out before achieving her goals. BUT, the sweet spot seems to be in between the two.

level 4 age 8/9 - 3rd grade
level 5/6 age 9/10 - 4th grade
level 7 age 10/11 - 5th grade
level 8 age 11/12 - 6th grade, maybe repeat in 7th
level 9 age 12/13 - 7th grade, maybe repeat in 8th
level 10 age 14+ - high school

With the caveat that Aussie coach mentioned about, there are generalities or guidelines that I think can give you some sense of where you or your gymnast are falling.
L10 - 16-15
L9 - 13-15
L8 - 11-13
L7 - 10 -12
L6 - 9-12

But really, assuming that most of our gymnasts want to compete in college, a goal, BUT NOT an absolute, would be to reach L10 by your sophomore year of high school. This would give one adequate time to establish a track record at L10 and work the college process. So you can count back from there.

Age 5 --> Level 1 or 2
Age 6 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3
Age 7 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4
Age 8 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5
Age 9 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6
Age 10 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7
Age 11 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8
Age 12 --> Level 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9
Age 13 --> Level 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9
Age 14 --> Level 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 OR Elite
Age 15 --> Level 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 OR Xcel OR Elite
Age 16 --> Level 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 OR Xcel OR Elite
Age 17 --> Level 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 OR Xcel OR Elite
Age 18 --> 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 OR Xcel OR Elite

My DD started late in the sport and this is something that she continually struggles with based on coach expectation. She has said that the coaches talk to each other (but within earshot of older gymnasts at the same level) about the littles who are elite track, not because of their superior skills but because their ages match the expectation for potential. Unfortunately this has the added effect of making the older gymnasts drop out because they feel their efforts are hopeless. I continually encourage her to continue as long as she feels it has benefit to her, there are plenty of examples of older gymnasts who are killing it and she's never had many of the major injury issues that people that started younger have had. Perhaps these persistent girls will change the face of elite gymnastics some day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back