Parents When it is all said and done

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My question is: When it's all said and done will it have been worth it?

I'm not so sure and my 11 year old daughter's hours as a TNTer are 1/4 of what they were when she was 8.

The primary thing I want for her is to learn how to be disciplined and that hard work is worth it.

personaly i hope she gets
*self disaplin (sp)
*self worth
*knowledge that no matter what if you work hard enough, you will be able to do it
*that hard driven additude to achive and be the best...that will come in handy later in life
*knowledge that sometimes others do know better...lol
*the ability to listen to someone...and no just hear them
*body awareness (how to properly eat and care for herself)..even though its one of the highest injury rate sports out there...you get what im saying
*awareness that she doesnt have to dye her hair 5 different colors...wear tons of makeup and designer clothes to "be someone"
*how to take defeat with a grain of salt...hit the gym and bust butt harder..so next time she can show them all that she is a force to be recond with
*and of course since the olympics is such a far shot for anyone...getting a full ride to college...cause when all is said and done...i think an education is much more important...although it would totaly kick butt to see my dauther in the olympics..im realistic and know that isnt going to happen...so college...full ride baby...lol

You have all pretty much put what I feel into words.

I want my girls to learn to be proud of their accomplishments, whatever they may be.

When all is said and done... wow, that's an interesting thought for a parent! My youngest started out copying her older sister who was a cheerleader, and we eventually made our way into artistic gymnastics. Sometimes I wonder- she has dreams of the olympics-so she tells me. I am not sure and we have discussed the commitment(she's 12) but am a true believer in you can acheive anything if you put your heart and soul into it.
I try to encourage and put her where I think she can reach her goals. She seems to pick up skills quickly and is hard on herself. Is this the make up of a champion?- I don't know. I have been told by different people/coaches that she is a natural and learns quickly, but I don't see a fire in her. Then again, she is a quiet and private person, so who knows!!!!! Personally I am willing to continue as long and as far as she wants to go whatever the outcome. if it's only local competitions and a state meet, that's OK. I want her to look at her time in the gym as a positive experience, and something that she has no regrets over when she's older.
I could barely do a handstand when I was a kid but pushed myself in track/cross country with some success at a national level in the UK, so I don't doubt her-I was pretty internal with my emotions too!
Much confusion, I know but probably about the same as many gym moms go through!

make ev

When all is said and done.....I want them to have a sense of accomplishment, that they were able to be the best that they could be. That they made great friends and had great role models. I want them to feel that they were encouraged by us, though not pushed or coerced by us.

I want them to feel, brave, proud, and confident that they can do things alone, in public and to be judged fairly by others for their hard work. I want them to learn organisation and have pride in all that they have done.

That they might enjoy a strong, healthy body and mind whilst feeling a sense of power and relative freedom. To have learned to persevere through the hard times and not to be knocked back when they are feeling down.

I want them to look back with pride, joy and fondness at all they have done, been and seen. Though gymnastics is just a slice of that, it has been a huge part of their childhood.

Funnily enough when I read back over my thoughts, they apply just as much to my none gym DS as to my two gymmie DD's. Life is what you make it and also what your parents were able to give. My children are fortunate in many ways....I count our bessings every day that we are able to live the way we do and have 3 healthy kids.

healthy inside and out

I love seeing what this sport is doing for dd already: giving her confidence, showing her how to persevere when things get tough or monotonous (I always have said her persistence, while at times annoying, will pay off, and we've already seen that :)), teaching her to be an encouraging and positive teammate (which will help with all relationships in life), helping her to deal with all ages of people in many circumstances, allowing her to feel beautiful and graceful, giving her a picture of herself as someone who can set goals and overcome challenges to achieve them, showing her how to care for her body and respect it, and on and on.

Practically, I'd love for Caitlyn to achieve whatever ultimate goal she has, and to do it in a way that is healthy for her whole being. Would I like to see her as a level 10 gymnast? Yes, if that's what she wants. A recipient of a college scholarship? Absolutely, if that's what she wants. An elite? If that's what she wants, as long as it doesn't harm our family or her. In the end, I want a daughter who loves the sport still and who is healthy inside and out.

When all is said and done, I want Beetle to look back at her gymnastics career and be proud of what she accomplished. I want her to love what she did.

I want her to know that we are ridiclously proud of her!

And that is was all worth it: every dollar spent, minute of driving, night at the gym, tear shead, hand ripped, every family meal missed, every salute to the Judge, stuck dismount, Every Medal on the podium... In the end - it was worth the ride!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back