Parents What to do about a kid without a lot of talent who loves gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JMO I would have a huge problem with a decision being made before the off season is near done.

How could a gym know what a kid might be capable or not capable of before winding down the primary up-training season.

I’d be looking elsewhere. But that’s just me.

If she has done level 2 before why would the coaches waste time with more competition season training for level 2 when they can spend that time training level 3 skills ? If she is working to compete level 2 state again now and then after will begin to train for level 3 and see how she goes. There is a whole lot of time wasted with competition season training instead of up skill training. Especially for level 3

Give it time. At this developmental level, it's too early to tell who's going to stay with it and thrive. I've seen some fantastic lower level gymnasts burn out and quit. And I've seen some not very good lower level gymnasts continue to progress and enjoy the sport all the way through until graduation.

They hand out Level placements for next season right after States. They don’t do it at the end of the summer or closer to the upcoming competition season.

Anyhow, my daughter went to States and got low 9s on beam and bars, 8.85 on vault and just under that on floor. She finished about 2/3 of the way down in her age group. I think 12/18.

They had one week of being introduced to the Level 3 skills after States. My daughter told me she got her shoot through on bars right away and her handstand on beam, but I don’t know how floor went and that’s where she’s weakest. After the week was up they got their assignments. My daughter was assigned Level 2 again.

She said she wishes she could do Level 3 but if she can’t she wants to do Level 2 again. I’d rather her do Xcel but she’s not interested. I have a meeting with the coach next week to discuss. What questions should I ask? Thanks for any advice.

They hand out Level placements for next season right after States. They don’t do it at the end of the summer or closer to the upcoming competition season.

Anyhow, my daughter went to States and got low 9s on beam and bars, 8.85 on vault and just under that on floor. She finished about 2/3 of the way down in her age group. I think 12/18.

They had one week of being introduced to the Level 3 skills after States. My daughter told me she got her shoot through on bars right away and her handstand on beam, but I don’t know how floor went and that’s where she’s weakest. After the week was up they got their assignments. My daughter was assigned Level 2 again.

She said she wishes she could do Level 3 but if she can’t she wants to do Level 2 again. I’d rather her do Xcel but she’s not interested. I have a meeting with the coach next week to discuss. What questions should I ask? Thanks for any advice.
It sounds like tumbling is holding her back (comes to a stop on vault, no bhs) is this something that the coaches think they can coach her through or are they just hoping she gets it oh her own? The tumbling just goes up from here no matter if it is JO or Xcel, so at some point she has to get those skills, I guess I would ask what is their plan for helping her get better at tumbling.

Sometimes it just takes a while. My daughter was never much of a dynamic tumbler, but as she got stronger, she improved. When does your competition season begin? I guess I'd be less inclined to be satisfied if it's not until November or December.

At the meeting, I would definitely ask about up training -- both for the summer and during the regular season. I think that is going to be critical to your daughter's continued interest this year. My DD's gym doesn't assign levels until the end of the summer, and summer training groups are not strictly by level. Could she train with her current group for the summer (as opposed to the brand new L2s)? You could also ask whether they might reconsider level placement at the end of the summer, although it doesn't sound like your gym is particularly flexible with these types of things. I think I would also ask whether girls can move between Xcel and JO at your gym (some gyms will not allow an Xcel gymnast back to JO). Even though it sounds like your daughter is not interested in Xcel right now, it might be useful in the future to fully understand your gym's philosophy regarding Xcel/JO.

Finally, I agree with @profmom that for some girls the power events -- tumbling and vault -- improve with time. Mine continues to struggle in this area for sure, but has improved. In L4 (age 8), her floor scores were high 8's and vault scores were low to mid 8's. This year in L7 (age 10) she hit a high of 9.425 on floor and 9.3 on vault. So moving in the right direction (although the L8 vault has me worried!). And I will add that strong bars (mine hit 9.9 once this season and took first place at regionals), is a huge advantage because it is a tough event for many. It is not uncommon for my DD to medal on bars (nothing else) and still squeeze into the AA. Last year at L6 State she was 2nd place bars and 4th place AA -- but didn't hit top 10 on any other event.

Good luck and let us know how the meeting next week goes!

