Parents Why do high level JO gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrchidZ

Proud Parent
This is an honest and serious question for parents whose kid does not intend to or, for whatever reason, can't pursue Hopes or Elite:

What is your "Why?" as a family?

When you consider all that goes into it.. Some families have to make educational compromises to accommodate the gym schedule. You give up time as a family. Limited or lost opportunities for family vacations. Resources that go to gymnastics can't go to other family members (time, energy, finances for parents, other siblings, etc..). Injuries, doctors, special food, supplements, and gear. Considering all of that, why do this sport? Perhaps, a kid might end up with a scholarship and more gymnastics in college. There's a potential for that experience. But kids can get sense of team and accomplishment elsewhere. Given injuries at the high levels, the college gymnastics thing is an uncertainty anyway. A lower level or standard of education for the potential of competing in college with a sports scholarship seems counter intuitive. Is "she enjoys it" enough when it comes to all that goes into it?

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who decided it wasn't something they wanted to pursue.

Thanks!

We're not "high level" at this point. Dd does not have the talent for hopes/elite. She'd be lucky to make it to 10 and compete club in college. That being said, I'll support her as long as she wants to continue because she LOVES the sport and it is her passion. She wants to compete in college and though I don't think it's all that realistic, she does not know I think that and she never will. We have many conversations about how if she does her best and gives it her all, she cannot feel bad with the outcomes of anything. That being said, if she becomes plagued by injuries at some point, we will reconsider. We have dd at a gym that we trust, where I am not seeing a high number of injuries among the level 8-10 athletes, and where girls who have injuries are allowed time to heal. If we could not find a gym that we felt had a healthy approach, again, it'd be a different situation.

This is an honest and serious question for parents whose kid does not intend to or, for whatever reason, can't pursue Hopes or Elite:

What is your "Why?" as a family?

When you consider all that goes into it.. Some families have to make educational compromises to accommodate the gym schedule. You give up time as a family. Limited or lost opportunities for family vacations. Resources that go to gymnastics can't go to other family members (time, energy, finances for parents, other siblings, etc..). Injuries, doctors, special food, supplements, and gear. Considering all of that, why do this sport? Perhaps, a kid might end up with a scholarship and more gymnastics in college. There's a potential for that experience. But kids can get sense of team and accomplishment elsewhere. Given injuries at the high levels, the college gymnastics thing is an uncertainty anyway. A lower level or standard of education for the potential of competing in college with a sports scholarship seems counter intuitive. Is "she enjoys it" enough when it comes to all that goes into it?

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who decided it wasn't something they wanted to pursue.

Thanks!

I have two optionals gymnasts a L7 (12) and second year L9 (14). they both practice 20 hours week. Neither has any desire to compete in college. They do it because they like the team, they like the disciple and they love learning new skills. Neither of them particularly enjoys competing. They loved having strong bodies and they know they can pursue other sports at any time. They are also involved in a lot of other activities and volunteer work and miss practice when they need to. They are both very strong students and school always comes first. I think putting so much energy into gymnastics really shapes they way that they spend their time. I think not having very much leisure time in middle school and high school is actually good for mental health. They are great time managers and just love getting involved with a lot of stuff. As a parent, I definitely wonder if it is worth it, but I really like the people that my children are becoming. They have grit, tenacity, and mental toughness. They take criticism well. They don't rely on others for validation. They are selfless is supporting their teammates. They eagerly approach new situations. They know how long it takes to master new skills and have learned to manage the frustration that comes with that. There are a lot of good life lessons learned in higher level gymnastics that are way more important than the lifespan of the sport.

@OrchidZ toughy.

I am not sure what you mean by high level. My DD is 11 and Level 8. We talk frequently about commitment, work ethic, and enjoyment levels. I have well-communicated expectations on all three of these. We do it is because she loves it and has dreams she wants to attempt to fulfill. You are right much is sacrificed for gymnastics but also much is gained. As others mention strong bodies, minds, and excellent friendships. I feel that being involved in something she loves so much will allow the transition to adulthood to happen with less chance of poor teenage decision making becoming a factor (huge factor me). She is a wonderful teammate and supports her friends with zest. Those are characteristics I would instill in her without gymnastics.

As a parent, it is hard to watch her struggle but I remind myself that the greatest things in life are the things I had to work hard for. I hope she learns this lesson as well.

Mine is a 13 year old about to compete L8 for the first time this year. We live in Canada so the NCAA dream is not something we've ever focused on and no one should be in gym hoping for a scholarship, you're better off ploughing gym tuition into a savings account to pay for college. She won't go elite, she probably has the ability to get to 10 and if she still loves it and her long term health is not compromised then we will let her stay at it as long as she still likes being there. Although she does miss school one afternoon a week, I don't feel we've compromised on her education for this and the lessons she's learned about persistence and hard work through her involvement in this sport are invaluable. If she walks away from this experience with the work ethic she has now and maturity, all the years at gym were worth every penny. She has amazing physical ability and I'm sure she'd be in some sport anyways at an intense level so why not this one? She's in a great environment with supportive coaches so I don't see it as a waste if she isn't elite or college bound. When she's finished at gym she has her eyes set on track and field and I'm sure will jump in with both feet and also be successful when the time comes because of her physical IQ and work ethic.

