Coaches What's the average wage everyone gets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kez

Hi,

I was just wondering what the average per hours wage everyone gets (please specify currency and level of responsibility)? I'm particularly interested in coaches in Australia.

The award wage I'm on (Health, Fitness & Indoor Sports Centre Award) is less than the Clerical & Administrative Employees Award that I earn at another job. Yet I believe I work harder and have more reponsibility coaching. I also do a lot of ground work at home as a coach whereas once I walk out that door for my other job all the work stays there.

I'd love to hear from other coaches. I was talking to a friend who worked in childcare and she laughed and basically told me that teaching/coaching people's precious children is not big business.

In any case I'm currently negotiating a new wage but I don't want to be unreasonable.

Kez

well, i don't think this will help you much because I am still a student under 18 and all but my wage is $9.00/hr (Canadian)

because:
-i have my level 1
-i have first aid and CPR (+50cents)
- i get 10cents extra per year of experience (i think iv been coaching for 3ish years)

also i coach rec ages 3-8

At one club I get $22/h and at the other I get $19.50/h

At the first club my wages went:

$10 - 14 y.o, no qualifications
$14 - I think when I got my level 1 quals and turned 16
$16 - I think I just got a raise??
$18 - turned 18,
$20 - turned 20 or 21??
$22 - got a raise because I do heaps of work and extra stuff plus I have been there for so long :)

The second club I also started on about $10 or $12 and it has gone up incrementally at random times since I started. I occaisionally look at my pay check and realise my pay has gone up!

-- at both these clubs as well as coaching we also have to set up the gym/pack it away
-- both of these are australian clubs as well

I get $12/hour (USD) when I coach at my university (rec classes).

I get $8/hour when I coach at my home gym (pre-team through L6).

I'm a USAG professional member, safety certified, CPR and first-aid certified, and also judge through L8 (testing 9 next summer).

I coach recreational classes only, I'm not quite 18 yet, and I get $9.25(CAN) per hour. I started out at minimum wage(aprox $8.50(CAN) per hour), but got a raise after I had been working at my club for a year.

$10.50 (USD) an hour.

I'm 21, and I've been coaching for four and a half years. I coach some rec, but mostly team, and I'm the boys head coach at my gym.

Great thread...Please make sure you post your currency when stating wages.

Oh, yeah - mine was USD. The difference is because I live in an area with relatively higher cost of living than where I usually work, due to where gyms are located. I get paid a lot more at the gym right by my house.

I get $15/hr NZD (before tax) at my club coaching competitive only (started at $11 6yrs ago). I have a Level 3 MAG, and a L3 WAG (well i have done all there is to do for the WAG, i just have to re qualify due to education system changes) coaching certificates, First Aid, and a Level 1 WAG and Level 2 MAG judge.
I am the head MAG coach in the club also. I do no rec. I am part time, as i only coach Competative, and i don't get paid for out side of work hours i put in.

I get $25 NZD (before tax) coaching adults.

Not sure about what others in the region get.

I'm not currently coaching because I'm concentrating on university right now, but when I was coaching in the spring I got $9 (Canadian) for coaching girls rec. It had been $8, but then minimum wage went up to $8.75.
I'm 19 years old and am a fully certified Level 1 Artistic and Trampoline coach, and I also had my First Aid and CPR-C certificate (it has since expired). I have 5 years of coaching experience.

$47,000/yr (usd) + benefits

I'm the head team coach, head optional coach.

I've made anywhere from 8/hr - 18/hr before this current position.

I just started a little over 2 months ago. I make $9/hr USD. I coach a prep op team. I used to coach in high school for I think $6/hr for rec classes.

Great topic Kez!
I'm just about to start a new coaching job and was also wondering what was a decent wage for an aussie coach! I'll let u know when I find out what i'll be getting xxx

Ouch Geoffrey. Of course, I'm sure cost of living is way lower in NC than CA, especially LA or SF.

If you look at USAG classifieds, you can see what some positions offer in various areas of the U.S. I have a vague idea what the full time coaches at the one city gym I worked at made because they were city positions.

At this time, I don't feel comfortable posting what I made recently. I do have ideas that the wages top out around 20/hr in the Sacramento area with maybe more towards the coaches that are elite level. I'd say in the Bay area it's probably around 30-35 at the high end.

In my experience most elite coaches are salary or own their own facility. I happen to fall under the salary category, but in speaking w/ other coaches around the country I would say that I'm pretty average.

Right now I am making approx. 15.00 $ an hour (canadian) and coach levels 2-6. so pre- comp and provincial. I am assistant head coach and am fully level 2 certified in WAG and trampoline have my level 3 theory and first aid and CPR. I do not get paid for my take home work or all my day to day planning or training camps, staying late for meetings etc.

But It's nice to see so many people posting on this, it's an eye opener!

Yeah, I have only heard of higher coach salaries say if they are coaching for a college team or run profit sharing in their programs ( coach gets x amount of percentage of total income of say girl's team as their stipend - so a really good coach could make a nice percentage if they run their program and balance out their expenses of other coaches or what not ).

A lot of coach's supplement their income with a side business or private lessons.

I'm not sure where Coach L is from, but that is probably at the top end for a club coach in CA anywhere. There might be some high salaries at super mondo huge successful gyms but that all depends. Perhaps some rec gym like Steve Greeley's would have paid their management pretty well.

If your position is through a city it may be a nice salary or not depending upon the city budget. I made more through the city than I ever probably will make through a private club. Otoh, I didn't make squat on PL as I could not set my own rates. Some coaches can do a dozen or more PL per week and that would be possibly another 1k a month gross.

kez it would be useful to know what kind of gym you plan on working at and your geographical location. By what kind of gym I mean is it a YMCA, a privately owned gym that is more recreational or competitive? A gym at a college or school? The answers vary widely depending on these factors and many more, including experience and certifications, there's really no way to get an average wage for a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back