What to eat!?!?! (and do?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys.
Soo I am currently 5'6'' and fluctuate around 127 ish pounds
Im trying to lose weight to get around 120-115 lbs, but I have no idea what exactly to do.
I only go to gym once or twice a weeks, so that alone isnt going to help me lose weight/tone up, so some out of gym exercises would be appreciated (beginner please! :eek:)

Also, in my whole trying to make my diet better thing, Ive realized that my diet isnt THAT bad. Im a starch girl, but i thrive on oatmeal, and relatively healthy cereals (special k is the best with dried cranberries and bananas), and whole wheat and spelt breads. I dnt even like fast foods (they give me heartburn :eek:) But in my effort to try to cut some of these carbs out of my diet, I realized that idk what to eat for snacks besides special k 90 calorie bars, and toast and stuff. What kind of snacks can I eat that are healthy that arent starchy. (That dont have a shelf life of like 3 days) I need something that can stay in my cupboard until im ready for an "on the go" snack.

Sooo any ideas? Exercises? Foods?

If you need to be able to keep the snacks in the cupboard and not a frig, how about dried fruits (raisins, apricots, apples, etc.), nuts or trail mix. I also like fruit juices instead of sodas.

Oh the fridge is fine, but i just need things that arent going to go bad after 3 days =)
thanks for the ideas, I LOVE dried fruit, and cnt believe i didnt think about it =D

Frozen fruit is awesome too. Kelly Clarkson loves frozen grapes, but I love frozen pineapple...it's kind of like a popsicle I guess.

As for exercises, going on nightly walks would probably be sufficient; you could jog or bike if you like that better. Or you could mix running/walking-5 minutes run, 5 minutes walk. Pilates is really great too, especially if you are thinking about doing any running; it's great for your core and stretches your hips and hamstrings really well. Yoga is good for posture and lengthening, which can help with weight loss.

By the way what level gymnast are you? I could probably help more if I knew where you were at.

Dried and frozen fruits ARE really good :) if you are looking to lose weight i wouldn't do nuts because they have high fat. Carrots are a veggie that don't go bad so quickly, and you can dip them in salad dressing and stuff. I personallyt like bread also, but discovered that if it's not in the house, than i don't want it so bad. Ask whoever you live with if you can keep the junk food out of the house, or hidden somewhere you don't know. :) its a funny sounding idea but hey, it works.

Hey guys.
Soo I am currently 5'6'' and fluctuate around 127 ish pounds
Im trying to lose weight to get around 120-115 lbs, but I have no idea what exactly to do.
I only go to gym once or twice a weeks, so that alone isnt going to help me lose weight/tone up, so some out of gym exercises would be appreciated (beginner please! :eek:)

Also, in my whole trying to make my diet better thing, Ive realized that my diet isnt THAT bad. Im a starch girl, but i thrive on oatmeal, and relatively healthy cereals (special k is the best with dried cranberries and bananas), and whole wheat and spelt breads. I dnt even like fast foods (they give me heartburn :eek:) But in my effort to try to cut some of these carbs out of my diet, I realized that idk what to eat for snacks besides special k 90 calorie bars, and toast and stuff. What kind of snacks can I eat that are healthy that arent starchy. (That dont have a shelf life of like 3 days) I need something that can stay in my cupboard until im ready for an "on the go" snack.

Sooo any ideas? Exercises? Foods?

127 for your height really is a healthy weight for a small framed person. I think anything lower than 120 would be too low.

Height ..sm frame ....med frame... lg frame
5' 6"..... 120-133..... 130-144 .....140-159

With that said if you must diet the best advice I can give is read the label. Learning what the label means for you is important. Low calories doesn't mean healthy for you. Lots of the snacks folks think are "good for them" really have lots of things you don't want. for example lots of folks now are drinking the "vitamin water" thinking healhty but if you read the label your better off with full sugar Cola. Look at the serving size lots of these labels will list the calories for one serving but sometimes what we eat really equals 2 or more servings. The vitamin water is a good example - an average bottle of this stuff is 2 1/2 servings per bottle so the nutrition facts you have to multiply by 2.5 to get the real facts if you drink the whole bottle.

As a gymnast your burning plenty of calories every day but where those calories come from makes a huge difference.

measuring serving sizes and Cutting back on the carbs will help alot. Remember Carbs and sugar are the same thing. be careful with dried fruit -you tend to eat more dried fruits than you would if it were just the fruit in its natural form. for example 24 grapes can be a good hand full and satisfy you but 24 raisins .... not even filling. Becareful with cereal too. A bowl full isn't a 1/2 cup its more than a 1/2 cup - so the nutritional facts won't be correct if you don't measure the amount.

Nuts would be a better choice if your not allergic. A good trail mix with a balanced mix of nuts and fruites is always good.
In the end fresh is best so only buy what you know you can eat in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Good point with reading the labels! Since 6th grade, I've been pretty healthy (ahhh the nutrition unit), and at first, some of the labels were pretty surprising. I work at a cafe/restaurant and even though most of our food seems pretty healthy, I could definitely tell you some things to stay away from that you might not think were so bad.

Do you have a bike, or rollerblades? Those are good to do on your off days from gymnastics. If you are old enough, you might also look into a gym membership where you can use the equipment. There are gyms around where I live for $10/month.

(First of all you defenitely do not need to lose weight, so dont be too hardcore, but we can all relate to wanting to feel a little better about ourselves...I feel a little bad responding to this kind of post because I'm worried that by giving you advice it might make you fdeel like there really is something wrong with your weight..and there defenitely isn't! (But im not judging, feel the love :))maybe once you start eating slightly better and working out more you will get a little bit more confident about your body) You should check out hungry girl.com...they have these awesome delicious recipes that are versions of really delicious ridiculously high calorie foods all for under 200 calories...they aren't necesarily that nutritious, but if what you want is chocolate cake or something like that, this is defenitely the way to go! Also for snacks, you could try freeze dried fruit (the dry, really light stuff) like fruit to go fruit crisps...they are much lower in calories than regular dried fruit and just as delicious! And for exercise, you can rent some really great videos at blockbuster...and since you return them in a week, you'll never get bored! I hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back