WHY DID THE 2008 OLYMPIC GYMNASTS HAVE pink LEOS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i dont get why their leotards were pink in some pictures...were those just their leos from something else or what? i cant remember whether they actually wore the pink ones during the 2008 olympics or not, but i couldve sworn they did! please correct me if im wrong, because its driving me nuts!

i think there is some confusion. my recollection is that only Nastia wore the pink leo during all-around finals. this has to do with her Cover Girl contract. see below.

USTeam08OlyHarryHowGETTY82281166.jpg

when they wear pink they wear it bc Nastia is the queen and her fav color is pink! They didnt wear the pink in comp @ olympics, but they do wear them for competition!

Interesting...

I had no idea it was down to contracts? Is the Covergirl thing the source of the pink then?

I always found it cool when a team would show up at the next big competition wearing the leo made famous by their top gymnast. Think Shoushounova '88 and the Soviet team leos in '89. Almost seemed like paying homage to them!

They are certainly getting plenty of mileage from that pink leo tho :rolleyes:

I don't really care what the reason for the pink leotards was for, USA gymnasts are representing the USA and should be wearing the US colors, IMHO. They have three choices: Red, White or Blue! Or any combination of those colors. Wearing any other color seems disrespectful to me! What kind of message does it send to other countries? I was personally upset with the choice of pink.

Yeah I think I was watching the pacific rim and they were saying how many countries werent wearing their colors anymore, and us being one of them. You are representing our country so you should be wearing our colors!

I don't especially care what they're wearing as long as they're fully covered. (I hate sleeveless leos; they do not convey a 'professional' look, for want of a better term)

But really, how many countries have red/white/blue flags? Off the top of my head: UK, US, Cuba, Chile, France, Russia, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Luxembourg*, Slovakia, Slovenia**, Czech Republic, Australia, New Zealand, and probably a few Oceania states.

*Okay, this one is a pale blue
**3 yellow stars, but not enough to make a splash

Last edited:
This is just what I heard, but I think in 2008, Martha REALLY liked AOGC's pink leos from Nats. And thus, our bubblegum army was born. Haha but I mainly blame Nastia. They really should be wearing red, white, and blue though I don't mind the pink and purple that much.

I don't especially care what they're wearing as long as they're fully covered. (I hate sleeveless leos; they do not convey a 'professional' look, for want of a better term)

But really, how many countries have red/white/blue flags? Off the top of my head: UK, US, Cuba, Chile, France, Russia, Norway, Iceland, Netherlands, Luxembourg*, Slovakia, Slovenia**, Czech Republic, Australia, New Zealand, and probably a few Oceania states.

*Okay, this one is a pale blue
**3 yellow stars, but not enough to make a splash

Australia uses Green and Gold because they are considered Aussie colours its never lets support Aust by wearing red white and blue its lets support by wearing green and gold and thats what all our sports teams wear these days

HOw many countries are represented by red , white and blue??? Not just the USA, they do not have a patent on those colours! Pink was lovely.

I think when competing as a team, they should wear the team colors, in this case, red white and blue. However, for all-around and event competitions, which are more about the individual, they should be able to wear what they want to. Thus, I had no problem with the pink leo. I liked how they had different colors of the same design.

yes, i was gunna say something along the lines of what gymgurl said its not really whats on your flag its what your country wears :) and bog is right i thought pink was nice, as long as the are the same in what they are wearing and work as a team, it shouldnt matter what they are wearing but what they are doing :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back