Parents Which level has the biggest drop off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
I know level 10 has the smallest number of gymnasts, but I don't know that there is a huge drop off between 9 and 10. From what you've seen, what level sees the biggest number of gymnasts dropping out? No real reason behind this question, just curious.

Single biggest? Who knows, but there's a precarious drop off between 6 and 9.
True, but there is also a huge difference in skills between 6 and 9. From one level to another it definitely gets harder, but by a lesser degree. Just bored and pondering.

Here is an old thread of some stats...

Here is an old thread of some stats...

Good info!

That Regular Athlete's graphic is super interesting- numbers could have shifted some since then, but definitely looks like ages 11-12 are the peak, with numbers dropping after that.

That Regular Athlete's graphic is super interesting- numbers could have shifted some since then, but definitely looks like ages 11-12 are the peak, with numbers dropping after that.
Not surprising. That’s right at puberty.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'drop off' in numbers is comparatively higher from 7-8. This seems like the first point where gymnasts need to be confident with some stuff that is down right terrifying to the average human. More technical skill is needed in places that cannot be replaced with just sheer talent.
There are fewer coaches/gym programs with the knowledge and skill to develop gymnasts in preparation for the higher levels - so geographic luck also starts to potentially play a bigger role in a gymnasts success. The financial increase, along with this being a level that often coincides with schooling changes and body changes can make it all feel too hard.

I don't have any official idea, but since you asked what we've seen at our gyms, I'll answer based on that. In my daughter's experience, I think before and after level 4 and then after/around level 9 have been the biggest dropoff. My daughter lost most of the team she started with by level 5. I think, of those that left, about half were training for level 4 and the other half were after level 4 was complete. They mostly just decided to explore other sports. A lot of new girls came to the gym after level 5 and they were mostly steady through level 8. Level 9 though was hard and we had some leave the sport after their first season of 9. We had some repeat 9 and then leave. Just in general, there is a pretty large number that do not make the transition to level 10. Once they get to 10, most seem to stay unless injuries become an issue.

Anecdotally for me it seems going from compulsory to Optionals (sometimes that means level 4 to 6 or level 5 to 6 depending on if the gym or the individual kid does level 5) and that seems to be because if increase in hours and more interest in outside gym activities. The other big drop off seems to be level 8. Flipping vaults is hard and scary and I think there is a big jump in skill requirements on other events as well.

I think if you can get over that scare factor for level 8 you can probably keep advancing just the rate of advancement is going to vary by individual capabilities. Some kids may spend multiple years at levels 8, 9, and 10 instead of moving up a level a year.

Which level has the biggest drop off?

I guess I look at it more by what they can't get...

Typically the kids that can't get bars drop out first (so before Level 7). Some kids just don't seem to want to go the route of handstands and giants no matter what you do.

Then it moves into the kids that can't get (or are scared of) more advanced skills (flipping vaults... double backs on bars... advanced trampolining for air sense). This drop off could be before or during Level 8 at our club.

Totally anecdotal, but at my DD's gym it appears there's larger attrition after L4/5, and then again after L7. Some of it seems skills/block related, and some is puberty related. With L4/5, I think there's the issue of the time commitment for optionals, too. I think some families decide the jump in hours isn't worth it.

In our gym I've noticed a bigger dropoff by age than by level. Most girls leave during middle school (11-13ish). I think this usually corresponds (for your average gymnast) with going from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 with increased time and skill demand or around Xcel Gold/Platinum (same number of hours at our gym so no time increase) for those not in the DP program. Puberty, wanting to have time for friends/social activities, increasing academic pressure, wanting to try new activities, etc. seem to be the main contributing factors. It was especially bad the past year and a half or so. Girls' bodies grew more rapidly during covid gym shutdowns which caused skill loss and struggle, there were injuries coming back into the gym (even with all precautions taken by the gym to ease in), girls were used to more free time and then faced combining gym with middle school in person for the first time, etc. All of the girls within a year of my daughters age who all did L4 together leading up to the shutdowns in 2020 have left the sport except for my daughter!

I'd say level 7 or 8, but age also plays a big part. The 12-14 year old age group is hard for a lot of gymnasts (middle/high school, growth spurts, puberty).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back