Coaches Which gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi gymtigermom, Yes she competed this past year with gym A. She was not doing the day program though (which is more serious). They don't sugarcoat anything at this gym, so they have no problem saying "no" to even the smallest request. What happened was when she first started at the gym both owners said they thought she was a "good" gymnast. According to some of the other moms, this is quite a compliment compared to things they were told about their daughters. However, they did not pay much attention to my daughter until they saw her compete. Once they saw her compete each coach came to me at a separate time and said they thought she "competed well" and explained why they were saying this. (It was not based on her scores). The owner initiated a serious conversation with me about this, I didn't ask anything about the meets. Considering she has only had a total of 3 conversations with me in a season, her tone sounded serious. They changed her training group and said they wanted her in the more serious day program. They calculated her age to see how long they would have to train her. To clarify, they did not say specifically that she would have to do levels 5, 6, and 7. They don't make formal plans and tell the parents what they are. I just assumed they would do this since they don't do prepop, but I am not really sure. I have seen them have a girl do one level the fall season, and then another level the spring season.

Has Gym A said that they would have her compete L6, or are you just assuming this?
As for the Xcel (Excel / Prep-Op) Program, it was Nationalized for this coming season. If a gym is having girls compete this in lieu of a full L5 season, they would most likely have them competing Gold or Platinum. Gold is slightly easier than New L6... and Platinum is between New L6 and L7 in terms of difficulty.
Gold = 6 A skills or value parts / event. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
L6 = 5 A's and 1 B. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
Platinum = 6 A's and 1 B. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
L7 = 5 A's and 2 B's. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
Then there are the special requirements. All 4 require a full turn on beam and floor.

With all the nuances in the new L4 & L5 routines, I would think that a test out meet of L5 would be done earlier and then do Xcel or L6 or L7 (depending on skill development). We had some gyms in our area get ahead of the routine changes and hold "Bump Up" meets in like April and May for those girls who competed Old L5. They competed the bump up meet as L6 and if they got a 31, they were eligible to compete New L6 or L7 this coming season. Then the gym itself sets the criteria for deciding what level to have the girl compete.

Has Gym A said that they would have her compete L6, or are you just assuming this?
As for the Xcel (Excel / Prep-Op) Program, it was Nationalized for this coming season. If a gym is having girls compete this in lieu of a full L5 season, they would most likely have them competing Gold or Platinum. Gold is slightly easier than New L6... and Platinum is between New L6 and L7 in terms of difficulty.
Gold = 6 A skills or value parts / event. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
L6 = 5 A's and 1 B. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
Platinum = 6 A's and 1 B. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
L7 = 5 A's and 2 B's. Vault is L6/7 Vault Chart
Then there are the special requirements. All 4 require a full turn on beam and floor.

With all the nuances in the new L4 & L5 routines, I would think that a test out meet of L5 would be done earlier and then do Xcel or L6 or L7 (depending on skill development). We had some gyms in our area get ahead of the routine changes and hold "Bump Up" meets in like April and May for those girls who competed Old L5. They competed the bump up meet as L6 and if they got a 31, they were eligible to compete New L6 or L7 this coming season. Then the gym itself sets the criteria for deciding what level to have the girl compete.

Hi Raenndrops thank you so much for your reply. I read it a while ago and continued to look at options within driving distance. We decided on GYM C!!! There were some huge changes made at a nearby gym, and somehow our timing was perfect. (They changed their entire coaching staff for team and are now training past the compulsory levels). Gym C is focusing a lot on form and I like the coaching style. The team is small and my daughter will get a lot of attention this year. She will compete at the gold level of Xcel, and be tested out of the new 5 at some point this year. The coach is going to put the level 5 skills in the Xcel routines. She should have a successful season at this gym. It is not an elite gym, but I think the training will be in the ballpark. This has bought us some time and we don't have to make a move that we really weren't ready for. Again thank you everyone for your feedback and input! It was all very helpful!

Hi Raenndrops thank you so much for your reply. I read it a while ago and continued to look at options within driving distance. We decided on GYM C!!! There were some huge changes made at a nearby gym, and somehow our timing was perfect. (They changed their entire coaching staff for team and are now training past the compulsory levels). Gym C is focusing a lot on form and I like the coaching style. The team is small and my daughter will get a lot of attention this year. She will compete at the gold level of Xcel, and be tested out of the new 5 at some point this year. The coach is going to put the level 5 skills in the Xcel routines. She should have a successful season at this gym. It is not an elite gym, but I think the training will be in the ballpark. This has bought us some time and we don't have to make a move that we really weren't ready for. Again thank you everyone for your feedback and input! It was all very helpful!
I am glad I could help and happy to hear that you found the right gym for your DD at the right time :)
I have a gymmie that competes Xcel Gold too. She (as of Thursday night) has OFFICIALLY put her RO BHS BT into her floor routine. Now, if I can get her to do her flyaway on bars and her BWO-BWO that she had 2 years ago on beam, life will be good ;). I am thinking that after this year, I might be able to convince her to try either New 6 or Xcel Platinum (right now, she is scared of the fact that she HAS to have a B on each event for these levels). She is working on a RO on beam... or a dive cartwheel, working on a back layout on the air track, and has a free hip on bars... I also think she could have a cast handstand in a few weeks if she set her mind to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back