1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Women's Artistic Gymnastics (WAG)' started by skittery, Aug 12, 2017.

1. skittery

skittery New Member Gymnast

Indonesia Indonesia
    After a wonderful summer of gymnastics while visiting in Canada, my family moved to a different country again.

There's no gymnastics programs here.

After a year in this new country I plan to go back to Canada and live there. Should I go back to gymnastics then? I'd have had a full year off from sports basically (they also don't have my other sport).

I'm already very old for my level and the girls in my level will be ready for level 7 next year. The girls one group below us are very young (like 7) and I would feel really insecure to train with such young girls.

What would you do?

2. Iwannabemargo

Iwannabemargo Numpty Watcher Proud Parent Former Gymnast

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't know any developed country with no gymnastics programme, I can only assume you are in an undeveloped country. Even then, if your family has moved for work there should be some sports facility where you can work out. If you want to carry on when you return then I would suggest you ask your coaches for a home conditioning programme ant try and practice some safe skills at home or at a gym ( splits, handstands, holds etc) to keep your strength and flexibility up. Try looking for crossfit and yoga classes as well, then when you come back you can see where you are.

skittery, dmbgymnast and sce like this.
  3. Wannabegymnast

Wannabegymnast New Member Gymnast

Finland Finland
    I would give it a try! Things tend to work out even when it's least expected. Good luck for you whatever you decide! :)

skittery likes this.
  4. 4theloveofsports

4theloveofsports Active Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    As Iwannabemargo states above, keep up with your conditioning. While there may not be a gymnastics club in close proximity to where you are currently living, you should be able to find some gym facilities. Regardless of whether you go back to gym when you get back to Canada, it is a good idea to stay in shape anyway. Additionally, you don't have to make a decision right now. A lot can happen in a year. I would go with how I feel and where I am when the time to make the decision rolls along. Good luck.

skittery and sce like this.

5. John

John Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    Agree with what others have said. Condition and then decide. Don't let training with younger kids chase you from following your dreams. Instead think of it as you can be a role model and big sister to them.

skittery likes this.
  6. coachmolly

coachmolly Verified Coach Verified Coach Former Gymnast

USA USA
    I agree with Iwannabemargo, try to find something else to keep you active while you're there and/or ask your coaches for gymnastics specific conditioning you can do with little or no equipment. While they might not have artistic gymnastics, some lesser developed countries do have things like sports acro, group gym, or other forms of gymnastics type activities that aren't as popular in the US/Canada. So do check out all the options at the local sports centers and schools. If there really is nothing even close to gymnastics offered, just staying active in other activities will be a huge help over doing nothing at all.

skittery likes this.
  7. skittery

Indonesia Indonesia
    Thanks everyone! We've contacted the Canadian gym and they said I could go straight into their T&T team if I wanted to (the girls/boys are my age or older generally), so I would like to try that. My mum's also found out that the hotel we're living in temporarily has fitness, conditioning and dance classes every hour! :)

sce, NY Dad, PinPin and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wannabegymnast

Wannabegymnast New Member Gymnast

Finland Finland
    That sounds great! :)

skittery likes this.
  9. skittery

Indonesia Indonesia
    Update: Found a gym that has a group of level 6+ girls with a 12-15 age range. Training is pretty close on Wednesday but more than an hour away on Fridays and Saturdays. They train 3x per week.

I might take a term off to play football or do musical theater (school starts tomorrow) but after that I hope to do gym again!

sce and Wannabegymnast like this.
  10. notthatmom

notthatmom Active Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    They have training at two different gyms? Is that a normal occurrence where you are? Just asking because I've never heard of that before

sce and skittery like this.
  11. skittery

Indonesia Indonesia
    No idea, this is the only gym around though (other than international schools' gyms but they are for rec classes).

sce likes this.
  12. Jard.the.gymnast

Jard.the.gymnast Coach Coach Gymnast

Netherlands Netherlands
    May we ask where you are moving?

13. skittery

Indonesia Indonesia
    Just moved to Jakarta

sce likes this.
  14. Jard.the.gymnast

Jard.the.gymnast Coach Coach Gymnast

Netherlands Netherlands
    sce likes this.
  15. skittery

Indonesia Indonesia
    There is two 30 to 45 minutes away but I'm not sure my mum would let me tumble on anything other than a spring floor. Thanks though!

There's also a girl in my dance class at school who does gym. On the far days we can carpool if we both choose to go, but I might just do one day a week instead of going far. That's what she currently does.

sce likes this.