What was your experience like at International Gymnastic Camp? (If you went there)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnasticlover78

Hi everyone ! I was wondering what International Gymnastics Camp was like because I really want to go and I want to know what it was like from some one who actually went there. Are the coaches/counselors nice? What is it like from day to day ? Do they really take cell phones away ? Do you learn a lot in 1 week ? What was your total experience? Every comment is appreciated. Thanks !:)

Hiiiiiiiiiii :)

The coaches are nice. The counselors are super super nice :D They really make you feel comfortable and make sure you don't feel left out.

When you check in and get to know the people in your cabin. You're separated by height and the coach will ask you what skills you're capable of on floor and bars. They spot it and give you a number and then this is how we're grouped

A typical day ,except for when we take our cabin photos, starts with wake up. Then depending on your cabin, you get dressed for the gym before breakfast or get breakfast and go back to your cabin after eating. After breakfast, we have warmup in your first event gym. Warmup is awesome, it's a choreographed routine :) After warmup, we go to our first, second and third event. After the third, we head to the cabins and head to lunch. After lunch, we head back to the gyms for our next 3 events. After gym, we have recreation which is rock climbing, spaceball, the lake, swimming, bounce house, waterslide or just hanging out. after recreation is cabins then if you're going to open gym, you change before you go to dinner. After dinner, we head to open gym or recreation. After recreation, we go to the cabins and get ready for the event of the night. There's a different event every night. After the event, its Social hour from 9-10. Some counselors let you leave early if you'd like. After social hour you get ready for bed and lights out at 10:45.

They DO take cell phones so give it in to the office or leave it with your parents.

My first time at igc, I learned SOOOOOOOOOOO much! I was starting level 5 at the time and I left there with level 6 skills such as baby giants, clear hips, roundoff bhs back tuck, front handspring front tuck and sooo much more. But it depends on the gymnast because some leave with just improvements on skills they already had.

My total experience was amazing! but when I went there this summer, i realized they spot alot for safety and everything is just about into the pit except bars and beam...and a little bit of skills on floor. This may bother some people but I didn't mind it too much soooo...

IGC = AWESOME! :D :D

Let me know if I helped at all :)

This summer I went to IGC for the first time. It was alot of fun and the counselors/coaches are extremely nice. The coaches are also really well qualified. The schedule is like sunshinegymnast said. I went to the trainer there because I broke my finger on the second to last day and they where really nice to everyone that came in weather you needed tape or a trip to the e.r. The nurses are also really nice and if you have to stay there overnight you get to play on an ipad. They do take your phones away but alot of girls in my cabin secretly kept theirs. Also, while your there you get to meet someone famous and get your picture with them ... I met Nastia!

The parts that I didn't like was that they spot every skill for safety ... most things are into a pit except beam and some bars. Also, it is a great place with huge pits and great food but the website is kinda deceiving.

Overall I had a great time and I hope to go back!

You both helped so much :D !!! Especially Sunshinegymnast but @lavinmeg how is the website deceiving ?

Don't get me wrong it's still a great place but the gyms look bigger than they actually are and the place where you eat is not as great as they make it seam. The gyms are still HUGE and the eating area is still good but the website just threw me off a little. if you get the chance to go there I would defiantly recommend going.

I went there for two years and i absolutely loved it. The counselors and coaches were super nice. I didn't learn a lot of skills necessarily because it's only a week but i learned a lot of techniques. What i didn't like is the fact that yes, they do take cell phones away. Which isn't really a problem because you're busy the entire time. It only becomes a problem is you get homesick which i did but my friends and counselors helped me get through it. It's a great experience and it's so much fun. Every week there is a new elite/former elite gymnast. One of the weeks i was there, it was Blain Willson. My friends and I got into a water gun fight with him. :) it was a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend going.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back