It sounds like tumbling is holding her back (comes to a stop on vault, no bhs) is this something that the coaches think they can coach her through or are they just hoping she gets it oh her own? The tumbling just goes up from here no matter if it is JO or Xcel, so at some point she has to get those skills, I guess I would ask what is their plan for helping her get better at tumbling.
They didn’t even start teaching the BHS until last week. Or any of the Level 3 skills really, but the BHS to me is the biggest leap from Level 2 to Level 3. I’m not sure why it’s done this way at her gym.

Sometimes it just takes a while. My daughter was never much of a dynamic tumbler, but as she got stronger, she improved. When does your competition season begin? I guess I'd be less inclined to be satisfied if it's not until November or December.

Our first meet this past season was around Thanksgiving. I presume this upcoming season will be the same.

At the meeting, I would definitely ask about up training -- both for the summer and during the regular season. I think that is going to be critical to your daughter's continued interest this year. My DD's gym doesn't assign levels until the end of the summer, and summer training groups are not strictly by level. Could she train with her current group for the summer (as opposed to the brand new L2s)? You could also ask whether they might reconsider level placement at the end of the summer, although it doesn't sound like your gym is particularly flexible with these types of things. I think I would also ask whether girls can move between Xcel and JO at your gym (some gyms will not allow an Xcel gymnast back to JO). Even though it sounds like your daughter is not interested in Xcel right now, it might be useful in the future to fully understand your gym's philosophy regarding Xcel/JO.

Finally, I agree with @profmom that for some girls the power events -- tumbling and vault -- improve with time. Mine continues to struggle in this area for sure, but has improved. In L4 (age 8), her floor scores were high 8's and vault scores were low to mid 8's. This year in L7 (age 10) she hit a high of 9.425 on floor and 9.3 on vault. So moving in the right direction (although the L8 vault has me worried!). And I will add that strong bars (mine hit 9.9 once this season and took first place at regionals), is a huge advantage because it is a tough event for many. It is not uncommon for my DD to medal on bars (nothing else) and still squeeze into the AA. Last year at L6 State she was 2nd place bars and 4th place AA -- but didn't hit top 10 on any other event.

Good luck and let us know how the meeting next week goes!

Thanks for this advice. I’m definitely going to ask if she’ll be allowed to work new skills. I’d asked if she could train this summer with the Level 3s and see how it goes, but the coach told me they’ve tried that before and the girls are pretty crushed if they have to go back down to the lower level. I do agree that the ROBHS may be a stretch for her by November, but I still think she’d rather try it and see. She was SO excited the other day to learn new skills at her first post-States practice. I don’t see her being satisfied with doing stride circles for another whole year.

When my daughter switched gyms a couple years ago, she had finished a very mediocre season of level 2. We switched just a couple months before meet season to a much more competitive gym. They gave us 3 options: 1) repeat 2, 2) train 3 but not compete, and 3) compete 2 but train with the 3s once a week. We chose the third option and it was great for her. She won a lot, gained confidence, and got to uptrain some. She then went on to have great years of level 3 and 4, and should move to 6 in June. Maybe your gym would compromise and allow your daughter something similar?

I don’t see her being satisfied with doing stride circles for another whole year.

Level 3 has the stride circle and my daughter HATES them!

They didn’t even start teaching the BHS until last week. Or any of the Level 3 skills really, but the BHS to me is the biggest leap from Level 2 to Level 3.

How would they expect her to have a BHS if they just started working them? I'm confused. Not every kid is willing to just 'throw' a skill. Mine typically has to work through all the drills and progressions before she will do the skill, but it usually needs less 'fine tuning' when she does it.

I just don't see how her lack of a skill now is holding her back already, it's only May. We have the same competition season as you and we still don't even know training groups for the summer. Perhaps training with the level 3 group would give her the 'push' she needs. Of course, with everyone so focused on this BHS it could be putting too much pressure on her and make it take longer for her to get.

Good luck in your meeting. Hopefully they can give you a little more insight as to why they are having her grow stronger in level 2 as opposed to moving to 3. They may believe it will be a confidence booster for her. There is usually some method to the madness.;)

Talked to the coaches and she’s doing Level 2 again, though they’ll be letting her work Level 3 skills too. Honestly, I think it’s the best route for now. I’d rather see her excel at Level 2 and have more time to work Level 3 skills, especially on floor, than struggle competing Level 3. As long as she’s allowed to work new skills part of the time, she seems happy. Fingers crossed it works out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back