When will they learn certain things?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My almost 3 is in a mommy and me + structured toddler gym. While it looks like play most of the time, after 6mo, I can say that she's learned quite a bit. Some of her best learned skills are: quitting when asked, sitting on the side nicely until it's her turn, following commands, and not to throw a fit when she doesn't get the right (her choice) of stickers at the end of the day. Oh, she knows how to do a forward roll on a flat/angled surface on her own, run like she's starting on vault (one arm and feet out -- big sister's influence), do 2 chin ups on own on the kiddie bars at gym, and thinks she's the trampoline princess :)

I have an older dd. She's in development, about a US level 4, and I remember thinking when she was 5.5 yrs old: Goodness, she'll never learn how to do the cartwheels right :)

When youngest dd is 4 I'll put her in where she'll probably learn to cartwheel properly and I am almost sure she'll be invited to the development program just like big sis when she's 5 and do more things. Right now though, I am quite enjoying all the smiles and how gym is teaching her to be better behaved.

I think it depends on the kid and gym. My 3.5 year old can do a back bend and and bridge kick over (correct terms? I dont know). But my 5.5 year old didn't get that stuff down till she was around 5. So I think it depends on the gym and who is working with them.

I think it depends on the kid and gym. My 3.5 year old can do a back bend and and bridge kick over (correct terms? I dont know). But my 5.5 year old didn't get that stuff down till she was around 5. So I think it depends on the gym and who is working with them.

It's not a matter of whether a 3.5 yr old *can* do a backbend, but whether she *should*. It is a safety issue dealing with the spine, which are still developing. I'm not a Dr or a coach so I will defer to those more knowledgable

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't it also depend on the muscle of the child doing the back bend? The gym mostly spots her on her back bends. But on her kick overs she does those without spotting. I will talk to our pediatrician and get the opinion from them. Thanks for the heads up. The Coaches never act concerned, as they are working on these things with her. But not all girls on her team. She is a strong lil peanut. But I will ask them for sure. Thanks! :)

To the Original Poster:

I’m a proud parent of a 6 year old daughter. We started her in gymnastics at age 2 because she had a lot of energy and needed a way to burn it off. Plus she was a late walker and needed a fun way to learn how to balance. Our daughter was in an awesome class, much like the class your daughter is in. By the time she was around 4 years old, the coaches started “eyeing” her for the team track. They often pulled her and a couple of other girls out of their class to work with them on form. This past year (Sept through June) she was on pre-team. Her coaches invited her to train over the summer for team in Sept (competing at level 4). However, we have a lot of travel plans this summer and I really wanted her to take a small break from gymnastics since she has been doing this since age 2. So, our daughter will be on pre-team another year—very okay with us! Once she starts competing, it becomes a whole other beast.

My point to you is much like what others have said. Enjoy where your daughter is at. It all moves so quickly. Don’t turn your house into a “mini” gym. It’s so easy for little ones to get hurt or learn the skills wrong. Even at age 6 we are constantly reminding our daughter that our home is not a gym and not to climb the furniture or swing on the banister, or jump from couch to chair, etc. We do let her walk upstairs backwards and pretend the curb is a beam and hang on the bars at the playground, etc. We figured this is more of a kid thing then a gymnastics thing.

When I signed my daughter up for those first few classes, I had no idea we would still be so involved in this sport. But she loves it and we love that she loves it. Like so many other children our daughter seems to have some natural talent. So we’ll take it a season at a time, find balance and a way to integrate all the other wonderful aspects of childhood activities, and enjoy where we’re at. Best wishes to you and your daughter in all that gymnastics may have to offer your daughter.

Doesn't it also depend on the muscle of the child doing the back bend? The gym mostly spots her on her back bends. But on her kick overs she does those without spotting. I will talk to our pediatrician and get the opinion from them. Thanks for the heads up. The Coaches never act concerned, as they are working on these things with her. But not all girls on her team. She is a strong lil peanut. But I will ask them for sure. Thanks! :)

NO 3.5 year old should be bridging. ever. Any "coach" that bridges a 3.5 year old is either ignorant or just plain stupid.

I don't think it has so much to do with body size, as development. My 5 yr old is a tiny little thing, smallest girl on her preteam, and about the size of a 3 yr old (don't tell her that though ;-) ). Obviously her team has those skills, but I do not see the younger rec classes doing those. It's mostly forward rolls, a little form, and fun. My DD is about the size of those girls, but even though she's little she's still developed enough to learn those skills. I could be wrong though, that's just the way I thought of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back