Parents What to do...what to expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started drop-and-dashing a couple of nights this past season. I'm doing it full time this summer. But I believe I'm an anomaly. Lol

I started leaving when the practices became two- three hours at a stretch but I will still watch parts of practice sometimes.

Good point on the longer practices. DS is only there for an hour at a time for now. The next level up of pre-team is 1.5-3 hours per week, and even level 4 only goes up a bit, to 4 hours/week. It's once we get to level 5 that the hours really increase.

I started the drop and dash when my child was 6. At that point practices had become 2.5 hours long and I had sufficient trust in the coach. I would have stopped watching when she moved to preteam at age 5 with practices 1.75 hours long, but I had doubts about the coaching and wanted to see exactly what was going on.

By the time my child was 7 she was refusing to let me walk her in to any activities. I am required to drop her off at the curb. I do insist on going in for pickup at the end of practice, but only because she is pokey and if I weren't standing there waiting she would never get her things packed up and leave.

Who knows, maybe they'll enroll in the first Daddy and Me gym classes!
Just wondering? Is it uncommon to see fathers in toddler classes there? Here there are almost always a few Dads who are in the classes with their kids.

Just wondering? Is it uncommon to see fathers in toddler classes there? Here there are almost always a few Dads who are in the classes with their kids.

Not that uncommon, but I've never seen a class that was majority dads.

I started dropping off probably when practices started going over 2 hours. I still stay and watch a whole practice every once in a blue moon, usually when my mom is in town. I'll catch bits here and there, especially if someone says s/he has something I absolutely must see. I do still walk them into the gym and give them a hug before I leave, which has become somewhat annoying but is still barely tolerable to my DD.

I think as soon as their practices are 2 or more hours at a time it's sensible to drop them off. It also depends on the maturity of the child. However, if a kid is in the gym multiple times a week for two or more hours at a time, by then they have learned the discipline and independence to where you as a parent can leave them there during practice without worry, regardless of their age.

Also, the nice thing about the gym my daughter is at, is that it's inside a fitness center, so I could potentially work out while she's at practice, the treadmill area is even right next to the gym windows so parents could watch their kids while on the treadmills.
Whether or not I'm ever going to be motivated enough to actually get a membership and work out....I'll be honest, might not ever happen

Not that uncommon, but I've never seen a class that was majority dads.

I started dropping off probably when practices started going over 2 hours. I still stay and watch a whole practice every once in a blue moon, usually when my mom is in town. I'll catch bits here and there, especially if someone says s/he has something I absolutely must see. I do still walk them into the gym and give them a hug before I leave, which has become somewhat annoying but is still barely tolerable to my DD.
You hug them in public? Like in front of their friends? You might as well just wear your underwear on the outside of your pants and just be embarrassing all the time ;)

Disclaimer: I'm being 100% sarcastic, I fully advocate embarrassing my children as much as possible, it's our God given right :)

Started dropping off once practices went from 90 minutes to 4 hours - DD was 7, boys were 6 and 10. My boys still want me to watch on occasion but DD would rather I not - she is more accepting of me being there now after all she's transitioned through, and because she now (I think) finally believes that I don't care if she ever brings home a ton of metal again....just proud she's out there.

I'm a divorced mom and work about 30 hours a week, for 4 years my kids were actually at 2 different gyms and drop off and pick up and meets, etc did not correspond. Had to have help from grandparents and babysitters - rarely their dad (admittedly partially because of his schedule, but also his difficulty with planning...). Now they are all at the same gym and the 2 olders do the same 5 days a week, younger only 4 - the boys end up sitting at the gym 30 minutes before they start and the girl waits a half hour for the boys to finish...dinners are less than optimal and although we've homeschooled until this year, my 2 olders will be going to a proficiency model school (for 8th and 9th grade) next year - which means modified schedule but still about 3-4 days a week they'll have to get dressed and out the door in the am for a few hours at school....I'm not sure how we will make it all work. financially I had NO IDEA what I was getting into - but honestly DD was on team track before we divorced and I made a lot more when I could work full time (I'm a Pediatrician). I also started them all on private violin lessons before the divorce, not realizing that I'd be selling my soul now that they are in middle school and one going into high school with gym and serious music - and yes, 50% of our lifestyle revolves around those 2 things. Luckily they can all do them together, so no one feels left out! I did buy a nice big comfy safe SUV for driving over the mountains to gym meets last year - felt guilty until that first big snowstorm! If a big part of the family life involves gym meets they better be somewhat fun...

