WAG What Were They Thinking - BWO Clinic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Looks like they changed the flyer to ages 5-9. Guess whatever you said to them worked. :)
I am so happy they changed it.
The BWO Clinic is 5 and Up now.
5-9 (and 10 & Up) is the BHS Clinic.
I hate BWO, but I will take it because I know they do drills and skills that lead to it before even doing bridges ... so it won't be just BWO for an hour.

Our gym refuses to even touch bridges until the gymnast is at least 5 years old... and then it's subjective to their development, core and back strength and flexibility. We will sometimes have girls only learn bridges at age 7 or 8, because they don't have the control and muscle to correctly do it.

Just curious why they shouldn’t be done before age five. I know you are supposed to wait, just don’t know the why behind it.

Just curious why they shouldn’t be done before age five. I know you are supposed to wait, just don’t know the why behind it.
Their backs aren't developed enough. Sometimes, their arms aren't long enough, ESPECIALLY at 3. Technique will suffer and they will put stress on their back that can lead to long term problems.

There are other reasons, but that is what our team ortho said several years ago.

I am a pediatric physical therapist and strongly agree with the wait until bridging/back walkover work until at least 5 years old and limiting the bridging/bwo work for all gymnasts.

The link below is a 2008 blog post by Beth Gardner that clearly explains the "why".

http://gymsmartscommunity.com/bethgardner/2008/05/26/bridging-in-preschoolers/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back