Anon What level should elite qualifiers compete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
I have a question. I know many gyms train up and compete down, but if you made an elite compulsory qualifying score, but competed level 8 for season doesn't that just mean you should be competing at a higher level? One of the gyms in our area qualified 3 kids. 2 of the 3 were competing in elite qualifiers. Is HOPES level 8 or are these kids doing level 10 skills in HOPES? (Our gym does not use the program, so I am unsure of how the skill levels compare). I just read another post about many former elites dropping back down to level 10 and therefore always being on top of the podium at competitions. This is the same for these girls. They are on the top of the podium at every meet, but one would expect that if they have jr. elite level skills but are actually competing at level 8.

Getting a compulsory score is much different than qualifying elite. Some kids who are able to get a qualifying compulsory score, don't have the skills ready for the optional score. So they may be competing at a lower JO level while they develop those skills.

Hopes 11/12 is level 8/9. Hopes 13/14 is 9/10. So 11-12 year olds can be competing 8 and Hopes will be a similar level with more intricate requirements.
Elite kids are competing level 10+ skills

The elite compulsory routines would be that of a high caliber Level 8.

As others have explained… the upper age group of Hopes is a solid Level 10.

Well this happens at every level. At one of my daughter's first meets as an average age Level 3, the team title was won by a team of gymnasts largely comprised of girls from the oldest of six age groups who appeared to be mature teenagers. I just couldn't help but think that if they are 13 or 14+ years old and scoring a 9.8 on bars and 38 AA, at the beginning of the season, that maybe they should be in level 4.

I have a question. I know many gyms train up and compete down, but if you made an elite compulsory qualifying score, but competed level 8 for season doesn't that just mean you should be competing at a higher level? One of the gyms in our area qualified 3 kids. 2 of the 3 were competing in elite qualifiers. Is HOPES level 8 or are these kids doing level 10 skills in HOPES? (Our gym does not use the program, so I am unsure of how the skill levels compare). I just read another post about many former elites dropping back down to level 10 and therefore always being on top of the podium at competitions. This is the same for these girls. They are on the top of the podium at every meet, but one would expect that if they have jr. elite level skills but are actually competing at level 8.
You raise some good points. To an extent, I think Hopes is a bit of a money-making gambit. Many girls who manage to qualify for hopes do not make it to junior elite.

That being said, it would be far too complicated, but I wish usag would do something like club soccer programs and have different leagues. For instance ECNL teams and MLS teams play against other teams in those leagues only. The hours and intensity of training vary depending on the league.

My daughter is a youngish level 8 and does well but does nowhere near the type of training and hours the other ”child A” competitors are doing based on the chatter at regionals. Most of those children homeschool and are training hopes. So I don’t think it’s a level playing field. Same with the level 10 discussion. I‘m not suggesting everyone should get a trophy at all, but it seems like it has really gotten out of hand.

You raise some good points. To an extent, I think Hopes is a bit of a money-making gambit. Many girls who manage to qualify for hopes do not make it to junior elite.

That being said, it would be far too complicated, but I wish usag would do something like club soccer programs and have different leagues. For instance ECNL teams and MLS teams play against other teams in those leagues only. The hours and intensity of training vary depending on the league.

My daughter is a youngish level 8 and does well but does nowhere near the type of training and hours the other ”child A” competitors are doing based on the chatter at regionals. Most of those children homeschool and are training hopes. So I don’t think it’s a level playing field. Same with the level 10 discussion. I‘m not suggesting everyone should get a trophy at all, but it seems like it has really gotten out of hand.
This is really what we are seeing too. The homeschooled, multiple practices a day, TOPS National Team members have dominated my daughter's age group for years. Same gym, same kids. One of their TOPs girls was 8 competing level 6, but was warming up level 8 skills, but then competed a level 6 routine. I was watching other gymnasts get psyched out just by watching warm ups. This child continues to win everything. She had a 38+ in the Hopes Compulsory Qualifier and is a level 8. She is training level 10 skills (IG fave on her gyms page).

While I can certainly understand the frustration, isn't people who come from vastly different backgrounds competing against each other just life?

Where is the difference between the gymnast practising 16 hours per week (by choice or by lack of opportunity) competing against the one practising 30 hours per week, and the professional who chooses to do other things on weekends competing for promotions against the workaholic who works all their waking time? Or the child whose parents have read to them and provided them with intellectual stimulation from a young age competing in college (or college admissions) against the one whose parents left them to their own devices/parked them in front of the TV screen or who grew up in a rough neighbourhood where violence was far more common than books?

In the end, you have to make the most out of the opportunities you are given in life and you also have to become comfortable with the choices you make. Yes, if you choose to not home school and train all day, you might lose against those who do at gymnastics, but you will also have a ton of life experiences that they won't have, so that's your compensation.

In softball they call this trophy hunting. Teams that play in lower level tournaments and always win because they are really practicing and have the talent level of the next level up. It's an ego thing whether you are training elite and competing DP or ready with level 8 skills but competing level 6. I don't see the benefit quite frankly. Compete against the best level of competition you can and stop "medal hunting".

Hopes 11/12 is level 8/9. Hopes 13/14 is 9/10. So 11-12 year olds can be competing 8 and Hopes will be a similar level with more intricate requirements.
Elite kids are competing level 10+ skills

So is 9/10 TOPS like level 7/8 under this framework? (Maybe 8 on everything except vault, I guess.)

Well this happens at every level. At one of my daughter's first meets as an average age Level 3, the team title was won by a team of gymnasts largely comprised of girls from the oldest of six age groups who appeared to be mature teenagers. I just couldn't help but think that if they are 13 or 14+ years old and scoring a 9.8 on bars and 38 AA, at the beginning of the season, that maybe they should be in level 4.
Very true, common to see studious gymnasts who can score well at the level but can’t kip. So they are stuck for now.

Many gyms work like that
1. Perfecting the skills for your current level
2. Mastering the skills 1 level up
3. Learning the skills 2 levels up
4. Drilling the skills 3 levels up
5. Strength work for skills 4 levels up

There are a lot of advantages to this learning model. Being able to compete well is an art form in itself. Many kids are amazing in the gym and not so much on the comp floor.

Competing at a lower level can allow them to do so confidently and experience success. They then see themselves as a good competitor and grow their confidence, allowing them to perform to their potential.

It can be safer, many have said it scares them seeing level 8’s who are new to flipping vaults doing them at comp.

More up training can be done as routines will need less time.

But the big con, kids find it boring!! Who wants to compete a back tuck, when you can do a back full. Not my kids, as soon as they learn something they are desperate to compete it as soon as possible.

So 11-12 year olds can be competing 8 and Hopes will be a similar level with more intricate requirements.

I would say that you would want to be more of a Level 9 if you wanted to do well in Hopes at that age.

If gymnasts are getting “psyched out” by seeing another girl warm up harder skills with better form, then now would be a good time to teach them to be inspired instead. It only gets worse / better, as there’s pretty much always someone better. Eventually the athletes (and their parents) will learn that it really only makes sense to focus on yourself / your kid. It does take some time to come to this realization, though.

P.s. elite compulsory isn’t that big of a deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back