When can I get grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
I'm going to be on team and just started gymnastics again. The only reason I want them is because every practice I get rips, bloody blisters, and skin always gets torn off. I always wrap my hands after practice. I don't want to look stupid being with the seven year olds using grips because I'm only doing pullovers, casts, and back hip circles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Drain the blood blisters with a needle. They get messy when they pop. :crazy:

Make some tape grip for each finger and save them and reuse them.

That being said, sometimes we put older girls in grips from the getgo. Depends on the coach. Or maybe palm grips.

I have the same problem as you (but i'm doing pullovers, casts, jumping to the high bar, shoot thrus, and front/back hip circles)
try these grips......... Lightweight Beginner 1st Grip they are pretty helpful and just a few tap swings will break them in. These are made for non-competitive gymnasts who need grips.

questions

I have the same problem as you (but i'm doing pullovers, casts, jumping to the high bar, shoot thrus, and front/back hip circles)
try these grips......... Lightweight Beginner 1st Grip they are pretty helpful and just a few tap swings will break them in. These are made for non-competitive gymnasts who need grips.

Do I get wrist bands with them too? And I don't understand grips very well. How do you wear them? What are the different kinds? I don't know what dowel and buckel grips are. and do you just have wrist bands and grips?

Go ask your coach and hopefully they will figure all of this out for you.

Ideally, I would not put a kid into grips until they had a straight arm kip. I would make the exception for older girls though.

Everyone's hands are different. Some people can swing on the bars for hours and never get sore hands and others can do one swing and get a big rip.

In general its a good idea to wait until you are Kipping confidently to get grips because they hands need to get used to swinging the bars, but this is not the case for everyone.

if you are one of those people who rip just by looking at the bars, chat to your coach and see if they are prepared to make an exception to the usual expectations.

Do I get wrist bands with them too? And I don't understand grips very well. How do you wear them? What are the different kinds? I don't know what dowel and buckel grips are. and do you just have wrist bands and grips?
Yes, you get wristbands too (if you dont, you'll get blisters on your wrist.) Dowel grips are grips for more advanced people that help them grip on more. And with the beginners grips, the fingerholes go on your ring and middle fingers in between your last knuckle and beginning of our palm.

Thanks! I got those ones you showed me and 4 inch wrist bands from ten.o! My coach is a grade older than me so I'll just ask her on facebook haha! And thanks to all of you for the answers.

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

Thanks! I got those ones you showed me and 4 inch wrist bands from ten.o! My coach is a grade older than me so I'll just ask her on facebook haha! And thanks to all of you for the answers.

No problem! Oh and by the way if you get them and finger holes are too small, use a nail filer or sandpaper to make them bigger cause mine were too small and I made them fit by doing that!

They came today and I did that. Thanks! The wrist bands look long. They are 4in.

I am getting grips and I am in level three. So you should get grips whenever you feel you need to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back