MAG When to consider summer camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

magmom

Proud Parent
I've seen several threads talking about summer camp, so I apologize for posting another.

At what age or level did you start sending your boys to camp? Mine is only 8, and I'm not quite ready to send him off by himself overnight. But, I think in another year or two (or three or four?) maybe it would be good for him.

What's the expectation with camp? Progress? New skills? Just fun? Hardworking home gym coaches get a well-deserved week off?

One more thing... Has anyone heard anything or have opinions about the camp at the Air Force Academy? I've heard lots of talk about other colleges, but no one has mentioned that one.

D has done the one at the AFA. Until they are 12, it is a day camp, so we stayed in a hotel so he could do it. He really liked it, and had a great time. Learned some new skills but mostly cleaned up what he already knew.

I think, for me, I want progress at camp. Not necessarily new skills but at least progress toward skills development. But I do want it to be progression. Not doing something new jsut for the sake of it, but working toward the next logical step in a progression kwim?

My girls have gone to sleep away camp since they were 7. They have done a two week sports camp back to back with a week long military kids camp. Every kid is different though. My girls started sleepovers before kindergarten while they have friends who still sleep in their parents bed at 10+. So it all depends.

Camp is fun. So when you can afford it and when you think your child is ready is the right time.

But do not really expect to some back from a camp with new skills. Though new skills will be tried.

My DS started 1 week sleep away camp for gymnastics at age 8. This summer will be his 4th year. He loves it and does get to try new skills.

I think the best part about it is being in an environment where they get to interact with older male gymnasts and "heroes" though.

He always comes home pumped about the sport and ready to give it his all which is a great outcome.

Last year my daughter went to camp at age 7 but as a commuter. I stayed in a hotel for those 5 days and picked her up each evening. She wasn't sure she wanted to stay overnight...especially since she was all by herself with no teammates. But this year she is all about staying in the dorms!

My DS went to USGTC camp last year as a just turned 9 year old for two weeks and it was really a life changing event. We did not do artistic gymnastics at that point ( we did Team Gym) and when he left we were basically recruited for an artistic team and 17 hours a week and 9 months later he is a very successful level 5 gymnast. I owe it all to the camp as he came back doing multiple things he had never done before. As a 2nd year camper and now a artistic participant maybe it will be different but last year was life-altering. I would also say that he grew up very quick by the time he came home from camp. No more hall light on, no more reminding to take showers or brush teeth which to some might not be a big deal but for me it was like having a completely different kid in the house.

Wow, I guess sleep-away camp starts early than I realized! When I was growing up, I don't think any of my friends went away to summer camp until age 11 or so. I think I'll look into sending him next summer - he'll be 9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back