WAG When to Repeat a Skill in Competition??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AWGym

Proud Parent
We just had our first meet of the season....it was an extremely small meet and more of a practice meet than anything. Only our compulsories attended. The next meet of the season isn't until mid November so this is more of a learning experience for new compulsory parents and gymnasts.

The meet went well, BUT I do have a question....a couple of YDD's teammates (level 3) fell on their dismount on beam (they kicked up to the side handstand but weren't able to twist) and their coach had them get up and repeat it....why is this? I'm only asking because another girl fell on her vertical handstand (arched over, didn't get a foot on) but wasn't told to repeat?

Not saying anything negative towards coach. They all did a great job! Just mainly curious as to why you repeat some skills but not others?

We just had our first meet of the season....it was an extremely small meet and more of a practice meet than anything. Only our compulsories attended. The next meet of the season isn't until mid November so this is more of a learning experience for new compulsory parents and gymnasts.

The meet went well, BUT I do have a question....a couple of YDD's teammates (level 3) fell on their dismount on beam (they kicked up to the side handstand but weren't able to twist) and their coach had them get up and repeat it....why is this? I'm only asking because another girl fell on her vertical handstand (arched over, didn't get a foot on) but wasn't told to repeat?

Not saying anything negative towards coach. They all did a great job! Just mainly curious as to why you repeat some skills but not others?
Did they fall to the opposite side from which they were supposed to land? My daughter overshot her handstand dismount at the last meet and fell to the wrong side and needed to get back up on the beam and do a correct dismount. She received deductions for a "fall".

Did they fall to the opposite side from which they were supposed to land? My daughter overshot her handstand dismount at the last meet and fell to the wrong side and needed to get back up on the beam and do a correct dismount. She received deductions for a "fall".

Yes, both kids just did a side handstand and fell on the wrong side - didn't do the twist. But just curious why repeat that skill and not the vertical handstand where the girl also fell the wrong way (arched over, and had to twist off to avoid splatting on her back on the beam). She didn't touch either foot on the beam. But when she got back up, she started from a lunge as if she had just finished the handstand.

Gymnastics is a confusing world :confused:

Yes, both kids just did a side handstand and fell on the wrong side - didn't do the twist. But just curious why repeat that skill and not the vertical handstand where the girl also fell the wrong way (arched over, and had to twist off to avoid splatting on her back on the beam). She didn't touch either foot on the beam. But when she got back up, she started from a lunge as if she had just finished the handstand.

Gymnastics is a confusing world :confused:
That I can't help you with. Perhaps someone better versed can help.

I was told in level three that if we didn't make the dismount, we would not get credit for the skill if we didn't redo it with the quarter turn. As far as English handstands, I have been told your feet have to touch the beam coming out of it, or else you have to redo it. Same for back walkovers in level five. If you dump your body off the side and your feet never touch the beam, a redo is in order. Hope this clarifies a few things for you.

The dismount … falling on the same side, you lose credit for the skill and have the fall. If you redo it, you only have the fall.
The handstand… some coaches will have you repeat it for the same reason… but since you just fell on it, there is a chance that you won't do any better the second time around (and would have to count 2 falls on one skill. Maybe the coaches realized that the handstand girl would likely not "go for it" all the way if she repeated it.

We are a bit aways from L3. Unless our kid/coach is sure doing a repeat will be OK, they don't repeat a skill. So a wrong side thing, repeat. A kid iffy at best on a skill get back on beam and move on.

My kid L4 had a 33-40% hit rate on her CW, she would never repeat that. Why to blow it twice. Oy.

it really depends on the kid...and their confidence. you want to repeat most things even if you take a deduction. the deduction isn't what matters. more often than not there is an underlying issue as to why they missed in the first place. you can be training ready...but not always competitive ready. repeating can put to rest any issues that they might have.
moreover, missing makes an issue for young inexperienced gymnasts. you don't want the last thing they did, and remember, to be a fall. this is all part of the process. :)

That darn squat on! I hate watching it! It has to be repeated to even finish the routine!!!!
Question-why would one NOT teach the sole circle? I have begged them to teach this since my DD tends to fall on the squat on, but no.
Sorry to go off topic.

That darn squat on! I hate watching it! It has to be repeated to even finish the routine!!!!
Question-why would one NOT teach the sole circle? I have begged them to teach this since my DD tends to fall on the squat on, but no.
Sorry to go off topic.
Our gym teaches both, they all do squat on though.

Doesn't have to be repeated though, we have one kid who will attempt nearly anything, didn't do a squat on all of L4. She survived, didn't place but moved up and is finally doing the squat on.

Sorry to go off topic.
The squt on doesn't have to be repeated if there is a good chance of missing again. They can just climb up onto the low bar and jump from there. They won't start judging after the fall until they do a skill so jump to front support, climb up, and jump to high bar and continue.

Okay, thanks all!!! Super helpful. Now that I think about it, the girl who fell on her vertical handstand didn't talk to the coach, she just jumped back up on the beam immediately.

So just to clarify, if they don't complete the skill OR don't make a foot on the beam (handstand, cartwheel, bwo, etc.) they should repeat it? Assuming that they usually are consistent at practice. Not that I'm going to be sideline coaching YDD or ODD, haha! Just for my own knowledge about competition and scoring.

Assuming they are consistent at practice, if they don't complete the skill or don't make a foot on the beam, then yes, they should repeat the skill to get credit for it.

Do you have to just land one foot before the fall to get credit for the skill?

I've never seen a kid on dd's team take a second attempt a skill they fell on on beam, except the dismount. They do always get back up and do the dismount again if they fall on the wrong side. But I've never seen a kid talk to the coach after a beam fall either. They just jump back up there. I have seen the coach tell them to get back up to do the dismount again if they don't get back up to do it on their own.

Do you have to just land one foot before the fall to get credit for the skill?

I've never seen a kid on dd's team take a second attempt a skill they fell on on beam, except the dismount. They do always get back up and do the dismount again if they fall on the wrong side. But I've never seen a kid talk to the coach after a beam fall either. They just jump back up there. I have seen the coach tell them to get back up to do the dismount again if they don't get back up to do it on their own.
Yes, just one foot (or part of one foot) has to touch the top of the beam to get credit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back