WAG What Were They Thinking - BWO Clinic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I understand the concept of learning bridges and back walkovers... but offering the clinic to girls as young as 3??? That is just crazy!! PLUS, there will be "independent" stations - with 3 year olds!
A recipe for disaster, imho.
BWO Clinic.png

Considering that kids shouldn’t be doing bridges until age 5 I would definitely be a little concerned. Now, if they were doing a basic tumbling clinic covering a range of skills (rolls, handstands, cartwheels, etc.) that would be different.

Considering that kids shouldn’t be doing bridges until age 5 I would definitely be a little concerned. Now, if they were doing a basic tumbling clinic covering a range of skills (rolls, handstands, cartwheels, etc.) that would be different.
I agree completely... but with this being just for bridges and BWO, no way should it be for 3 year olds. Hopefully parents are smart enough NOT to go, but they dont know any better with the littles for the most part.

I wonder if they also plan to spend an entire hour doing back arching skills!

I wonder if they also plan to spend an entire hour doing back arching skills!
I also had that question. Is this from a gymnastics club? Or some kind of dance center that also teaches "tumbling" classes? Because surely someone who knows gymnastics wouldn't have agreed to this.

Is this your gym? I could be confusing you with another poster, but was this also the gym that last year had some outdoor performance where they had their gymnasts doing all sorts of difficult skills on asphalt or some similarly hard surface? I remember the thread being about a leo issue.

Is this your gym? I could be confusing you with another poster, but was this also the gym that last year had some outdoor performance where they had their gymnasts doing all sorts of difficult skills on asphalt or some similarly hard surface? I remember the thread being about a leo issue.
You must be confusing me with someone else. It's not my gym... HC would never allow something like this.

Also a waste of money because it is not like a 3 year old will learn a back walkover in one hour. What independent stations could a three year old even be doing for a backwalkover? My three year olds can only remember or do random obstacle type things then I help with rolls at a spotted station, but if I was like then you're going to go over there and put your hands down here and do a bridge, then kickover, 100% that's not going to work. It has to be super obvious.

And I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in about how they have entire teams of three year olds who are training level 3, but I dunno. That's not my experience.

Also a waste of money because it is not like a 3 year old will learn a back walkover in one hour. What independent stations could a three year old even be doing for a backwalkover? My three year olds can only remember or do random obstacle type things then I help with rolls at a spotted station, but if I was like then you're going to go over there and put your hands down here and do a bridge, then kickover, 100% that's not going to work. It has to be super obvious.

And I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in about how they have entire teams of three year olds who are training level 3, but I dunno. That's not my experience.
I've heard about putting notes down for the 3 year old that can read, but they often even forget what to do at a spotted station. Heck, even my 6 and 7 year old struggle with remembering what to do and will often skip or forget it unless someone says something

That's scary. Not a fan of BWOs at any age. Hated that my 8-year-old did BWOs on beam every day for months training for level 5 and throughout the level 5 season, THEN the coaches decided on BWO-BWO for her level 7 season. She complained about back soreness way too often that year, and it makes me uncomfortable even thinking about the fact that I stayed out of it and allowed it too happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back