Where are all the gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Started gym:
grade 1 - 6 years old
Reason why:
well apparently I was a bit stressed in my first year of school so my mum put in yoga for kids at the local rec. centre!! However I discovered there was something much more interesting going on down the hall at the other end of the centre... gymnastics!! I would beg mum to take me down to look through the doors every week! one holidays she put me in a holiday program and I have been hooked ever since! :D
Level now:
Level 10 (state)Favourite apparatus/skill:
probably beam. favourite skill depends!
Least favourite app/skill:
bars... it's so hard to get new skills!
Most encouraging story:
hmmm... don't think I have one
Goals:
to do well at state championships this year!! and to do all my routines like I have been in training :D:D

Started gym: 2000
Reason why: Saw the 2000 Olympics, thought it was cool
Level now: Prep Opt (hopes to make it to lvl 7 after this season)

Favourite apparatus/skill: Beam-backwalkover
Least favourite app/skill: Bars-kip

Most encouraging story: Don't know...

Goals:
~make it to YMCA nationals
~make it to lvl 7 next year
~be able to do handstand presses
~be able to make a straight arm kip
there's like a ton more...

You do ymca? Not many people on here do, but I do. My parents wanted me to have a lot of other opportunities, so the more relaxed program at our Y was a better decision. Even though we live very near to M and M, salto, and midwest twisters.

Started gym: 5 years old now I'm 13
Reason why: I tried everything else and hated it. I've been hooked on gym ever since!

Level now: 8!

Favourite apparatus/skill: Bars/ Cut catches! Giants!!!( when I make them over) Floor/ Front Tumbling
Beam/ back walkover bhs or bhs bhs( thats what I'm working on now!!!!!!!)
Least favourite app/skill: vault

Most encouraging story:hm well I have always been a really really bad dancer and now i'm working on it! I'm never gonna be the best dancer but maybe I can be better! HAHA!

Goals: to become a really good vaulter, to get my floor twisting really good and many more!

Started gym: When I was 2 years old (so I've been doing it for 18 years).
Reason why: I was way too active apparently, but I am so glad that I was.
Level now: Senior

Favourite apparatus/skill: I love all events! My favourite skill is the Tkatchev on uneven bars and the Amanar vault
Least favourite app/skill: I don't think I really have any... strange I know.

Most encouraging story: I think being told by your coach, head of the gymnastics programme and the national team coordinator to continue with my gymnastics is encouraging enough, especially at 20.

Goals:
I would love to be able to do the Cheng Fei vault

started gym: age 4 1/2, because my mom's friend thought i'd be good at gym... but my mom thought i'd get to involved in it. but finally she put me in.. and i got SUPER involved! i LOVE it!!!!!!

Level Now: 9 (i've been level 9 for 3 years now)

favourite skill: well, i love tsukahara vaults, and i love twisting anything... like double twist dismount off bars...

least favourite skill: umm... i'm terrified of handstand piroettes on bars (but not giant halfs strangly enough) also i dont' like beam that much

most inspiring thing:
well my coach after my last meet said i was alot tougher than he though and he could see me doing triple twist someday. it was really nice...

goals: triple twist dismount off bars, make it to easterns, stalder would be nice too...

Started gym: January 2006
Reason why:To get better at the things I like to do

Level now:5

Favourite apparatus/skill:Beam-BHS
Least favourite app/skill:Vault-Handspring

Most encouraging story:I fell off the beam twice at a mock meet and my team mates were really encouraging.

Goals:To compete level 8 next season!

started gym: my mother was one of the many who were inspired by the magnificent 7 in Atlanta. I started in 1996 at the age of 4 in those mommy and me classes
level now:7 but i don't compete
Favorite skill/apparatus: vault-tsuk
least favorite: i don't have a least favorite event but i don't enjoy flyaways on bars, their too boring and i don't know what other dimount i could possibly do.
most encouraging story: there's this level 7 at my gym [no names] but shes only 10 years old and she basically thinks that shes better than everyone and her parents and hugely competetive. anyway, one day my friend casey, before she joined team, and i were at the gym on tramp just minding our own buisness when this girl started critizing like every thing we did and saying how she could do it better [which mostly she can] but it was really mean and so i stepped onto the tramp and pulled out a front full, which i never did before. that girl can't do that, shes not very good at front tumbling. and i said "wait? can you do that?" and she left. it was one of the best moments of my life! lol
Goals: ultimate goal is to be a level 8 when i graduate high school

You do ymca? Not many people on here do, but I do. My parents wanted me to have a lot of other opportunities, so the more relaxed program at our Y was a better decision. Even though we live very near to M and M, salto, and midwest twisters.
whats the difference between club and YMCA?

started gym: when i was three
reason why: watched a gymnastics comp on tv and said "I wanna do that"
Level Now: It is called Advanced Gymnastics at my gym- :confused:

Favourite App. :BEAM BABY!
Least Favourite: Vault. :mad:

Most Encouraging Story: Adidas Ad, Nadia Comaneci

Goals: Get that handspring front layout done perfectly!!!!

hey im an "advanced gymnast" too. im quite sure what they mean by it!

whats the difference between club and YMCA?

YMCA is not its own gym. At my YMCA there is many other sports programs going on at the same time. Its not just a gym. Theres a big building with a gym in it. But anyway it basically means we have lots less equipment, and lots less practice time so were not about to go elite or anything but I think we are very good for the amount we practice.

Club would be like private club. Its just the gym. They have a lot of practice time and its wayyy more expensive then being at a YMCA. I'd say if you want to be really good go to a private club but if you want to have fun with it, still have a life out of gymnastics and be relatively good and save money I woul said go to a YMCA!

i started gymnastix and dance when i was 3 quit dance at 7 1/2 to do competitive gymnastics was level 7-8 when started was level 10 at age 10 then got injured and went down to level 4 (dont ask it was my coach) adn now i am still workin my way back up im 16 and i am a level 6-7 so yea i can throw harder skills though i started gymnastics because everyone thought i was good at it and i was favorite event: bars then floor then vault then beam i hate beam but im good at dance everyone loves my dance i guess my most encouraging story is what ive been through it was hard work but now its even harder so that just makes me work even harder goals: to be level 7 by december all i need is series on high beam and a giant and then i have it so im tryin
omg! i can't belive you were a level 10 when you were 10! thats amazing! i hope you really do reach your goals cuz thats really tragic that you had to start all over again

Started gym: I did it in middle school for a year, but quit becuase I was stuck training with little kids. Now I am rejoining at 15!

Reason why: An obsession!

Level now: 2 or 3 :(

Favourite apparatus/skill: round offs(sad isnt it? lol)

Least favourite app/skill: stretching in splits, aghh or back walkovers(always gives me headaches)

Most encouraging story: umm idk, probably when I saw my friend join gym last year and everyone told her she wouldn't be able to do anything because she was too old, but now she is on team!(i think level 5)

Goals: to be on a level 6 team! and be able to call myself a gymnast.

started gym: i started gym when i was about 4... a little earlier
reason: i guess i was climbing cabinets in my parents kitchen. lol.
level now/hours: now i am training level 9 with about 25 hours a week. my gym believes in long hours lol

favorite apparatus/skill: um i think bars is my fave with straddle back and giants being my fave skills
least favorite apparatus/skill: my least fave is vault because i broke my knee vaulting. my least fave skill is tsuk cuz thats the vault i broke it on.

Goals:
my goal is to learn a double arabian on fx and to learn this really cool trick thing on floor that i saw a level 10 do. it was sweet and i just gotta learn it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back