Parents what to do about rips and blisters???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

ValleyGymMom

My level 8 daughter is always getting blisters. I know it's normal to get some but she seems to get more than her share. Her hands and wrists look like she has been tortured! They are really awful looking and I would post a photo but it's pretty gross right now as she came home last night with three fresh open blisters on her wrists. She said they had a long bar work out. She tapes up for every practice and wears wrist bands but still gets blisters. I would be very grateful for any advice.:rolleyes: Is there a special way she should be wrapping up? Special kind of tape, pre-wrap?? She says the pre-wrap tends to slip. Coaches know, and say it is common and she just needs to wrap up properly.
Help!!

Does she wear grips? I know my dd still gets a few rips with her grips, but not near as many as she used to. When she does get a rip, another mom told me this, we put chap stick on the rip. I am not sure what it does, but it really does help it to heal. Also, wash and neosporin. Putting a lot of moisturizer on and then socks over her hands at night also seems to help if you catch the rip early enough.

Rips and blisters on her wrists may be related more to her grips(I assume she wears them). Sometimes buckle grips can slip around the wrist as the girls are working on bars and cause some problems. Are the wristbands new or have they been washed recently? They can be slippery if just washed or new and cause problems too.

My gymmie has never had the problem of blisters or rips on her wrists. She wears a velcro grip and when she gets rips/blisters they are usually at the base of a finger not covered by her grips.

Rips and blisters on her wrists may be related more to her grips(I assume she wears them). Sometimes buckle grips can slip around the wrist as the girls are working on bars and cause some problems. Are the wristbands new or have they been washed recently? They can be slippery if just washed or new and cause problems too.

My gymmie has never had the problem of blisters or rips on her wrists. She wears a velcro grip and when she gets rips/blisters they are usually at the base of a finger not covered by her grips.
She wears velcro grips also. I guess it's just a matter of proper taping and wrapping. Thanks!

My DD who is also a L8/L9 gymnast gets terrible rips/blisters. She does wear grips. She tends to get them at the base of her hands more on her wrists. She wears wrist bands and tapes. I don't know the answer, only can sympathize. I think it is common at their level.

Thats exactly where my daughter gets them. Someone told me to have her tape a balloon over them before she wraps up Have you ever heard of this? Sounds to me like that might rub even more. Also putting warm tea-bags on them helps speed in healing. Thanks!

Thats exactly where my daughter gets them. Someone told me to have her tape a balloon over them before she wraps up Have you ever heard of this? Sounds to me like that might rub even more. Also putting warm tea-bags on them helps speed in healing. Thanks!

The upper level girls in our gym get them there too. Theydo put a balloon over it, they swear by it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back