What's the best camera out there for taking gymnastics pictures/video?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone. I'm currently shopping for a new camera and one of the things I find most difficult to take good pictures of is my dd during gymnastics meets. A friend has one of the Nikon Coolpix cameras that has a continuous shutter and I thought that was pretty terrific, so I started looking at that line.
So far, the best ones I've found are the Nikon Coolpix L120, P100, and P500. I really don't want to spend more than $400 on the camera (less, if possible), and I'm not looking for a DSLR that requires lens changes.
The P100 has a HD video mode that includes slow motion, which I thought would be really terrific for seeing things like vault. It also has a continuous shutter option that can take up to 10 pics per second. The only problem is that I have seen reviews that say it doesn't focus very well, so that worries me.

Do any of you have any camera experiences or suggestions that you can share? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Unfortunately your price range isn't going to get you those "really great" pictures but should certainly find you a camera you can be happy with. Each year, since the girls started, my daughter has upgraded her camera and has finally found one she likes but I think the camera alone was $1000...she met a photographer at a meet who told her if she can only afford so much, the best way to go is to get a good camera, and a great lens...she has 2 lens options at the moment and one of them can capture the grimace on their face from across the gym...pretty cool I might say. So I guess my advice would be to start with a camera you can afford that you can build up with a good len at a later date.

I just bought a Nikon P500. It looks pretty good. I've had experience with a DSLR before and, while they can take really fantastic pics in the right hands, I really didn't want to have to worry about changing lenses and whatnot. Thanks for the advice though! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back