What's your gym's policy on EARINGS??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think at our gym you can have the studs (I think that's what they're called-the ones that don't hang down) but NO dangling ones!

At DDs gym it seems as long as they are studs, they don't mind. I have seen a few of the older girls with more than one in each ear, and even a couple with them in the cartilage. I believe as long as they do not hang down, there isn't much fuss about it

Same as the judges only one pair of small studs in the ears. No other piercings on the ears, bellybuttons, or any other part of the body.

No jewellery of any type including stud earrings, if a gymnast trains with any jewellery their insurance becomes invalid.

Yep, British Gymnastics are very strict on their no jewellery policy! If the gymnast can't take earrings out they must be covered with tape.
Same with any other jewellery - if it can't be removed for religious reasons it has to be covered and made as safe as possible.

Well the schools only let them have one peircing with studs of sleepers and the kids pretty much come from school so we have never had an issue.

We can't have ANY bracelets, necklaces or earrings except one stud per ear. Though, during meets, we have to take them out.

We can have studs, if you have your cartilidge pierced you have to tape over it. Any more than small studs seems like a ripped ear waiting to happen. My gym is more lenient on bracelets, you can have those tight threaded friendship bracelets because generally those can't be taken off without cutting them, and hair elastics on the wrist are fine.

Intrestingly enough, my club gym is much more receptive to small studs than HS gym is. In HS gym there is absolutely no earrings or jewelry, no exceptions.

My daughter's gyms have always had the stud only policy.

Just a cautionary tale - My daughter had a stud in that was a heart shape when she was 7 and she was coming down the rope and the rope got caught oddly between her arm and her ear on the side of her head as she dropped too fast. Not really sure what happened but the earring nearly pushed all the way through her earring hole. Since then my daughter wears no earrings ever at the gym.

We're allowed to wear as many earrings as we like as long as they don't dangle. Even if they're slightly larger than studs they're allowed. One girl even has a belly button ring! That doesn't seem too smart to me, though.

One girl even has a belly button ring! That doesn't seem too smart to me, though.

Can you imagine if she got that caught on something? Ouch, it hurts just to think about!

A girl who pole vaults with me during spring track had a belly button ring, didn't take it out for practice, and she ripped it out because she hit the bar with her stomach and came down with it. After that incident she took it out before every practice...

No jewelery at all during meets, & nothing but teeeeeeny weenie studs or medical jewelery at practice (and the latter needs to be an athletic style, no dangling chains please).

since you brought it up ^^^few years back a male gymnast is wearing an Italian horn (us old schoolers refer to it as a Dago's tooth) on a gold chain at a college meet.

this gymnast pulls in on a geinger and eats the bar. at that instant, the horn/tooth pierces his carotid artery. another gymnast from another college was next waiting in line to go when this gymnast falls in front of him.

this gymnast drops to the floor and puts his little finger in the hole to stop it from pumping vertical all over the place.

the gymnast is fine today. true story. i was there watching a few of my male athletes. but i won't mention any names. i have many more "jewelry" stories but i'll save you from them. jewelry is bad. that's all.:)

or maybe you want to hear the one about the parkour athlete at an open gym who had a 'whatever you call it' thru his eyebrow. he face plants a standing back tuck. the 'whatever you call it' gets stuck in the floor carpet of the spring floor. of course he doesn't know that in that instant. but he did know it when his head bounced up from the floor. but the 'whatever you call it' stayed in the carpet. want more??:) i know what a unibrow is. but what do you call 3 eyebrows???:)

Eew, dunno. So, basically no jewelry. I'm all for this but I'm a fuddy duddy.

They get a bye if they are wearing a Mjolnir.

The general rule is no jewelry, including stud earrings. There are exceptions: such as if you have a new piercing, you don't have to cover it up, but as soon as you've had the earrings in long enough, you have to take them out for practice.

I don't believe any jewelry is 100% safe to wear while doing gymnastics and it should be avoided. I think naval piercings are complete insanity, but I've known a handful of college gymnasts myself that have them, so I assume more must be out there. Personally I think it should be strictly prohibited, but I also feel at that point you should have the maturity to grasp what is and isn't reasonable. I guess it's a battle that can't be completely won.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back