Parents When Kids Should Start Swimming Lessons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27497
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 27497

It is important that every child knows water survival techniques and knows how to swim.

When? My kids did water safety at 18mths. They were able to fall into a pool and flip themselves over to breathe.

At 3 they could do basic breast and doggie paddle
at 4 they could do the crawl and know how to push off a kid or adult and swim to safety in the event the other person is pulling them down.
at 6/7 they could pass a swim test of 25m crawl and tread for 1 min
at 8/9 they could pass a 50m crawl plus 2 min tread

We are very keen on water safety and swimming skills at a young age.

My oldest started swim lessons at 5/6 I think and she learned within a year. My youngest started around 4 and learned within a year as well. I think starting lessons early is important. we live near the ocean and everyone has pools so learning as early as possible was a high priority. I think the more access to water the more important it is you learn young.

My neice learned the survival swimming before she was a year old. so she can roll over and make it to the edge of the pool now if she were to fall in fully clothed.

My little girl could do 10m on her front, 5m on her back at 4.5 and now swims a few lengths of all 4 strokes at 6.5 (technique still developing) and my 5 year old can probably do about 5m (he's less of a natural water baby). I'm all in favour of starting early

As early as possible. Mine were in the water at 7 months. I always told them it was the only sport I would require them to do (lessons, not team). Luckily they both love it!

Mine was doing lessons at 14 months. swimming on her own at three. Flipping into the pool at 4 which is why she is in gymnastics

My personal feelings on children and swim lessons aren't always popular. I strongly believe in respectful parenting and I believe a lot of infant swim lessons cross the boundary I lke to hold for my child's bodily autonomy, meaning they are made to do things against their will. I believe that it is our responsibility as the adult to provide supervision when a young child is around water not the child's responsibility to be able to save themselves.

I live in a beach town where water play is pretty much a necessity during the summer in order to enjoy being outside. I chose to wait until my daughter was old enough to ask for swim lessons and make the choice herself. Before she chose that we did use a flotaion device at times but not everytime she was in water. I have also seen children walk right into the deep end of a pool thinking they would float because all they had experienced of being in the water was done in a flotation device.

I think it depends on the child. Kid #1 hated water in her face since she was a baby. We put her in swimming when she was 1 or 2 and she cried through the whole lesson. We tried several more times at different ages with different instructors and she kept crying so we stopped. At 8 years old she couldn't do much at a pool party so she decided to learn how to swim in order to play with her friends at pool parties. She learned quickly. Kid #2 loved the water since he was a baby. He started lessons at 1 years old and took to the water fast.

Both my kids were on swim team by 6, they probably learned around 4 or 5. My daughter had to give it up once gym became too intense but it really helped with stregnth and coordination early and I think she could easily go back to it if she ever wants to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back