Parents When are they supposed to sleep?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I live in a crazy sport town. All sports go this many hours - all year round. In the other sports, they are considered separate seasons but they all have 4 seasons year round with crazy practice hours and weekend tournaments. It is hard to find a sport just for fun. Most kids are on 2 or 3 teams a season, of the same sport or different sports. You are looked at as odd if you don't spend all your free time at your kids sports. Even the band needs 20 hours a week commitment. You mean this isn't how all towns are?!?!

Your town sounds like a movie about Texas high school football

I live in a crazy sport town. All sports go this many hours - all year round. In the other sports, they are considered separate seasons but they all have 4 seasons year round with crazy practice hours and weekend tournaments. It is hard to find a sport just for fun. Most kids are on 2 or 3 teams a season, of the same sport or different sports. You are looked at as odd if you don't spend all your free time at your kids sports. Even the band needs 20 hours a week commitment. You mean this isn't how all towns are?!?!
Maybe you should move! :p

Maybe you should move! :p
I would but we fit in so well! LOL!!! We are in New England. Actually, people are trying to get into my town. You can't buy a house here. There are people who have stayed in hotels for a year or more just to get in. It is crazy!!!

I would but we fit in so well! LOL!!! We are in New England. Actually, people are trying to get into my town. You can't buy a house here. There are people who have stayed in hotels for a year or more just to get in. It is crazy!!!
Wow, I thought it was crazy where I live. That sounds nuts!

Yes, it's pretty much like this where I am. In fact, 2 of our L5 guys are also putting in 12 hours of practice per week for football. All the sports, all the time!

Gymnastics in particular WAG goes high hours very young (5-9) whereas whilst most other sports at a competitive level are also high hours the high hours tend to start later (10-14).
I think many gymnastics parents have spent years defending the high hours of their child's chosen sport that by the time everyone else in a competitive sport is doing high hours year round they don't notice.

I argue this all the time and I'm amazed the push back I get from my peers, everyone is so scared. Several years ago I made a conscious decision not to parent from a place of fear. Whenever I make a parenting decision I check myself by asking myself just that question....am I denying my dds an experience because I'm fearful of it. If the answer is yes, I rethink my decision. Now that one has a driver's license I'm finding I have to check myself often!

I argue this all the time and I'm amazed the push back I get from my peers, everyone is so scared. Several years ago I made a conscious decision not to parent from a place of fear. Whenever I make a parenting decision I check myself by asking myself just that question....am I denying my dds an experience because I'm fearful of it. If the answer is yes, I rethink my decision. Now that one has a driver's license I'm finding I have to check myself often!
:eek: Seriously though, that is a great way to look at things. I can only imagine how terrifying and wonderful that milestone is.

:eek: Seriously though, that is a great way to look at things. I can only imagine how terrifying and wonderful that milestone is.

I have to agree with B.Gold. Hold my breath everytime ODS gets in the car and goes somewhere! Or worse, when I get home and he's not there. Sigh. They grow up too fast.

Me too, the driving is a very tough one.

In New England?? I'm surprised.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back