Parents What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
My daughter is 7 years old. She has been on Tiny Team for a little over a year now. Decisions were supposed to be made by now for anyone who would move up to to the Level 4 training group for next year, however as of yet we haven't heard anything about her being moved and it appears she'll be on Tiny Team for another year.

So here's the problem. Skill wise she is the most advanced gymnast in her class. I will be the first to admit she is lax on form at times, but she can do the entire Level 4 bar rountine, all of the beam routine but the dismount and they don't train the dismount in Tiny Team and she can do all of floor except the BHS, which again they aren't training on her team.

She's had 3 coaches this last year due to juggling of coaches at her gym, all of which have said they feel she should move up and to not move her up would be holding her back. In addition I don't know how many parents of other gymnasts have commented on her, wondering why she hasn't been moved up and asking when they're moving her up. Several of them have daughters on the team she'd be moving to so I'd think they know what it takes to compete at that level. We even took her to another gym to have her evaluated and they said she would be placed in their level 4 training group, but that gym is much further from our house. The only people who don't seem to think she's ready are the team coordinator and the Level 4 coach and despite what everyone else says, the final decision is theirs.

A couple parents have made the comment to me, "Moving of gymnasts in this gym is very political" which just made me gasp. I have a 7 year old working her butt off and she might not be moved up for "political reasons".

I admittedly do not know where she should be. I played basketball, not gymnastics... And I don't want to be a whiny parent but I have a daughter in tears nightly growing increasingly frustrated and this really can't continue.

Is it out of line for me to talk to the Team Coordinator? Should I just changed gyms? As a parent, if this was your child, what would you all do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

Hi there and welcome to the Chalkbucket.

I would call and make an appointment to speak to the team coordinator, not at the end of a class and not with your little one with you. Ask directly, but politely, what are the exact criteria to move up to L4 in the gym. Then you can explain, just as yuou have here, that you are confused as to why she hasn't been moved up when she appears to have many of the skills. Hopefully during this discussion things will become clearer for you.

You are paying for a service and just like any other srvice you deserve to be informed and also the coaches do need to be clear with you where they see your child in their gym.

Unfortunately this is gymnastics and these things happen in many gys, the stress of moving up, or not, causes a huge amount of stress for gymmies and their parents.

Good luck and stick around, we have many parents with kids the same age as yours, they all learn from each other.

Welcome to CB! Not to make light of your issue, but I just have to say that the name "tiny team" is just sooo adorable!!! I'd be tempted to keep my DD there just b/c of the name,LOL:D. But seriously, they should be giving you some feed back, as to plan & goals they have for your DD. I agree with Bog. Call and ask to schedule a meeting. They may think your happy just going along with whatever they do. Let them know you'd like to be an involved & supportive parent. And that you'd like to know what their plans for your DD are. Good luck!

Welcome!

Definitely talk to the gym you are at now. That way you will KNOW and then you can make your decision to switch or not to switch from there.

Good luck!

I agree with everyone. Talk to the director and ask them why she wasn't moved to level 4, what the requirements are, their plan for her, etc. Then you can make an informed decision.

We just left our gym and it was very difficult. I did talk to the owner though and was not met with any concern over my concerns, and that did make leaving a little easier as I knew I had tried.

Welcome to the CB!! This is a very fun and supportive place and lots of answers here. :D

I would talk to the director. Explain to them that you dont know a lot but you were told by all her coaches that she should be moving up and if she stayed down she would be bored so they understand why you are concerned.

Sharks---Welcome to the CB and the weird world of gymnastics. I would certainly talk with the team director and ask where dd is in the progression to the L4 team. The L4 coach and team director may see things you don't and you certainly have the right to know what their criteria is. Strange that they don't teach a bhs in a pre-team type program. Good form is important and becomes even more important as girls move up the levels. However, being a little loose occasionally should be able to be corrected by a team coach.

Hate to say it, but just about every gym has "politics" of one sort or another. Listen to what they say about dd and ask for their plan for her. If you decide to go to the gym that offered to put her on the L4 team, make sure you check out their program thoroughly to make sure the whole package---cost, booster club, tuition, practice hours are something that will fit with you.

GL and let us know how it all plays out.

Just read your post and wondering what feedback you got from the team coordinator?

Unfortunately I have gotten no feedback. She has not returned my phone message or responded to my email. I actually find it rather dismissive to not even respond to me. I had a long talk with one of her coaches Friday who is as floored as anyone at the current situation. The coaches feel there are 2-3 girls, my daughter included, who should have been moved up months ago. This particular coach is also one of the Level 4 coaches, so she knows what the girls on her team should be able to do.

For the mom who said it was odd about not training the back handsprings, I have to agree. All of the 6-7 year olds in the class are itching to learn them, but apparently the gym philosophy is to not push it. Half of the younger Level 4's from last year did not compete the skill until several meets into the season so it's obviously not a new train of thought there.

We will actually be trying a new gym today, it's about 50 minutes from where we live and is much more serious so I am sure my daughter will be behind. We'll see how it goes. I am just trying to get my happy little one back, not the one in tears nightly because she doesn't understand what more she can do to move up.

Sorry they haven't gotten back to you. It is frustrating to leave a message and not get any type of response, though I know at many gyms, it takes awhile for them to get back to you. Gyms are famous for having issues with communication. Our new gym actually has that reputation, mostly with the owner, but I think it is also because she is the HC as well. I have heard that when she does talk to you she listens and has been helpful with issues. Our old gym, the owners were always accesible, but parents either felt that nothing was done, or that they were not even really listened to. All gyms have issues and I think communication is always a big one at most gyms.

Good luck looking into other gyms.

I would put it in HC's court, what can be done so that she can move up, does she have a problem that mom can address by talking to her about some behavioral issue, or would she benefit from privates for a short term? Even if you're pretty sure it's none of the above. Start out acting like the assumption is that your daughter is missing something, the gym has a good reason for holding her back, and you need her expertise to tell you what so you can be part of the team to fix it. That you want a "treatment plan" for the issue, so to speak. If HC is not responsive at an actual meeting, I'd just give notice and leave super nicely. Maybe after a year or two it will be a good fit to move back to the closer gym.

I am so sorry, that all sounds so frustrating. The not training BH thing is wierd, that is a important skill to just kind of wait on. I hope your dd likes the new gym. Good Luck

Sharks---Welcome to the CB and the weird world of gymnastics. I would certainly talk with the team director and ask where dd is in the progression to the L4 team. The L4 coach and team director may see things you don't and you certainly have the right to know what their criteria is. Strange that they don't teach a bhs in a pre-team type program. Good form is important and becomes even more important as girls move up the levels. However, being a little loose occasionally should be able to be corrected by a team coach.

Hate to say it, but just about every gym has "politics" of one sort or another. Listen to what they say about dd and ask for their plan for her. If you decide to go to the gym that offered to put her on the L4 team, make sure you check out their program thoroughly to make sure the whole package---cost, booster club, tuition, practice hours are something that will fit with you.

GL and let us know how it all plays out.

It's so true that every Gym has its "politicts", but I think this sport in general is one big political arena right up to the judging. I don't know of any in our area where some parent isn't complaining about one thing or another.

Like everyone else here has suggested a private meeting with the coach AND owner at the same time without your child is best. So many parents complain and complain to each other but never to the people that have the answers. The coaches and owners aren't scary and they really do want to know when someone is upset. I don't know of any gym that doesn't want to improve their program.

Keep in mind too moving up isn't just about the physical skills they have. Talk to the coaches and see what their response is. If your not happy with it then maybe you need to consider moving even though it is further away.

let us know what happens

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back