WAG What's the deduction for....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Level 4 routines. Do these deductions change as you go up? These seemed to be a few things we saw at the first meet this season...and scores seemed quite low. Just curious! Especially on floor. A few kids messed something small up and then lost track of the music or direction and got pretty shockingly low scores without anything that looked really major...

THANK YOU, in advance!

1. Fall on beam, fall on vault landing, fall from bars (during routine and on landing - is it different?). Asking about the fall only, assuming they got credit for the element.
2. Stepping out of bounds on floor
3. Going the wrong direction on a compulsory floor routine (ie kid got turned around a bit and continued in the wrong direction but did everything else beautifully)
4. Bent arms on bars (kips, when grabbing high bar after jump)
5. Short-changing your full turn on floor by maybe 10-20 degrees

A few more!

6. Leg separation in the body rotation for the bars dismount
7. If you fall on and element on any event before completing it, and then re-do it nicely, do you still get deductions for form in the discounted attempt?

1. Falls are always o.5 deduction and of course there are form deductions to take one the skill being done when fall occurred. If you fall during a skill, it is pretty clear there were issues with the skill itself. No difference on bars between falling during routine or falling during landing, both are falls, all at 0.5 deduction.

2. I believe it is 0.1 for one foot out of bounds, 0.3 for both feet out of bounds.

3. Not sure on wrong direction question...

4. Bent arms are up to 0.3 in deduction for each time there are bent arms. With 2 kips and another when grabbing bars, that would be up to 0.3 each time...it adds up quickly.

5. The turn deduction would depend on how much the judge thinks the turn was completed...so again, not sure how that would get deducted. It could be considered falling out of the turn (a balance issue) or it could be considered to be not completing the element. Or both.

6. Leg separations are up to 0.2 deduction for each time the legs should be together but are not. Again, this can add up quickly.

7. If you fall on an element while attempting it - you get the 0.5 deduction for the fall, the form deductions for the first attempt, and then any form deductions for the second attempt as well.

Deductions can add up more quickly than parents realize when they are starting out. And there are lots that you didn't mention (body position, pointing toes, rhythm, etc) that are also being looked at that parents often miss. I would suggest not looking at the scores so much, because they can drive you crazy...

Yes it gets harder as they go up.

Example, leaps. Angle increases as they go up. As do deductions. By L7 if it's not 180 it's -0.5 but in L5 it's 150, less of a deduction. In L4 it's like 120. (Not exactly sure of specific degrees and deductions except for 7).

Forgetting the routine depends on how you recover and what was missed. First meet of our L4s, 2 of our girls, forgot their routines. One recovered nicely, ended up with an 8.8. The other pretty much never recovered got a 2 or 3 something.

From Gymnastics HQ, literally today.

General Compulsory Gymnastics Deductions:

(These apply on Uneven Bars, Beam and Floor Exercise.)

• Toes not pointed on major skills: each time .05
  • Legs separated when they should be together: up to .20
  • Not maintaining tight body position on skills: up to .20
  • Bent arms or legs: up to .30
  • Balance errors- small, medium,large: up to .30
  • Fall: .50
Uneven Bars Compulsory Gymnastics Deductions:
(The general deductions apply as well as these specific Uneven Bars deductions.)

• Extra cast or swing: .30
  • Extra arm swing after landing dismount: up to .10
  • Taking steps after landing dismount: each .10 (max .40)
  • Very large step or jump after landing dismount: .20
  • Additional upper-body movements to maintain balance on landing dismount: up to .30
  • Squat upon landing dismount: up to .30
Balance Beam Compulsory Gymnastics Deductions:
(The general deductions apply as well as these specific Balance Beam deductions.)

• Failure to kick leg horizontal or above when required: up to .10
  • Uneven leg separation in leaps/jumps: up to .10
  • Insufficient split when required: up to .20
  • Extra kick up to handstand: .30
  • Grasping beam to avoid a fall: .30
  • Swinging arms upon landing of dismount: up to .10
  • Taking steps after landing dismount: each .10 (max .40)
  • Very large step or jump after landing dismount: .20
  • Additional upper-body movements to maintain balance after landing dismount: up to .30
  • Squat upon landing dismount: up to .30
Floor Exercise Compulsory Gymnastics Deductions:
(The general deductions apply as well as these specific Floor Exercise deductions.)

• Failure to kick leg horizontal or above when required: up to .10
  • Uneven leg separation in leaps/jumps: up to .10
  • Insufficient split when required: up to .20
  • Extra kick up to handstand: .30
I haven’t listed vault deductions because the deductions are different for each compulsory gymnastics level. And for the other events, this is not a comprehensive list of the deductions gymnastics judges use to score compulsory gymnastics routines, these are just some of the most commonly used. I hope this helps to give you a better idea of how gymnastics routines are scored. Here is a list of common optional gymnastics deductions.

Deductions can add up more quickly than parents realize when they are starting out. And there are lots that you didn't mention (body position, pointing toes, rhythm, etc) that are also being looked at that parents often miss. I would suggest not looking at the scores so much, because they can drive you crazy...

That's for sure! My kid actually had a pretty good meet for a season opener - she broke 36 which was her goal for the 1st meet. She had hoped to do it by getting at least a 9 on each event, which did not happen, but oh well! She was great and I was so proud! The truth is, though, that other than obvious things like falls or big form breaks, I couldn't really see many big differences between her and many kids who scored either lower or higher! So I assume it is a lot of tiny deductions adding up that could flog her in future meets same as it likely did to many kids this time.

, I couldn't really see many big differences between her and many kids who scored either lower or higher! So I assume it is a lot of tiny deductions adding up that could flog her in future meets same as it likely did to many kids this time.
Yep, the devil is in the details.

And the expectations go up as the level does. Height and angles matter more.

So what is a good skill in one level, needs to be better in a level up.A tuck will need to be higher.
A leap wider, shapes more important. Aand so it goes.next thing you know a typical score is down a point or more depending on these things. And your thinking but she landed it.

First, apologies for the mistakes in deductions (out of bound one, oops :oops:).

Congratulations on your daughter's great opening meet, it sounds like she did very well indeed! I think it is very hard to see many of the deductions in the compulsory levels, especially the year your child does that level. By next year you will be good at seeing deductions when you see Level 4s compete, a pro when it comes to Level 3...unfortunately you will be wondering about Level 5, lol!

First, apologies for the mistakes in deductions (out of bound one, oops :oops:).

Congratulations on your daughter's great opening meet, it sounds like she did very well indeed! I think it is very hard to see many of the deductions in the compulsory levels, especially the year your child does that level. By next year you will be good at seeing deductions when you see Level 4s compete, a pro when it comes to Level 3...unfortunately you will be wondering about Level 5, lol!
True story ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back