WAG When you love your kids' coaches, but Jesus H., there are 7 of them and it's Christmas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I always knew our family was meant to be British! I don't do gifts for anyone Except the kids in my family because I truly can't afford it. Our whole family is on this plan, the adults don't exchange gifts with the exception of my mom. I just barely keep my gymmie's bill paid, and stress to buy my kids and nieces/nephews gifts, so as much as I'd like to show my appreciation I can't. We do a slew of Christmas cookies and distribute them to school and gym, best I can do. Hopefully, it's still the Thought that counts!

Up until this season, we did team coaches gifts... $10 per girl or $15 per family.

We aren't doing that this year because several of the new parents haven't even bothered to give their email addresses to get their daughters on the team website (which is where all updates are posted). And the number of coaches has exploded. 2 years ago, it was gifts for 4 coaches. Last year it was 7 coaches. This year, we have at least 9 coaches that regularly work with the girls.

I don't think anyone should feel compelled to give a gift. I'm a teacher and I get gifts from some kids, not from others, photo holiday cards of families, hand drawn pictures by the kids. It makes the KID feel good to hand me something and that is what matters.

When people start worrying that someone will think less of them if they don't give a gift, or not give an expensive enough gift, I think we're missing the point.

Enjoy the season and do what feels right for your family!

I typically make a treat for all the coaches (usually cranberry salsa and chips) and then do small gifts for the coaches. Sometimes. Sometimes I get busy. SOmetimes we have medical bills piling up (UGH! This year!) So sometimes, salsa is all they get :)

I typically make a treat for all the coaches (usually cranberry salsa and chips) and then do small gifts for the coaches. Sometimes. Sometimes I get busy. SOmetimes we have medical bills piling up (UGH! This year!) So sometimes, salsa is all they get :)

I would be thrilled to get salsa! Seems like all I ever get is grade complaints, which are not the best holiday gift.

We make a big plate of cookies and drop it off for all the the coaches at the gym to enjoy. If you don't bake, you could buy something similar. Or maybe a box of bagels and cream cheese if you want healthier. Loaf of pumpkin bread maybe. Anyway, something baked and share-able so you only have to do one thing and everyone is covered.

We usually do homemade cookies and a handwritten note from our kid. When I used to work at a tutoring center, there were only two aspects of gifts that made much of an impression on me:

1. Negative impression: When the parents gave nice gifts and notes of appreciation to the director of the tutoring center, instead of to the tutor who actually worked with the child. This happened with regularity, presumably because most parental interactions were with the director and not the tutor.
2. Positive impression: When the kids wrote their own heartfelt notes to the tutor.

I am also a big fan of treats to the whole staff with a variety. When I taught I loved the thought but not like getting a big plate of cookies. I know their hard work and ingredients went into it, but I was single, lived alone and was not a big sweet eater and don't like much chocolate. I hated how many goodies went in the trash.

Notes from the kids were and still are always appreciated.

What the heck do you buy them? Between both kids, there are 7 coaches who regularly coach them. Add in another 3-4 more that assist on occasion.

In the past, we had just one kid competing, so $25 value gift cards for each was pretty easy to swing. What on earth can I get them all that they'll actually appreciate, will show how much we appreciate all of them, will be of similar value, and won't make my bank statement cry?

Or, am I searching for a magical rainbow unicorn?

I almost bought each of them a $15 Panera gift card, but then felt cheap, and questioned whether they even eat Panera. o_O

Per my kids, one coach likes the color pink, and one likes to go fishing. Aaannnndddd, that's all the direction I have to go on. :confused:

Also - edited to add: girls team has a Christmas party with a gift exchange. To my understanding, boys will not. In the past, some years, apparently they've given boys coaches a team gift at team banquet late spring. Would it make sense to maybe skip a gift for boys coaches this Christmas, and give them something after season, at the banquet??? or...???
our parents usually just get together by group or whatever and all chip in for each coach. That way no one is spending a lot, and the coach gets a nice gift card or something. As a coach, we are very appreciative, but we definitely understand that expenses can go way up when a number of coaches are involved. So get together and chip in $5 each per coach or something. Its the thought that counts! :)

I'm doing Target gift cards. I figure no matter what you do or don't like, you can find something you want/need at Target.

I also found some cute printable candy bar wrappers on Esty that will go with. You can get ones that say, "Thanks, Coach!" with a gymnast, and you can personalize the back. You pay and download, then print them yourself, and they fit around a regular Hershey bar. I figured that would make it a little more fun than just, hey, here's your gift card.

We're lucky in that we only have three main coaches. I like them very much and genuinely want to buy them a gift in appreciation/recognition, but if I had SEVEN of them, I'd probably feel differently. That's a lot.

Thanks again, everyone!

I started on gifts for DD's three main coaches today. They'll each get something handmade, a small gift from a local chocolate shoppe, and a small gift card. Her male coach is getting one thing from the chocolate shoppe and probably a bigger gift card 'cause I'll give up :p (and/or maybe a 6pk of a local microbrew?!).

Next year, I'll definitely start this earlier and take up a collection for a group gift (big gift card or a bunch of gift cards).

For DS's coaches - he has four that rotate regularly, and a brand new fifth one who's been helping!! Goodness and this kid only practices three days a week. :) Anyway, I'm still hoping to corner all of the moms at tomorrow's meet. Wish me luck, lol. Hopefully we can go in together on something for all of them!

We do a team gift at the end of the year and individual Christmas gifts. For the end of the year we usually give $20 per coach, and they get a big gift card. Last year was to lululemon.

This year for Christmas I got the 3 coaches small coach wristlets that I got at a very good price. We will add a gift card (not sure to where yet) and the girls will make some cookies for them as well as a card. I am doing the same for the amazing lady who mans the desk, b/c without her the gym would not function.

I had the same issue. So I took initiative and with the owners blessing asked parents who were interested to contribute towards a team gift. After 2 emails I was able to get almost half the girls to contribute and now can give all the coaches a gift card that will actually buy something nice.

I think it might be a US thing. I gave gifts to coaches in the US. I haven't seen it since we've been abroad. It's been less stressful, honestly.

I'm in Australia and we are lucky cos end of training year/season/Christmas is all rolled into one! We do give gifts and this year I managed to get most of the 'new' L4s to contribute to a gift card to the local sports store. Hopefully it will be a useful gift!

And the number of coaches has exploded. 2 years ago, it was gifts for 4 coaches. Last year it was 7 coaches. This year, we have at least 9 coaches that regularly work with the girls.

Yikes - difficult at gift time - but you are so lucky too! Our gym has had heaps of trouble getting coaches, the only new ones we have had are the older kids training as coaches to fill the many gaps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back