What should i do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im not sure if im on the right section or even on a right website, but heres my problem.

5 years of Ice hockey, 3 years of MMA, and a lifetime of Weight training. Im 21 years old and i want to learn Gymnastics.

After seeing Yuri van Gelder ring video i decided that i will learn this stuff also. Not only rings tho i want to be able to do everything with my body (planches, levers, muscle up's everything).

I have searched info about this sport and everywhere they say that you can do all those tricks by training them constantly. People have told me on Finnish forums that they does gymnastics 3-4h a day or so. But how the hell do you manage to spend that much time doing that?

For an example, i wanna learn a full planche, i check youtube and find out how to work it out, then i spend 3 hours per day training my planche, but wheres the workout i dont even break a sweat? How come anybody can do something like that without working on strenght? How can i mix my strenght training and gymnastic training together?

Gymnasts do work a lot of strength in that 3-4 hours. An average training session will be say 4 hours and the first 90 minutes will be body development mainly focussing on strength and flexibility. Then 2 1/2 hours on apparatus and skills.

You should get yourself into a gymnastics club to train, you will be very limited on what you can learn of YouTube.

Gymnasts do work a lot of strength in that 3-4 hours. An average training session will be say 4 hours and the first 90 minutes will be body development mainly focussing on strength and flexibility. Then 2 1/2 hours on apparatus and skills.

You should get yourself into a gymnastics club to train, you will be very limited on what you can learn of YouTube.
Im afraid that nearest gymnastic club is 60 miles away from my location, so ill have to stick with youtube and the rings i purchased. I know theres a place to do gymnast in my town with bars and rings but no teaching i suppose. So ill have to stick with forums and YouTube for now. Im not looking to get professional Gymnast, just looking to get these moves i listed to be done.

I've done my strenght training only using my own bodyweight for a while now, so would i get anywhere close to gymnastic training at home if i did 90 mins of bodyweight workout and then 2 hours of rings and bar training moves?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back