Who is on your USA women's team now?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kerri Strug, Dominque Dawes & Shannon Miller were all in 1992 and 1996

Dawes & Amy Chow were both in 1996 & 2000

So not unprecedented, but extremely rare, especially as the US program has strengthened so since 2000.

But remember the age limit changed in 1997. Slightly easier for a gymnast to have done more than one olympics before then, since first one could be when gymnast was 14 or 15. I think Strug and Miller were both 15 at their first. Someone like Nastia would have likely done 2 O's under old age limit rules.

Just thought I'd share this article from the Balance Beam Situation. It mirrors my thoughts on what the team will be, making very valid points (and providing some good laughs, too, as per usual with this blog).

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2016/06/28/post-championships-olympic-prospects/#more-2186
Great article! Think it's pretty spot on. My only quibble would be with the description of the alternate situation.(obviously was written before Baumann pulled out) Outside the top 5, I don't think there are ANY girls in the alternate mix with team finals level routines except Locklear and Skinner. The top 4 all-arounders are solid on every event(except Aly's bars), so you already have a built in alternate. Pull in Skinner if one of your team final vaulters gets injured. Pull in Locklear for UB. Whichever one of the top 4 AA wasn't going to do beam and fx would be the best backup for those events. I don't think there is another athlete in the alternate mix that would be trusted on beam and fx in team finals over that athlete(likely Gabi or Laurie).

Someone help this poor, uninformed person out (me). There is no selection camp this year? All decisions are made and announced on Sunday?

Someone help this poor, uninformed person out (me). There is no selection camp this year? All decisions are made and announced on Sunday?

Yes. But they then go to camp until they leave where they work out and continue to show routine readiness. The alternates go as well.

After watching tonight I don't think gabby is going to make the team, she feel on a turn! I think they are better taking someone else, use Laurie for bars, if she hadn't done that extra pirouette she and gabby would have had the same score.

My team would be Biles, Raisman, Hernandez, Douglas, and either Kocian or Locklear.

I don't think they'll take Skinner to the Olympics even if she performs outstandingly at Trials Day 2. And between Biles, Raisman, Hernandez (and potentially Douglas) we'd have VT/FX on lock, even though no one but Biles is eligible for the VT finals.

Even though Douglas has been making mistakes she could step in on VT, FX, UB if other teammates are struggling at camp or in quals.

I could be wrong of course, but my guess is that the day 2 results/all around order could have some really significant differences to day 1, which will make the selection very interesting..

My team would be Biles, Raisman, Hernandez, Douglas, and either Kocian or Locklear.

I don't think they'll take Skinner to the Olympics even if she performs outstandingly at Trials Day 2. And between Biles, Raisman, Hernandez (and potentially Douglas) we'd have VT/FX on lock, even though no one but Biles is eligible for the VT finals.

Even though Douglas has been making mistakes she could step in on VT, FX, UB if other teammates are struggling at camp or in quals.

So could Madison, Maggie or Ragan...or Amelia or Skinner. Gabby seems completely disconnected. Hard to say what's actually going on with her, but it does not seem good. Not the mindset you'd want to have going into the pressure cooker that is the Olympics.

So could Madison, Maggie or Ragan...or Amelia or Skinner. Gabby seems completely disconnected. Hard to say what's actually going on with her, but it does not seem good. Not the mindset you'd want to have going into the pressure cooker that is the Olympics.

Whatever is going on with her is either causing or stemming from some coaching issues. Gabby was allowed multiple coaches on floor last night and instead kittia stayed in the stands (they say gabby chose to just have 1 coach on floor.....but who knows, maybe kittia is the one who chose to stay in stands, can't really say). Whatever the reason, there is something major behind the scenes there

If Kittia was in the stands (or even in the arena), why didn't they show her? I agree something major is going on behind the scenes. I don't think she's even there...if she was, they would have shown her.

The coach thing strikes me as very strange too. I saw Marta quoted in some article saying she wouldn't have recommended the coaching change.

It's strange because she was allowed to have 2 coaches out there, but didn't have her primary coach out there, and then said it wasn't a big deal because she needs a coach who can spot her, which doesn't really make sense because he could have been there as well and does one really get spotted at trials?

If Kittia was in the stands (or even in the arena), why didn't they show her? I agree something major is going on behind the scenes. I don't think she's even there...if she was, they would have shown her.

A source from her gym says Kittia is in Ohio.

A source from her gym says Kittia is in Ohio.

Gosh. All this coaching drama has got to be hard on Gabby. At one point they showed her waiting to go on floor and chow was standing there like 15 feet away. Anyone who has ever left a gym knows how much pressure is to be at a meet where you are going against your old coach - imagine that at Olympic trails! Plus, wasn't her exit from Chows last time less than amicable? Now there's drama w/ Kittia - and this stuff about them telling the press she was there when she really wasn't and that it's cause of spotting? Very odd. It's got to be hard on her whatever it is that's going on.

She's brought 95% of the gym change drama on herself. She's not 16 anymore, she's an adult. I have trouble feeling sorry for people who create their own drama.

I feel more sorry for Kittia who's stands to have her reputation and gym take a hit for this. She has a great program there and does a ton for region 5.

I also feel for Gabby - no she is not a child but she is just being used by her family. Like her 26 year old sister who is too busy 'supporting' Gabi ( by shopping, travelling and living in a large cali home) to make something of her own life.
Its a shame Sheryl Shade never got that trust fund set up for Gabby prior to her deadbeat lazy mommager taking over. Gabby could have stayed at chows actually trained ( and paid the bill), not pissed around with lining her families pockets or bailing them out everytime the have defaulted on the mortgage. No wonder Gabby has lost her passion - who is she doing this for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back