WAG What makes BWO on beam go wrong?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
My DD has her first level 6 meet in 2 weeks. She has really struggled on and off with the BWO on beam. She "has" the skill, as in she has landed it many, many times, but there are days where she is constantly going sideways and can't land a single one. Why does this happen? Is this common...for the BWO to be there one day and not the next? She has such pretty lines on beam and her dismount is beautiful...I wish she could fix the BWO issue.

Omg I have so many videos of Little Monkey where I had to edit out myself when she went crooked lmao. It has something to do with the hips turning I think. The coaches on CB will know :)

Omg I have so many videos of Little Monkey where I had to edit out myself when she went crooked lmao. It has something to do with the hips turning I think. The coaches on CB will know :)

this is what happened with dd. She could have a few great practices with square hips and then a few bad practices with turned hips. Gradually, the good days increased, but it took about 12 mths for the consistentcy. She is a level 7 now and her hips still turn occasionally but she manages to feel it and usually corrects it as she lands. At this point, she is connecting a bhs to it with little difficulty. I think it's just a matter of time and a lot of repetitions.

generally it's crooked hips , weight unevenly distributed - this used to be my problem as I have one shoulder that is significantly weaker. Another thing is going back crooked a lot of girls I've seen do this.

Relaxed core or support leg.......

Over reaching with the lead leg at any time during the skill......like trying to get your foot to the beam when your hips are still in the handstand position.

Arching too hard instead of a combination of arch and linear movement away from the "starting end" of the beam.

That's a fair sample in the most general of terms, and there are many, many more whoopsies that kids can treat us coaches with. So the best advice is to concentrate on the correct model of back walkover....the one done with the greatest ease, that she's been doing for a long time....and that would be the one she learned on the floor, as it really is the easiest model to work with on the beam.

she may have the same hand forward in her placement as the same foot that comes down first. in other words, right hand forward and stepping out also right can cause the right scapula to turn right causing (newtons law) the left hip to turn out when that first foot comes down.

A generally helpful tip (though it might not solve your DDs particular problem) is making sure they really focus on stretching up tall, square, and tight as they prepare for the skill (and don't lose that position as they start the backward movement). I see a lot of kids just kind of "chucking" the skill and flinging themselves backward due to nerves/fear/just wanting to get it over with resulting in any number of issues like lose core, throwing the hips all out of whack, etc. Sometimes just that moment of slowing down, thinking about being tight, and really focusing on what you're doing is enough to really click with some kids.

This same problem happened to me. And i was never really able to fix it. I am now competing a bhs bhs, instead of a bwo bhs. Because i could never fix my bwo's.

My coach always told me to not turn my hips out. And to try to stretch up tall before i went back. Also she told me to make sure i am pushing off of my back leg straight.. Maybe her problem isnt that though, it could be a lack of flexibility. If so, make sure she stretches every night. I always stretch before i go to bed. Like splits, bridges etc. Hope this helped! Good luck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back