Parents What to expect at College Camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is going to a college camp this summer.
What should she expect?

Disclaimer : She is a XCEL gymnast and will be moving to Gold after the State Meet in May. She will be going to 9th grade next year in the fall. Likelyhood of even being a walk-on is slim to none which we know that going in.

She wants to go to the camp to have fun, get more confidence, and its one of her top schools she would like to attend college at. This college does offer a club too so that is a plus if she wanted to persue after HS.

Thanks in advance!

really depends on the college as to how they set up their camps. How long the camp is as well. Some are all gymnastics all day long. Others include other activities like swimming. Most will do some type of evaluation then the gymnasts arrive and then split them into groups. If it's an overnight camp, they will usually stay in dorms and will have group bonding activities in the evening after dinner. The range of ages and levels in the camp usually varies from rec to L10, unless it is specifically for a certain group (college recruits, etc).

I’m sure each college varies, but at Arkansas last year they were split into groups by skill level. They did a fun group warmup with games, then did 6 rotations per day, vault, bars, beam, floor, tramp, dance. It was a lot of fun and at the end all the groups showed off their dance.

I’m sure each college varies, but at Arkansas last year they were split into groups by skill level. They did a fun group warmup with games, then did 6 rotations per day, vault, bars, beam, floor, tramp, dance. It was a lot of fun and at the end all the groups showed off their dance.
This is pretty much standard for all the large programs. I dont think any of the large programs even offer overnights anymore. They are just all day type affairs over a weekend, like Friday, Sat, Sun. Split girls up into several groups and rotate through stations. I have seen UF, Auburn, Alabama camps and they are all the same. Minor variations in stations, but all end with some type of dance they learned and open gym type thing to show skills.

This is pretty much standard for all the large programs. I dont think any of the large programs even offer overnights anymore. They are just all day type affairs over a weekend, like Friday, Sat, Sun.
Interesting. Did this happen after COVID? I just checked at our local college gym camp and sure enough, they are no longer overnight

really depends on the college as to how they set up their camps. How long the camp is as well. Some are all gymnastics all day long. Others include other activities like swimming. Most will do some type of evaluation then the gymnasts arrive and then split them into groups. If it's an overnight camp, they will usually stay in dorms and will have group bonding activities in the evening after dinner. The range of ages and levels in the camp usually varies from rec to L10, unless it is specifically for a certain group (college recruits, etc).
Interesting. Did this happen after COVID? I just checked at our local college gym camp and sure enough, they are no longer overnight
The one we are going to is a day camp 9-5 for 2 days and 9-12 last day.

I am curious if there are any overnight College camps left? I know my daughter would probably prefer that. Seems like a fun experience.

I am curious if there are any overnight College camps left? I know my daughter would probably prefer that. Seems like a fun experience.
Nebraska and MU still offer overnight but, Nebraska I think is just their high performance camp. I really hate that so many colleges have stopped doing them after covid. It feels like the colleges discovered they could still charge as much but save the Time and cost of overnights. Maybe that’s just me being pessimistic but there seems to be no good reason to not start them again. They were a great for the kids to experience and, it saved us parents from having to not only pay for the camp but then also take time off, pay for the hotel room and basically be stuck in a state while our kids do gymnastics all day. Also, most colleges are still charging close to the same price for the commuter camps ! Not trying to be too negative here , I would just love to see them come back!

My son is attending an overnight/residential at University of Illinois. None of our other camps offered overnight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back