WAG When do gymnasts switch to "elite track"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdoc

Proud Parent
For gyms that don't do TOPS, when do the coaches usually "recognize" a gymnast as having that something extra and start them on a different path?

The reason I ask, our gym is fairly new, and the head coach informed all the optionals yesterday that she has decided that one of the 9yo L6 is going to start "training for elite". I wasn't there to hear the actual conversation, but it sounds like the plan for her is to stop competing JO and train for a HOPES qualifier in 2017 or 2018. I don't know much about HOPES, but is that a common strategy?

FWIW, this does not pertain to my 2 gymmies. They are not elite material, and personally I am happy for that! And there is no ill will or jealousy toward this teammate - it just made me curious of the process

A 9 yo level 6 in 2016 is going to train for a HOPES qualifier next season (2017...as in a year from now)? Are there any level 9 and 10s in your gym? Unless she's got talent like Laurie Hernandez who jumped through levels to elite pretty quickly.... but Laurie is definitely an exception...and pulling a level 6 out of JO just to train for a HOPES qualifier is a total recipe for burnout...

In our gym, a 9 year old level 6 is the norm. Maybe she's got the ability to go elite, who am I to say she's not. But generally speaking, that isn't exceptionally young in our area.

How exciting. Mine was a 9-yo level 6, and no way is she going elite. Hope things go well at your gym!

DDs gym has three girls who are on an elite track, actively training it and learning the elite compulsory routines. They are age 9/10/11 and level 8,8,9. They all still compete JO, though.

Elite kids don't need to be "recognised" they stand out all on their own.

I totally get this, but I see it as a question for the parents. It's kind of like, at what point does the parent need to buy in to an aggressive training plan? Because up until then, you can just train along with everyone else...but unless the parent has real knowledge of gymnastics, they won't know if the kid is true elite material unless someone tells them that and plans with them accordingly.

Yeah, I see "recognize" was not the right word. And the girl at our gym literally started gymnastics last year, so that explains her lateness. But she is obviously different than other the gymmies and has many skills beyond L6 right now.

I guess my question is what could (other) parents expect as our gym builds their elite path. When do the coaches usually present this to parents - is it in compulsories when the kid is clearly progressing differently than the average gymnast, or do they usually wait until they start to compete in optionals to see if they have staying power at the harder skills? Again, I am not asking because I am hoping my kid will be "recognized", YDD is 9yo L6 and very clearly NOT elite material

Reactions: sce
There are many coaches who say things like this and have no idea what they are talking about. I hope your coach is not in this group. But TOPS is not very closely related to HOPES so it isn't necessary to participate in TOPS to be prepare for HOPES. TOPS competition is only for recognition.

OP to answer your question. I think coaches can see the "it" factor (beautiful lines, extreme power, crazy strong, etc) in the first few practices with a girl. And those might qualify a girl to begin training elite at her gym. But the other factors (athletes commitment, coaches commitment, parents/family commitment, desire, etc, etc, etc) are what ultimately determine if a girl becomes an elite.

Keep in mind the elite path is a lonely world and many gyms invite other exceptional gymnasts (but really not elite material) to participate in the elite training. This gives the true elite gymnast team mates and friends who are experiencing similar training and difficulties. It benefits the elite kid and the others, a win/win if done correctly. It's one of the reasons I think Texas Dreams, WOGA, etc continue to produce more elites, they all aren't home grown but they come to be part of the elite training program.

As a slight side bar, does anyone know how many current elite gymnast were never invited to the ranch before they qualified elite. Not necessarily regular attenders but were at least invited once. My point in asking is most girls with elite potential (or possible elite potential) get invited to ranch at least once. Many girls go and are never invited back, I personally know 5. If a coach isn't well connected it is difficult to get girls invited so i'd imagine some girls never go to the ranch until after they qualify elite and some even not then.

The girls at our gym with potential for tops/hopes/elite get picked out no later than L6 and invited to an extra practice. They don't compete tops but work the elite routines adding in the required skills as they get them. When coach feels they are ready, they get an invite to the ranch - this is before they are actually elite. I think they pad this group with girls that have good potential for college but may not be elite material. These girls still compete JO though unless they are already Hopes or Elite.

Sounds like this girl is not your average 9 yo L6 gymnast. Good for her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back