Who is still paying their gym fees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who is still paying gym fees?

• Total voters

LTmom

Proud Parent
Please feel free to make comments but I don’t want this to turn into an ugly debate. My gym assured team that they would make it financially make sense for us. But the creative math needs to be updated each month of the quarantine and this month they didn’t send out any communication; they just auto billed. Now I’m afraid if the gym goes under, we have just thrown money into a black hole never to be recovered.

I voted yes, however, our gym is not charging us tuition. The gym owner froze our accounts the day the gym closed, but they have continued to pay the coaches. We received an e-mail requesting us to consider paying any amount of tuition for April, if we were able. So, we paid the full amount. Some others did, as well, and some did not. The gym is providing Zoom workouts as least 3 days a week (my daughter has access to 5 days a week) whether you paid tuition or not.

We were given the “opportunity” to choose to pay tuition for April and May. I paid for April but not for May. It sounds as if the gym is planning to reopen as soon as the state government allows, at which time we will be pulling our child from the program. If the gym were planning to remain closed, I would be more willing to pay the May tuition.

Since it is now obvious that the federal government and most state governments have decided to give up and let the virus spread unchecked, we don’t feel safe allowing our child out in public. If governments had waited until things had died down and then implemented an aggresive containment strategy, we might have felt differently. So at least for our family, the decision to reopen prematurely is having the opposite of the intended economic effect.

Yes for one, no for the other. One kid's gym asked team parents to keep paying if they could, so we are. The other gym won't accept payment until they open up again.

We are still paying. Our gym asked parents to keep paying in full if it is financially feasible, and they are giving those who keep paying a monthly rebate back of the paid tuition spread over 10 months once it reopens. Plus they are providing substantial online coaching. My daughter will be doing 8-10 hours online this week with the coaches of conditioning, yoga, and strength exercises. We are able to pay and would have anyway, but I feel like we are getting substantial value in return, especially given the discount we'll get over the next year or so.

Voted yes. Our gym is not requiring us to pay for April or May, but many team parents still did. I’ll pay as long as I am able. Ours is the only gymnastics facility in over an hour from where we live and losing it would be not only a great loss to the community, but to our family.

I paid per school term (South Africa), so paid for full term at end of March. We received an email last week to tell us about new online sessions and we now pay much less per month. The tuition will be subtracted from the term fee that I paid end of March which will help financially as it should last about 6 months if the gym doesn't reopen before that. I would, however, have continued to pay in full even if there were no online classes.

I didn’t vote because my kid is in a unique situation where she trained for free already, both at home and at school, but her gym isn’t charging anyone right now. My dancer daughter’s studio charges full tuition though and didn’t even allow reductions in hours to lessen tuition.

My vote is mixed because we received part of March tuition back. We didn’t pay for April and are paying a reduced rate for May for limited small group sessions.

I voted yes but it's a little less than half. They are doing about 6 hours of zoom training a week. I feel like it is a good deal. I am pretty concerned the gym won't make it. Quite a few girls have quit- for most it was already coming and this provided the opportunity.

My gym is not charging nor did they offer on a 'pay at will' option to collect from families. I would have paid if they still wanted to charge us.

We are still paying. It's a slightly reduced amount and they are receiving 16 hours of online training a week. We've been happy with what they have come up with to keep the girls engaged and at least somewhat in shape. I think one benefit of their approach is that as far as I know, we've only had 1 girl decide to leave. Everyone else is attending daily zooms and staying committed, at least so far.

Our gym froze our accounts the day they closed. However, we have continued to pay our full tuition in spite of that and so have many of the team parents. We get the option of 8 hours of Zoom workouts spread over a 5 day period regardless of whether we have paid or not.

No parent is under any obligation whatsoever to pay but those who can, do. We are a small gym, like family. It's the only gym in our area to have level 10 gymnasts and they care so much about the girls. I'm not sure we'd keep our daughter in the sport if our gym closed so we're doing what we can to support them and they've been beyond grateful.

Voted yes. Our gym also froze our accounts so we have not paid full tuition April or May. They are offering online classes for both rec kids and team. $35 for rec and $100 for team per month. We are paying the team class for our oldest (L5). They have drills and workouts that can be done with no equipment, and live team Zoom meetings three times per week. I know it can be tough doing these workouts by herself away from Coach and teammates so we have been pretty lax with when she chooses to do it.

Our gym has not sent an invoice or asked for any sort of payment. We are fortunate to still be working. So we are paying about 60%. I actually had to ask the to cash the check.

We are. We are fortunate to have no employment/income loss, so we can afford to. It is optional at our gym, but you do get zoom workouts if you keep up which is helpful. Since we can afford it and we want the gym to survive, we're doing what we can to help.

Our gym has not asked for payment, and being on auto-bill, I'm not sure how I would offer it anyway. If they offered Zoom classes or similar, we would be happy to pay something for them. DD16 and her groupmates continue to condition together via group FaceTime 5-6 days per week. This is on their own, not coach-led.

My DD18's dance studio is still charging full tuition and is offering a wide range of Zoom classes (including the 5 she usually took in studio) that she can take as desired. It is very difficult to do pointe classes at home, so she is not doing her 2 pointe classes except in flat. It's nice to have other classes to take during this challenging time.

I do think if our gym did a leo fundraiser, or offered other gym-related fundraisers, most of the families who are still able would be willing to participate. The majority of the team is very supportive of the gym and would do what they could to help keep it going.

We are still paying. We (the team families) also have done a couple of fundraisers to earn money to donate to our gym. It's a tough time. We are all worried they won't survive this. And we are located in a state that won't open gyms for a long time. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back