When is a parent "too involved"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When they get to the point they're so sour if their child loses at a meet, they can't even clap for someone else, or give someone a hug if they fell or didn't do so well, or even just say well done to anyone but their child.

That's what drives a team apart IMO.

Rainee - thank you so much for the laugh - that was a great post !!!!

Thanks Rainee!

I would add:

11. Another parent says, of a child who is not only not yours, but competing in another level/age group/team, "she did great, getting that 36 at the last meet!" and you absent-mindedly reply, "36.475 and that with a fall on the backwalkover."

ROTFL

My dd (now 12) started pre-team at a gym in St. Louis at the age of 5. The very wise coach/owner of that gym told a "gym mom" that if you think that gymnastics is a road to a college scholorship(sp) quit the gym now and put your tuition in a college account. There were 22 girls in dd's pre-team class, she is the last one still competing. I still keep in touch via e-mail with those gym owners, they are a good source of experienced advice.

Our gym only recently started competing level 4, of the 24 girls that were in her new class at the gym she attends in Illinois, only 4 are still with the team. They didn't start competing until they were 8 year old level 5's. I keep that very wise coaches views in mind whenever I consider my dd's gymnastics career. He had a very honest and truthfull approach to gym management. So many people tell you what you want to hear.

We don't have any home equiptment except for a floor beam, which now never gets used. No more requests for open gym, 16 1/2 hours a week is enough. Dance, school(homework), and Girl Scouts take the rest of her time now. So I guess I just want to say don't expect too much, just enjoy the fun while it lasts. And take that coach/owners advice when setting your expectations, a child of 5 or 6 may or may not have the same drive for gymnastics as they get older. Or they may decide on a whole new path.

I like the list that rainee wrote!
At my gym we don't have anywhere where parents can watch and sometimes I feel thats a good thing. Its not fun when parents ask why didn't you land your beam routine? Or why was everyone else working on this but you weren't? I don't tell my parents a lot about practice and I think that works for me.
I have a floor beam at home and I use it sometimes but my moms not like land 10 connections before you can go to the mall or anything.

Well I only read a few pages of the post.

I am speaking from another sport point of view I guess (figure skating).

I watch all my daughters practices and competitions. She is still very young and its not comfortable for me or her to be left there by herself (she is almost 5). But I do like to see what she is doing and what I am spending my money on I want to make sure its not wasted :)

As well school may be more important but there is not as much risk of injury. I am sure when my daughter is 8 she wont care as much if I am there when she gets hurt but for now I wont miss a practice.

Also I am unfortunetly one of those parents who has to drag along younger siblings and make them sit there while she does her thing. If i paid for a sitter every lesson or event my daughter wouldnt be able to participate in the sport. I make sure they have things to do or eat while sitting in the stroller and when they get older they will have their own involvements.

And on the note of parents "coaching" during open gym. It depends on the level of coaching. I find open gym can also be a chance to practice if wanted not just play time. And if you are paying for your child to practice there is nothing wrong with making sure they get in some practice. My daughter gets to go to our open skating sessions. I tell her what she needs to practice (coach's list) and then once she does it she is allowed to goof off and play. But if I am paying for it she needs to at least get something else out of it. I could go to the park and play. But I dont find this as being too involved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back