Off Topic What to do with old competition leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdoesgymnastics

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
My daughter's team is getting new leos this year and now we have a $450 piece of spandex and mesh sitting in her closet. I find it pointless to just have it hang there and collect dust. What did you guys do with yours???

I know of many people who take there old competition Leos to a tailor and get the sleeves taken off. They can be worn as a practice leo then. I personally have put mine into a shadow box and hung it in my room with a medal or two that was important to me from the seasons I wore that leotard. Its only a small shadow box like 2 feet by 2 feet so the leo is folded to see one arm and the body off it. Then as you get more and more its a nice reminder of the accomplishments you have.

I have a feeling that once the crystals have been heated up (to remove them), they won't work as "hot fix" crystals anymore. You'll have to use glue instead of the hot fix tool. Also, they'll probably leave marks/stains when you remove them, so I wouldn't plan on using the leo for anything after.

I personally like @Jmrhgymnast 's idea of putting it in a shadow box. I've seen that done a few times and it can be very cute if you add a few pictures from competition and a medal or two. Particularly a good idea if she had a noteworthy season (made it to states/regionals, landed a new skill in competition, overcame a major mental block... Something like that)

Either way, let us know what you do!

Do you use straight pins to hold it in place when doing the shadow box thing? I like that idea and want to try it.

And what size shadow box works best?

The size depends on how much of the leo you want to show! I've seen it done with a small box (better for a smaller room) with the Leo folded into a square showing just the bodice (where most of the bling is anyways). The sleeves were just folded back and then the bottom half is folded upwards and behind if that makes sense. I've also seen a huge one where the Leo was left unfolded. If you go that route you may want to bring the Leo shopping with you to ensure it will fit.

I imagine you could glue some foam or cork board to the back of the frame, and then stick pins into that to hold the Leo in place. You could also cover the cork/foam with fabric first for a nicer look. Good luck!

Our comp leotards aren't nearly as expensive. A couple girls removed the sleeves at the shoulder seams and wear them for practice. Several others wear them, as is, for practice. My OG never got the chance to wear hers for competition. She had me turn it into a 3/4 sleeve leotard to wear for practice.

Some girls have kept all of their team leotards... If they stay with the team thru Senior year, for their last home meet, we have a display... Mostly pictures and well-wishes / memories, but if they have their old team leotards we display them too :) The last graduate we had also had her warmups and we displayed them all.

Do you use straight pins to hold it in place when doing the shadow box thing? I like that idea and want to try it.
The shadow box I have had a cork back. I just used pushpins to hold the leo up but put the pins on the inside of the leo, like in between the front and back, so you are not able to see them.

1497204407665.jpeg
This is her current wall of gymnastics, I'm sure we can fit a shadow box somewhere in there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back