Should she compete?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters

gymmum22

Proud Parent
So my daughter hurt her ankle at training the other day and there is a possibility it may be broken. She has State Championships this weekend where she will most likely come first and be selected for nationals. I am unsure whether to let her compete or not given her ankle but she wants to. What should i do?

Is this real? I think anyone who is at a high enough level to be competing toward Nationals would not be asking if they should compete on a possible broken ankle. Also, you do not go straight from States to Nationals in USAG so what level/org are you talking about?
There have been a lot of trolls on here lately, so just checking :)

Is this real? I think anyone who is at a high enough level to be competing toward Nationals would not be asking if they should compete on a possible broken ankle. Also, you do not go straight from States to Nationals in USAG so what level/org are you talking about?
I thought the same thing when I read it earlier, LOL. I don't know much about elite/Nationals but it came across as...odd. I was wondering if this was outside the US, or non-artistic gymnastics...

Anyway, NO to competing with a broken ankle! (putting on my nurse's cap here)

OP's profile says he or she is from Australia. Giving the benefit of the doubt to new posters would be nice...

Anyway, have a doctor check her ankle. Just think about the message you send to your daughter if you let her compete : is her health worth more than a competition (nationals included) ? Is it normal, or worse, expected, to compete on what I assume is a lot of pain ?
I'm guessing you already know that the answer to both of those questions is no.

OP's profile says he or she is from Australia. Giving the benefit of the doubt to new posters would be nice...

Anyway, have a doctor check her ankle. Just think about the message you send to your daughter if you let her compete : is her health worth more than a competition (nationals included) ? Is it normal, or worse, expected, to compete on what I assume is a lot of pain ?
I'm guessing you already know that the answer to both of those questions is no.

The very reason why I asked. Most recently all of the fabricated posts were new members who were from other countries.

If in fact this is true, then of course the response is you get it checked out.

Does broken ankle mean sprained ankle in Australia?

If it were a broken ankle as in the bones are broken/dislocated I don't know how she would walk much less compete. If it were a light sprain and a PT was able to tape and brace the ankle in a way were a light injury wouldn't become a major injury than that wouldn't be outside the realm of things many athletes put themselves through during the course of a competitive season. Of course a real in person doctor should be advising you on the best course of action.

1) You should not allow her to compete on an injury unless a doctor says it's okay. Taking care of the body should always always always take priority over competitive goals or training goals.

2) CB has a policy against asking for medical advice. Medical advice -- including diagnosis, treatment, and training restrictions -- should always come from doctors who have examined the athlete, not from strangers on an internet forum

So my daughter hurt her ankle at training the other day and there is a possibility it may be broken. She has State Championships this weekend where she will most likely come first and be selected for nationals. I am unsure whether to let her compete or not given her ankle but she wants to. What should i do?
Please have her ankle checked by a doctor.

In Australia Senior States are being held around this time in all states, and you do go straight from States to Nationals.

States is the qualifier for Nationals. Nationals is also from Level 7 and up, so they may not have been around the traps as long as those who would qualify for Nationals in Level 10.

Go to a walk in GP tomorrow, have it looked at. You should have no trouble getting an XRay tomorrow at the hospital or X Ray clinic, X Rays in Australia are free. It will cost you nothing but time to get this checked out, and then make the call.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back