We live in a small town and lots of families do carpool - we are too far out in the country to make that work consistently, but there is usually someone to help me out in a pinch!

I stopped watching when sessions went over an hour (making the drive back worth it).
Some of the other kids sports no watching allowed ever. So from when they started, in one case 4 and a half.

I would say at our gym even for the 1 hour classes only about 1/4 of parents stay from what I've seen.
Levels parents never stay.

I stopped watching when sessions went over an hour (making the drive back worth it).
Some of the other kids sports no watching allowed ever. So from when they started, in one case 4 and a half.

I would say at our gym even for the 1 hour classes only about 1/4 of parents stay from what I've seen.
Levels parents never stay.
Except those that have to drive an hour each way... They just go and get food in the middle.

Let's see, I stayed to watch all the time until she was in first grade, so 6. Then I would sometimes watch and sometimes run a few errands in the hour that she was in class. Once she moved to 2 hours each then it was worth it for me to go home or do longer errands while she was there. And when it went to 5 days a week then I really stopped watching because I need to get things done, plus on 2 of those days it is in the afternoon while I am still at work. There are moms who still stay and watch every minute of practice, even for tween/teen girls, which I find odd, but then I also acknowledge I'm pretty big into independence and being capable on your own. Our gym frowns on dropping them off at the curb but I do it anyway -- there is never enough parking and I can see her into the door, plus she's in middle school so I think it would be silly to walk her in! They won't let any child, regardless of age, leave without an adult so I do have to walk in and get her.

I don't stay at 5yo DS's one hour class. Only because it is SO squishy, literally no room to move, and I can't see anything anyway. I don't go home though, I go do some shopping or sit in the car and read a book.

I've never stayed at DD's gym. They have a very strict no spectator policy.

You hug them in public? Like in front of their friends? You might as well just wear your underwear on the outside of your pants and just be embarrassing all the time ;)

Disclaimer: I'm being 100% sarcastic, I fully advocate embarrassing my children as much as possible, it's our God given right :)

I love embarrassing my DD. It's really the highlight of my existence. I recently bought myself some light up Skechers (yes, I have kids size feet) and now she won't walk next to me in public. :D

So at practice today, I definitely reassured myself that I need to talk to the gym. The next level up practices at the same time as dd, and some of the girls in that class don't have all the skills my daughter does. Dd can do everything (and more) in the class she's in now.
When dd was working on her handstands, another mom looked at her and said "wow, look at that little girl, the coach needs to see that, I can't believe she's not even watching" - when some other kids parent says that about your kid, you know you're not just crazy.
When class was over I asked her coach "so how do you think dd is doing?" (To hopefully strike a conversation)
She just said "great"...and walked away.
There's no one at the front desk right when dd's practice is over, so I'll say something next time we're there. I just don't want to seem like an annoying parent, I will just casually ask how they think her progress is, and will ask about the track to team so they know we're interested in it.
Today just frustrated me so I'm kind of glad I didn't say anything today...I would have sounded way more like a crazy gym mom at that point.

So at practice today, I definitely reassured myself that I need to talk to the gym. The next level up practices at the same time as dd, and some of the girls in that class don't have all the skills my daughter does. Dd can do everything (and more) in the class she's in now.
When dd was working on her handstands, another mom looked at her and said "wow, look at that little girl, the coach needs to see that, I can't believe she's not even watching" - when some other kids parent says that about your kid, you know you're not just crazy.
When class was over I asked her coach "so how do you think dd is doing?" (To hopefully strike a conversation)
She just said "great"...and walked away.
There's no one at the front desk right when dd's practice is over, so I'll say something next time we're there. I just don't want to seem like an annoying parent, I will just casually ask how they think her progress is, and will ask about the track to team so they know we're interested in it.
Today just frustrated me so I'm kind of glad I didn't say anything today...I would have sounded way more like a crazy gym mom at that point.

Sounds like your daughter is doing great. I think most of us can admit it does feel good when a third party (like another random parent) genuinely notices and remarks on your child's ability. :rolleyes: :D

Make sure you get a conversation with the right person, though. The front desk may be a good start but often doesn't have much info on your daughter's progress, and may be minimally helpful about path to team. Ask about talking specifically to whomever makes decisions about team/pre-team. "Hi, my daughter has developed a love for gymnastics and is highly interested in competing for a team. Who do I need to talk to about the team path?" If there's an obvious clear answer/process, start there. If they seem unsure, ask if there is either a pre-team or compulsory coach you can talk to, and how to best set up a meeting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back