WAG When you love your kids' coaches, but Jesus H., there are 7 of them and it's Christmas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l.c.o

Proud Parent
What the heck do you buy them? Between both kids, there are 7 coaches who regularly coach them. Add in another 3-4 more that assist on occasion.

In the past, we had just one kid competing, so $25 value gift cards for each was pretty easy to swing. What on earth can I get them all that they'll actually appreciate, will show how much we appreciate all of them, will be of similar value, and won't make my bank statement cry?

Or, am I searching for a magical rainbow unicorn?

I almost bought each of them a $15 Panera gift card, but then felt cheap, and questioned whether they even eat Panera. o_O

Per my kids, one coach likes the color pink, and one likes to go fishing. Aaannnndddd, that's all the direction I have to go on. :confused:

Also - edited to add: girls team has a Christmas party with a gift exchange. To my understanding, boys will not. In the past, some years, apparently they've given boys coaches a team gift at team banquet late spring. Would it make sense to maybe skip a gift for boys coaches this Christmas, and give them something after season, at the banquet??? or...???

I always face this struggle with teachers, too! DD has 6 or 7 coaches that interact with her on a regular basis. In both cases we've done iTunes and Amazon GCs packaged with some baked goods, or other small stuff that they might like (fuzzy/funky socks, christmas ornaments (if they celebrate), initial key chains (these have been a big hit), scarves, headbands, etc.. I've also done movie packs for home (microwave popcorn, candy, netflix gift card, pizza coupon for a local pizza place)..

You know, as a coach, I think a gift card is good. Even $5 at Starbucks buys me a latte. $10-$15 is a nice gift. We don't expect much (or anything!), especially when there are bunches of us.

A few other ideas: cute socks; hair accessories for female coaches (we have to put our hair back too); something edible (sweets are obvious, but other ideas include soup mix, trail mix, local jam or honey, ext.); a bottle of wine for 21+; a mug with tea, coffee, or hot chocolate mix.

Dd has four main coaches that work w her team...we did a collection of 35$ each family and I'm going to get a gift card for each coach from the team.....I like the team gifts better and I love giving gift cards so they can get what they want....is this a possibility?

All of our optional families get together, put in about $40 each, and give each coach a visa gift card for about $100-$150 (depending on the number of girls). We have 6 coaches for all of our optional levels.

Ohhhh thanks - some great ideas!

I tried to prod the other moms into a team gift while we made the girls' state meet gifts, but it seemed that I was a little late to the game as some already started buying individual things this year and didn't really want in.

We DID just get DD's coaches a relatively small thank you state meet gift as a collective.

Maybe I'll do a $10 gift card each with something small with it. Coaches are almost 50:50 male:female, so I want comparable but useful!

I'll try to badger the boys moms when I see them this weekend. We're all new so don't know each other well yet. Maybe we can supply coaches with a lunch/dinner for Christmas and do a big team gift at banquet like in previous years.

I am not even thinking about it this year. In years past I have made gifts, bought gifts, and generally agonized over it. This year I am at peace with not buying any coaches gifts. My reasons? First, I don't even buy my kids or husband gifts, so people outside the family are generally low priority. Second, my DDs coach recently crystallized something for me. He bought a house and casually mentioned he payed cash and talked about his other holdings and it made me realize that the idea of the starving coach isn't universal- we struggle financially and shouldn't feel an artificial burden to give when it's just not feasible.

We do a team collection of money and then each coach gets something from the team. One parent collects and shops. It's not designated how much to give but I usually contribute $10 per coach.

I am not even thinking about it this year. In years past I have made gifts, bought gifts, and generally agonized over it. This year I am at peace with not buying any coaches gifts. My reasons? First, I don't even buy my kids or husband gifts, so people outside the family are generally low priority. Second, my DDs coach recently crystallized something for me. He bought a house and casually mentioned he payed cash and talked about his other holdings and it made me realize that the idea of the starving coach isn't universal- we struggle financially and shouldn't feel an artificial burden to give when it's just not feasible.

Oooh I wish I could have liked this more than once.

I know that at least a few of their coaches aren't exactly rolling in dough. Some work multiple jobs (60+ hours per week), so I'm ok giving what I can give comfortably. We know some of them could probably have an easier time in life if they DIDN'T choose to coach our kids.

But comfortably is the key word there!

I was thinking about this the other day. DD was coached by two coaches all year (well since move ups in June), then right after meet season, she was moved to a different group with 2 other coaches. There is a helper coach at one practice, but I think that coach more observes than anything, so I likely won't do a gift there, but the other 4 are all awesome and deserve something good, I just don't know how "good" I can afford. I don't drink wine really, so I have no clue what's good, although there is one coach that would probably love that.

Must be a U.S thing because at both gyms we have been at the coaches just get Xmas cards from the kids I know we must be cheapskates across the pond lol

Gift cards are fine.

If you're looking for other gift ideas, I'll say the same thing I've said in similar threads in years past: most of us love steak, and most of us love wine, and most of us can't afford either in the quantity we'd like. A steakhouse gift card or a bottle of wine will pretty much always be a good gift for a coach.

Must be a U.S thing because at both gyms we have been at the coaches just get Xmas cards from the kids I know we must be cheapskates across the pond lol
I think it might be a US thing. I gave gifts to coaches in the US. I haven't seen it since we've been abroad. It's been less stressful, honestly.

I've once got a gift card from the group I coached and also some individual gifts and cards from the kids. I liked the gift card but I'm also happy with just a card made by a kid I coach. Especially if they write lovely things like "your the best coach ever" or "I wanna be a coach like you when I'll grown up" :D Some kids have given me chocolate, candles, stuffed animals, Christmas decorations... One group gave me a jade plant and that was really nice gift! Now when I don't coach them anymore I remember them every time I water it :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back