Parents What would she do without her cell phone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippymonkeysmom

I knew my dd was a mama's girl - but she is really cracking me up. I took her to camp yesterday and she has called me about 10 times already. She called yesterday while I was on my way home to tell me how skill testing went, then called later to say good night. Today I have gotten updates on what she had for breakfast, lunch, how morning practice went, afternoon practice, friends she met, what new skills she is working on, etc. She said she is having a lot of fun too - and she really likes all the girls she met and the coaches she is working with. Of course I have to be honest - I like hearing from her so much - she has only been gone for a day and I already really miss her.

Awww! That is so cute! Well, they always say cherish these moments because when they are older in college, they hardly ever call home! I think that is so sweet--she obviously loves her mom so much and wants to call you and tell you all about her day. Precious!!!

Thats cute! I know my dd had to call me when she had a sleepover at a friends house a month ago (it was her first one ~ she wanted to say goodnight to me) I love how they still need us!! They grow up way to fast so
I will cherish every call Iget

Glad your dd is having such a good time!!!

Wow, the camp our girls go to has no cell phones and no phone calls. We just have to assume that they are fine!!!:eek:

Aren't you the lucky Mom. And she is the lucky girl, my 16 year old is asking for a cell phone, I just remind him that one day he'll have job and be able to afford one...:D

Aw! That is so sweet. I was checking out IGC for my girls, and I hear they don't allow any contact from the kid to the parent. I believe they can only contact them if the parent calls. Oh well, there is always letters.:p Hope she is having lots of fun!

Aww!! Thats so cute.:D

At Lake Owen the girls that got packages from home were the envy of the cabins.:p Then girls would call ther parents and ask them to send them something:rolleyes:

The first year DD went to camp I didnt hear from her at all - I went home every night and waited by the phone for a call. It was a long week.

The last 2 years at Lake Owen I heard from her a couple times.

This is the first year she has a cell phone, but from past experience, the reception isnt very good so we will see what happens.

I am glad to hear your Gymmie is having a great time!

That is awesome! Sounds like you two have a great relationship! Cellphones rock!

I got mad at first when they got my niece one because she is so young. But now we text everyday all the time! I am now closer to her then before! :) So I am loving it!!

I was really against these young kids having cell phones too when all their friends started getting them. Obviously I caved on this one - but more for me - I like being able to get in touch with her and vice versa. There have been times that she didn't want to hurt a friends feelings by telling them she didn't want to spend the night - so she texted me ahead of time so when she called to ask I knew to say no. A lot of the camps we looked into didn't allow cell phones or phone calls. She is at a camp at a university and they are staying in dorm rooms.

I think she is having fun at camp - but I can also tell she is definitely also a little home sick. I'm glad I picked a shorter camp for her first experience :)

Aw! That is so sweet. I was checking out IGC for my girls, and I hear they don't allow any contact from the kid to the parent. I believe they can only contact them if the parent calls. Oh well, there is always letters.:p Hope she is having lots of fun!
You're correct. IGC doesn't allow cell phones. You CAN, however, sign up for an email service. I believe that there's a certain time set aside for the girls to check their email. DD never used the email service nor had the need to call home. I only regret that I didn't send her a note or postcard! Some of the girls came to camp with preaddressed stamped envelopes, along w/stationary so that they could write home during the week. I wish I had thought of that!!!

-Lynn

Ok - now I am seriously happy she is able to call me. I would be totally freaking if I hadn't heard from her this morning before I read in the paper that 2 people were shot overnight at NC State University - yes that is where her camp is :eek: Just what I wanted to hear the first time she is away from home.

OMG that is terrifying. Glad your heart has now settled to it's normal pace.

Though very sad for families who have lost a loved one:(

Ok - now I am seriously happy she is able to call me. I would be totally freaking if I hadn't heard from her this morning before I read in the paper that 2 people were shot overnight at NC State University - yes that is where her camp is :eek: Just what I wanted to hear the first time she is away from home.

two of the girls from our gym went to camp there last week. That would be very scary. I just dropped DD off this morning for her first morning practice. HC decided to break up the team girls so the groups would be smaller. DD and one other L3 were invited to work w/ the L5 & up girls. I normally stay when she has practice but my husband had an appt and I didn't want to make DS sit there for 3 hours.

I am glad your DD had a cell and was able to tell you she is ok. I have thought about getting them for my kids too ( ages 8 & 11), but we have not caved in yet !

My 13 y.o. desperately wants one but we still say no. He is really never away from us and/or home so he doesn't need one..... yet.

Our gymnasts go to IGC and while there is a no-cell phone rule, one of my DD's friends did "sneak" a few phone calls to her mom, as well as a some text messages. She had to conserve her battery though since she could not openly charge it!

It is so nice when they can call like that. I know DD got her Cell phone when I started work. DS got one too. Yes I am a crazy parent. DD 5 and DS 7 both have pre-paid ones that they use during practices. DD will give it to her coach if she needs to talk. Sometimes she just wants to tell me something that happened before I got there sometimes she is just missing me and needs to hear my voice. I am so happy we can do that.

Don't flame me because they have them. It was because I have to leave them at practice to get the other one and I don't like to have to rely on others for their phone calls. DD was excited to see her bag for school had a pocket for her cell phone. I thought that was so cute.

You're correct. IGC doesn't allow cell phones. You CAN, however, sign up for an email service. I believe that there's a certain time set aside for the girls to check their email. DD never used the email service nor had the need to call home. I only regret that I didn't send her a note or postcard! Some of the girls came to camp with preaddressed stamped envelopes, along w/stationary so that they could write home during the week. I wish I had thought of that!!!

-Lynn

We used to send letters home from camp. But but they always got to the parents by the time the kids were home. So now we dont bother lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back