Parents What to do when academics and college gymnastics are are different wage lengths

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

During the winter break, my DD applied to our district speciality centers. She was accepted into all of them! So she will choice shortly after shadowing and make her letter of intent by Feb 10.
My DD has her eyes set of specific universities before she was in middle school so her academic goals are becoming closer with these opportunities she has worked for.
I have always been academics first. As she is.
But the colleges she is looking at are D1. And unless I’m looking at something wrong they don’t have a club.
She is 8th grade, 14 yrs old, Xcel silver with an 38 overall.
The closer she gets to her academics which is amazing because she would be the first in our family for this accomplishment the longer her gymnastics seems to be.
Based on what I have read, transitioning to JO would not be in her best interest given her age and level. Correct me if I’m wrong here please.
She won’t be a D1 we know that. But to be a A&T or Club or D3 would be just as well to us.
I’ve been trying to look out for college clinics or camps and using Ryzers website but no real activity. At other website out there that you can advise?
Our gym has produced a Xcel Platinum to an A&T before, D1 men’s, D2 women’s.
Her achievements are amazing and I’m just a mom to keep her in the best of both worlds as she again will the first to accomplish more than we have.
Any suggestions on how to keep the best of both worlds or will we just ride gymnastics out until her academic dreams are completed and she goes to college ?
No wrong answers here. Just a mom venting and hoping both dreams can happen.

I am having a bit of a hard time understanding what you are getting at here. A 14 year old silver honestly shouldn't be making college decisions based on gymnastics opportunities. I would focus on academics and then if she happens to choose a school with a club team, great. Otherwise she might look into gyms close to the university where she might be able to take adult classes to stay active in the sport.

I agree with the other replies that you've received. As a 14 yo silver, I would definitely focus on academics and let her have fun with gymnastics in Xcel. When she gets into high school, she will probably be much busier with homework and other activities that can boost her college applications, such as clubs and volunteering.

It makes sense. You are correct that as a 14 year old silver there really is no chance of making a D1 team so if she wants to do gymnastics in college then she would need to find a college that has a club type team.

I don’t know how early kids in the US have to make college decisions. I. Australia they don’t decide until the end of 12th grade. Does this decision need to be made so soon?

A lot can change in the high school years, she may not even want to do gymnastics in College by the time she is 18.

It makes sense. You are correct that as a 14 year old silver there really is no chance of making a D1 team so if she wants to do gymnastics in college then she would need to find a college that has a club type team.

I don’t know how early kids in the US have to make college decisions. I. Australia they don’t decide until the end of 12th grade. Does this decision need to be made so soon?

A lot can change in the high school years, she may not even want to do gymnastics in College by the time she is
For most colleges in the US, May 1st of senior year is the commitment date for first-year college students. That date can be different if applying early decision or for other reasons but in general it is May 1.

Unless you have a legit shot at making an Olympic squad then this really isn't much a choice. Go to a good school versus a mediocre one that might let you do gymnastics for another 4 years? Nah.

Tell her to check out UC Berkeley. Great school. Great club gymnastics program. There is also at least one Ivy with a club program (mine).

She is young. So much can change between now and then. My dd always wanted to go to a particular college from the time she was like 5. Both for gymnastics and academics. All the way up until she started seriously looking at colleges in soph/jr years. And she realized it was not the right school for her academically. Help her to keep her thoughts and options open until she is closer to the decision making process.

As for club gymnastics. I can't remember who it was but within the past year, there was a forum member who posted resources for how to find the colleges with club gymnastics programs. Maybe doing a search for "college club gymnastics" on this forum produce it. Also, there are some private club gyms that allow adult gymnasts to train, especially if they are coaching for them. So that's another option.

Unless your DD already has skills way more advanced than Silver, time just isn't on her side for getting to where she needs to be to even try for D3. There are some D3 schools that have Xcel kids on their roster however I'm not sure you will find these schools appropriate for your DD considering her academic talent. Tumbling could be an option, but again you may find that these schools are not the best fit for your kid from an academic standpoint. It sounds like you are thinking 'big' for colleges, if I were you I'd cross reference the list of R1 schools with schools that have club gymnastics. Many have club programs or at least they did before the pandemic.

My DD and I went through a similar process when she was college shopping. She was interested in competing but D3 was the only realistic option for her. She also did well in high school and had a lot of options for bigger schools. We made 2 lists - one list of schools where she could do gymnastics and another not based on gymnastics. I'll be honest, the list of appropriate gymnastics schools was very, very small and despite living in the heart of D3 gymnastics in Wisconsin/Minnesota only 1 school had the right academics for my DD. Several in the east did though. My DD was contacted and followed by A&T coaches but most of those schools were totally unappealing for my kid. For my DD it came down to 2 serious contenders where she could continue with gymnastics, we then looked at grad school placements to make sure she would have options available to her and based on this, one school was a standout and it was a D3 out east. (And in the end it didn't matter anyways because she retired over the summer but she's doing great with academics - deans list, research with a prof, other awards).

Mine is a L9 sophomore. Right now, she can't imagine retiring at the end of Sr. year, so she's looking at schools that have club. Most of the schools that she thinks are a good academic fit are D1. I do with there were more D2 and D3 programs.

Mine is a L9 sophomore. Right now, she can't imagine retiring at the end of Sr. year, so she's looking at schools that have club. Most of the schools that she thinks are a good academic fit are D1. I do with there were more D2 and D3 programs.
There are a few really good academic D3s in the east. Clearly, it depends on potential major. Anyone wanting to be a PT, Springfield has an excellent combination program where you graduate in 6yrs with a DPT. Just an example.

Cross this bridge when you get to it. Gymnastics may feel super important to her right now but she’ll probably have totally different hobbies and priorities by the time college rolls around.

Having just been through the college process over here my advice is focus on the schools and her academic interests. It was a tough year for admissions all around, just beyond competitive with schools in the 20% and under acceptance rates and To further limit your choices with club gymnastics will do you no favors. Cast a wide net and if she finds a school that happens to have club then it will be a plus.

To further limit your choices with club gymnastics will do you no favors. Cast a wide net and if she finds a school that happens to have club then it will be a plus.
Just starting the process

We are prioritizing. Area of academic interest, distance, area, affordability are on the list. As is club gymnastics. It’s not the only thing but it’s up there on the list. And why shouldn’t it be?

We have come across schools that have club gymnastics but nothing she is interested in studying so off the list. We have come across schools that are have areas of study she interested in and club gymnastics and not anywhere she wants to go geographically. Off the list.

Eventually choices will have to be made. But yes club gymnastics is a factor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back