Parents What should gymmie think about when trying out new gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tortuga

Proud Parent
DD is pretty sure she needs a different coach and that means choosing a new gym so she'll have tryouts over the next month or so. We're fortunate to have a number of good choices in our metro area.

How do I help her evaluate the team/coach/gym for a fit for longterm commitment?
What can she ask the coaches, the girls? What should she be observing while training?
What should I ask the coaches and owner? Is it usual to talk to a current team parent for insight?

Doing new/different skills at a tryout facility is exciting, but not a reason to choose a new gym/coach. She's seeking a positive working relationship. Her main concern is to find a coach who can inspire, goad, encourage, correct, and support in a positive manner.

If it influences your thoughts, we're looking for a fit at L7.

DD is pretty sure she needs a different coach and that means choosing a new gym so she'll have tryouts over the next month or so. We're fortunate to have a number of good choices in our metro area.

How do I help her evaluate the team/coach/gym for a fit for longterm commitment?
What can she ask the coaches, the girls? What should she be observing while training?
What should I ask the coaches and owner? Is it usual to talk to a current team parent for insight?

Doing new/different skills at a tryout facility is exciting, but not a reason to choose a new gym/coach. She's seeking a positive working relationship. Her main concern is to find a coach who can inspire, goad, encourage, correct, and support in a positive manner.

If it influences your thoughts, we're looking for a fit at L7.
Priority one is to get accepted. Some clubs are selective. If you get an invite then ask away.

As far as what to ask the new gyms, there is a really good JAG gym blog about this that lists any question you could ever think of. I'll see if I can find the link.

Has she seen any gyms at meets where she liked the coach/athlete interaction? Does she have friends at other gyms? I would reach out to other gymmies to get a sense of coach interaction.

I am in the same boat right now for my DD who competed 7 this season. It is a scary idea for me since there is only one other AA gym in town and they are major rivals with our gym. I wish you the very best and will be watching this thread.

Before my daughter tried new gyms I went to a couple at around the time I thought parents would be picking up at my daughter's level and I sat and listened. It's easy to get a feel for the gym based on the behavior of the kids leaving and the attitude of the parents. I knew I wanted to see happy, tired kids and positive parents.

Although I'm sure you are trying to be under the radar while looking, but I have found that stating the state or even city you live in can get a ton of responses right here in chalkbucket! I posted something kind of similar and it got pretty funny in that people were talking about wearing a disguise to the other gyms so nobody notices you! Ha ha! Good luck many of us go through this ( we are going through this now as well ) and it's really a tough process!

Priority one is to get accepted. Some clubs are selective. If you get an invite then ask away.

Hmm, we view this process as interviewing the gym&coach as equally as the gym&coach interviewing her for a spot on their team. She is selective, too. :)

From her point of view, priority one is to find a gym&coach where she will continue to fly; no point in being accepted by a gym&coach where her mind, heart, and body don't soar regardless of how happy and/or successful other girls are in that gym or how much the coach wants her on the team.

This helps her see that she is looking for a gym and coach willing to continue to look at the growth process as more collaborative; she won't thrive in a top-down structure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back