What's in your warm up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

I am going to be taking a 2 hr class once a week for gymnastics. Can you please tell me what's in your team warm up? I am so excited and nervous because I have a feeling I will get tired after the warm up. So if ya want please list some things your warm ups consist of, I could use the help! By the way anyone that wants to reply can gymnasts, parents, and coachs feel free to post.

I coach a two hour class, and the girls start with running (but only about 3 minutes) and then do some kicks, long jumps, punches (buny hops) inchworms and bearwalks. (one to two lines of each) then they do rockers on all four sides, pike ups and pushups. Then they stretch. The whole thing only takes around 15 minutes, (assuming they dont cheat!) ...don't worry, you'll be fine...they'll work you up to whatever you need to do slowly. good luck!

Pretty much all of my classes (beg.-compulsories) start the same. Spring around the floor about 3 times, skip 2 times, chasses 1 time each direction, run backwards 1 time, 3 running steps into a punch 1 time around, and bear walks 1 time around. Sometimes I switch things around and take something out or add something different in, but that is the general idea. After that we just do general stretching stuff. Start standing up stretching neck, arms, shoulders then sit down for wrists, pikes, straddles, lunges/splits, ankles, bridges. I probably forgot some things, but that's the just of it.
Usually the warm-up itself is nothing too strenuous and I just expect each gymnast to try her best.
Good luck with your class and have fun!

hmmm....

well all i do (i take 3 hour classes Monday Wednesday Friday) is run for 8 minutes then stretch but we do a TON of conditioning. 60 pushups, 60 pikeups, 60 candelsticks.etc.

I am going to be taking a 2 hr class once a week for gymnastics. Can you please tell me what's in your team warm up? I am so excited and nervous because I have a feeling I will get tired after the warm up. So if ya want please list some things your warm ups consist of, I could use the help! By the way anyone that wants to reply can gymnasts, parents, and coachs feel free to post.

Well for DD it will depend on what day of the week it is as to what is done during warm up. the warm up will go with the skills that are being done that day.

As a rule Running for 10 - 15 min is always in there. Some type of stretching is always in there (splits straddles etc). After that it will depend on what they are doing. If it's bars they have a whole routine of bar conditioning, hand and arm streatches etc. If its beam floor or vault lots of varied warming up and conditioning with foot streatches

I think the general rule is start with aerobic exercise, so anything that gets the heart beating faster, raise body temp and gets you a bit sweaty. This can be anything from running, skipping, jumping etc to playing a game - we tend to do this with our younger rec kids.

After that do some stretches - starting with your head then work down the body:

Head, shoulders, arms, back and sides, hips, legs, ankles and wrists.

We usually finish on splits and bridges at our club.

A lot of clubs shy away from static stretches these days becuase studies show that static stretches actually reduce power, so instead of standing with straight legs and touching the floor, a lot of coaches would encourage backward leg kicks on each leg for example.
They would save the static stretches and holding splits for the very end of the session during cool down.

I love watching your daughter's videos, cher062. I always look foward to seeing updates!! She is such an amazing gymnast!!

well, i was level 6 team captain last year, and i would usually lead warm ups. ok, here it goes: first we start with running laps around the floor for about five minutes. after that, we roll out our wrists. for stretching out ankles, we roll them out first, then we stand up with our toes curled under. now, to stretch our calves, we flex our foot against a wall and lean forward. We hold it for about 15 seconds each foot. now for the shoulders. we would do about 10 arm circles each way. then we would do 5 tick tocks on each leg. (in case you don't know what tick tocks are, they are like back and forth walkovers, they are supposed to stretch your back.) and then 5 back bend stand ups, and then 5 hand stands. lastly we would do splits, good leg, bad leg, and middles. hope this helps!!

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back