Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cartwheel on beam

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Back walkover on beam

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Full turn on beam

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Inspired by amberdezi's post. I only included the major skills (they were all that would fit!).

This all depends on the gymnast's strengths and weaknesses, of course, but I'd like to see what people vote :)

I say clear hips or RO-BHS-BT because there's so many little things to think about when you're doing them, especially when you start. I hope the BT pass will become a little more automatic so I don't have to think "kick into round-off, snap down hard, squeeze butt and stomach, set, tuck hard, knees together, spot, chest up" every single time I do it...but any kind of good clear hip is way off in the future (and a pretty hard skill for any level).

For me, floor and bars usually came easy in 5 - 6, beam was always the hardest for me, I could not get myself to do a backwalkover without spot anytime other than competitions.

I voted Kip-Cast. I find that the kip is the skill which takes the longest to learn (in general!) However, there is no resting after you have mastered it as you then need to make sure that the cast is connected to it, so you have to make sure that the kip itself is technically good.

Oh crap!! I forgot to put flyaway on there! D:

So far back walkover seems to be winning. Thank goodness it's not just me... lol

Last edited:
I didn't vote the one that was the scariest for me and took the longest to actually throw (which would of been the back walkover), but I voted the one that was physically the hardest. The clear hip!! I can not do a clear hip to above horizontal, and I am training level 8!

Well it wasn't on the list but i am finding the back extension to handstand being very difficult i am not sure if it is a compulsory skill in the US but in Australia it is for level 5 and i am finding it very very hard

Well it wasn't on the list but i am finding the back extension to handstand being very difficult i am not sure if it is a compulsory skill in the US but in Australia it is for level 5 and i am finding it very very hard

It is a compulsory skill; it is level 5 for america too! I agree that it's really hard, but there wasn't enough room on the list for it.

The backwalkover was the hardest for me. It wasn't really that scary at first, but I always went crooked and then my bottom foot began to slip out from under me sometimes (still don't know how that happened!) and I got scared of it. After level 6 I stopped doing backwalkovers on beam because I have a spondolysthesis (sp?) in my back and backwalkovers on the beam hurt it but not on floor; isn't that weird?

The other skills that were hard for me were kip cast and clear hip, but I didn't vote for those because it's pretty easy to do a small cast or a bad clearhip; it's just hard to do those skills well.

The level 6 beam dismount is impossible! It gave me almost as much trouble as the walkover!

I find it funny that I'd rather throw a back walkover than a cartwheel on beam anyday :p I voted Clear Hip; I've been training it since level 5 and I'm now training level 6 and they are definitely a piece of work!

I don't see just a plain round-off listed in the poll. From what I've seen, the round off is the most difficult skill to get correct from any skills I've coach all the way up to Elite level tumbling and vault. After that I'd say a kip.

I don't see just a plain round-off listed in the poll. From what I've seen, the round off is the most difficult skill to get correct from any skills I've coach all the way up to Elite level tumbling and vault. After that I'd say a kip.

You nailed them both! Or maybe we just don't realize the benifit of jerking our head around to turn our bodies???

I've been watching DD for 6 months now after switching leading legs on the roundoff. She's getting back to 'normal', but it has been a long time and probably thousands of round offs back and forth. In the course of this same six months, she's picked up BWO on beam, BHS on beam, front tuck, back tuck, RO-BHS-BT, cast-HS and nearly has the flyaway. The one she drills more than any of those? The roundoff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back