Where from here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
DD is 10, previously been at a gym that doesn't progress much past rec level (she was working on BG gold before she left) but is now in one of the best local clubs in their advanced group, which is made up of girls aged 8-13yrs who came into gym late so missed out on the normal team progression.

The skills she has, she's very strong on, but she's only just progressing only the likes of ROBHS etc, as she's not been allowed to do any form of tumbling past RO and aerials. Luckily she picks up skills super quickly (tonight, she got her FHS on full size vault on first attempt, and got front & back hip circles in one session before Xmas break), and her main coach keeps saying she can see how determined DD is. She only has 3hrs of training a week however.

I know from reading other posts that her current skill level probably rivals that of an average 7yr old on here in the grand scheme, and we're under no illusion that she'll ever reach elite level etc, but is there anywhere for her to go from here at her age?

She says all she wants to do is perform and compete, but trying navigate the world of UK gymnastics seems to be a mine field so I just don't have any answers as to whether that option is even there for her anymore, or if she's simply too old (and yes, one former coach did tell her this, another reason behind club move).

If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful :)

What I have learned is that it really does depend on your area.

She can do Regional grades, they start at Grade 14, Youtube has lots of videos.

She could probably compete at Novice / level 5 when she gets her vault competition ready - how is she on beam ?

In our county we have 4 piece at level 6 as well, I will send you the rules detailing the skills needed.

10 is not ancient, there are places to go

:)

She shouldn't be too old to compete at 10 years old! I only started gymnastics properly at age 13. I was able to compete in local recreational competitions- mainly floor and vault but some 4 piece competitions. I competed in them till I was 18 haha :p

Is there not any local recreational competitions she could enter? As margo says there is club grades- you said she had her backhip circle and round off flick so she could perhaps work towards club grade 12 (you can find the requirements by looking up grade 12 on youtube)

I know very little about it but have you heard of team gymnastics? I know some older gymnasts go onto do team gym where you only compete floor, vault, and trampete I believe. Could possible be a way for her to compete if there's a local club that does it?

I'll get her to have a look on YouTube and see what we can find out. Her coach & HC have said they will get her ready for when we relocate (assumed for regional grades but never clarified ready for what exactly). We're up in Norfolk next week, so I might ask the club's there for some localised advice.

Beam, she's better than I'd expect esp as her old club only had low beams. Seen her do cartwheels and BWO on the high beam, as long as there's plenty of mats underneath (coach says it's lack of experience not lack of ability)

Bless her, at 10 she says she feels ancient next to some of the team girls, so doing all I can to keep her boosted without driving myself to CGM level lol

Here's a link to grade 12 - by what you've described it sounds like she'd be able to aim for this sort of level- bars might be a bit hard.

Aww bless, I know the feeling. I was always one of the older ones at my old gym club but luckily had some friends of a similar age. I did go to a gymnastics camp at age 15 though... I was the oldest in my ability group by at least 3 years. Most were about 6 years younger, so I really did feel ancient :p The key is just to forget about age and enjoy the sport :)

Thanks for the vid!
Yep, bars she'd struggle with, esp as she only started bar work in Oct(!), but the rest she's getting close to I'd say.

I keep saying to her, just do it while you enjoy it, it doesn't matter if you never compete, as long as you have fun. But DD is a stubborn madam at times.

She's off to the camp at Rushmoor at Easter, which her HC is very excited for her as they are betting she'll come back a completely different gymnast. DD is just excited by whole days of gym :)

Well if she only started bar in october and already has her up and back hip circle it sounds like she's picking it up quickly!

Ahh really! That's the camp I went to! Great camp! Sure she'll have an amazing time and learn some new skills :)

Is there not any local recreational competitions she could enter?

I know very little about it but have you heard of team gymnastics? I know some older gymnasts go onto do team gym where you only compete floor, vault, and trampete I believe. Could possible be a way for her to compete if there's a local club that does it?

She's actually got a rec competition in March being held by her old club, so she's looking forward to that, even though she's being placed in the 12yrs+ class due to numbers.

Her old club actually did Team Gym (their primary team ranked 5th in uk this year), but clubs that offer it seem to be few and far between. Haven't worked out what Norfolk has to offer in that respect, but it'll be something we would consider if WAG doesn't work out for DD

Team gym would be my suggestion too. Like many I think competitive gymnastics should be more open in this country, in my DDs gym national and club grades are for those that didn't make the elite path not for new entrants from rec. Good luck seeing what there is in Norfolk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back