WAG What's your dream beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

azara

Coach
Gymnast
Wow, two threads in three days? I'm on a roll!

I got this idea from another thread, started by @Sarah_the_gymnast, about handstand splash downs. If levels didn't exist, composition rules didn't exist, and you could make whatever beam routine you wanted for your gymnasts/child/self, which skills would you want to include? Suggestions can be just wishful thinking, or within the realm of possibility.

I'll start: in a beam routine for myself, I'd love to do a double stag handstand, a scale into a cartwheel, the splits, a half turn, a scorpion, and a front tuck dismount.

Other skills I like to see in beam routines include a Valdez, Onodi, and back extension roll to back walkover. My favourite mount is a press to handstand, where the gymnast arches over her head to a teardrop shape and stands up (one of the Russian juniors does it?). I don't even know if it's possible, but a Korbut to immediate back extension roll - like jumping into the roll - would look awesome!

What do you like to see in beam routines?

I would like to see YG do acro and still stay on the beam, lol.
Neither of my girls are beamers, but OG had a gorgeous beam BWO-BWO 6 years ago!
I would love to see her do that in a routine... And a RO-BT dismount.
I like Peng Peng Lee's Homma Flairs mount. I loved Danusia Francis's sideways side aerial-layout full dismount.
So a dream routine:
Homma Flairs end facing the short end of the beam... Back extension roll-BHS-layout full... Switch leap-split jump 1/2... Double turn... Side somi... Cat leap 1/2 (somehow done sideways for a direct connection or from facing forward a cat leap 3/4)-side aerial-layout full dismount.

I once saw a college gymnast do a press handstand mount facing the English handstand direction instead of the usual sideways direction, hold the handstand for an insanely long time including some changes of leg position, then launch herself straight out of the handstand into back tumbling. It was so different from all the other routines in that meet and looked really cool. I would love to see my gymmie do something like that someday in the distant future.

I really like gainer dismounts off the side. Never trained one myself. They look super cool, especially in interesting connections and with twisting.

You have a great knack for finding GIFs and videos!

I'll add another skill to my dream routine: the Schäfer. If you haven't seen it, look it up because it's mind-blowing. It's a side somi with a half twist in the air!

I also like gainer dismounts. I always get afraid watching them go off the end, because I'm afraid they'll hit their heads, but off the side is cool too.

Not a Korbut, but, well, I think you'll like this series, Azara (start at 0:55):

I think a wolf jump, hold the straight leg up into a sit on beam (like a figure skater doing a flying sit spin), immediately into a Valdez would be cool to see, but not worth the risk.

I love seeing the back handspring sideways on the beam and the Onodi.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back