Because my 2 daughters love the sport and said they would run away if I made them quit. They chose gymnastics, not me. Their dad and I just tried to get out of their way. Also, because it was possible for our family; we had the resources to make it work, and we only have the 2 girls so it didn't impact other siblings.

I'm looking at it from the end; YD is a senior so this is her last year at JO. Yes, there were injuries and sacrifices and special school schedules and tears. There was also travel to interesting (and not so interesting) places, close knit friendships (both among athletes and parents), challenges overcome, victories celebrated. I can't say 100% if it was worth it or not, but I can say I honestly can't imagine our lives having been any other way.

And next year we will be able to start taking all those vacations we missed!

We're not "high level" at this point. Dd does not have the talent for hopes/elite. She'd be lucky to make it to 10 and compete club in college. That being said, I'll support her as long as she wants to continue because she LOVES the sport and it is her passion. She wants to compete in college and though I don't think it's all that realistic, she does not know I think that and she never will. We have many conversations about how if she does her best and gives it her all, she cannot feel bad with the outcomes of anything. That being said, if she becomes plagued by injuries at some point, we will reconsider. We have dd at a gym that we trust, where I am not seeing a high number of injuries among the level 8-10 athletes, and where girls who have injuries are allowed time to heal. If we could not find a gym that we felt had a healthy approach, again, it'd be a different situation.

This is similar to how I feel. My daughter is fortunate that a lot of things have come fairly easily to her. Gymnastics does not. She is definitely not the most talented kid in the gym, but even though other sports came more easily to her, she chose to work hard at one of the hardest sports I've ever encountered. Sometimes while watching the conditioning I wonder how on earth a kid wants to put in a full day of school and then go straight to 3.5 hours of hard practice (for fun!) I think it's extremely unlikely she'll ever get a gymnastics scholarship (like Dahlia, I won't share that view with her at this point), but she does very well in school, has friends, hobbies, and other interests, and we can afford to pay for it, so I will support her in gymnastics for as long as she wants to do it and it is a healthy place for her physically, mentally, and emotionally.

My son just started JO and is much less intense about the whole thing than my daughter, so I have no idea how far he'll want to go, but we'll support him the same way.

Personally I think all the negatives you list apply to any sport at which the child is committed at a "high level" you could say the same thing about soccer, baseball, football, ballet etc. So why does any family attempt high level sports? It has to come from the child's desire to do the sport and for me you support them because the life lessons it builds. Strength, commitment, time management etc. I think you see a difference in the mindset of kids who competed at a high level of sport and it sets them up for success later in life. I don't really care what level my kids get to in their respective sports but I wanted them committed to activities and to achieving in those activities because I firmly believe it will aid in their development into functional adults. I would be equally committed to music, academics, or other non sport activities as well--in fact I tell my kids if you quit this don't think you get to sit on the couch and watch TV we will be finding something to take its place immediately. When they know that lazy isn't an option they realize they like their sport and don't want to change lol.

Also as an adult I see a correlation to success and collegiate sports. We have hired MANY former collegiate athletes and they tend to be the more successful people at my job. Some people who look "better on paper" have not been nearly as adaptable and successful as the student athletes we have hired. So anecdotally I see the value of athletics even after your competitive days are over.

My daughter is a 10 yo level 7. She has distant hopes for a college scholarships but she has never had any desire to be elite. As a family we would never pursue that either. She loves the sport of gymnastics. She loves her coaches and her friends at gymnastics. That is all that matters. When that goes away she can find something else.

My boys both do sports. They are not candidates for college scholarships. They certainly will not go pro.

As a human it is our nature to want to challenge ourselves physically and mentally to be our best. And that is what sports do for us.

The skills and life lessons we learn from athletics or other hobbies make us a well rounded person.

That is why my daughter does gymnastics. Not for the glory or fame or to be the top gal in her sport. But bc she loves it.

I re-read your questions, and I am not sure what you are asking. I guess, is the time & money dedicated to the sport at the higher levels worth it? This is so individual, and based on your family structure and resources. I can imagine many situations where the family simply cannot support it because they literally do not have the means.

Is "she enjoys it" enough? Depends on what you mean by "enjoy". At the higher levels, there is a level of dedication required that I feel it goes beyond "enjoy". Passion. From the gymnast, not the parents. Drive, ambition, pushing themselves to see what's possible. Can they meet these needs in other ways? Probably, but I imagine there will still be sacrifice required no matter where their passion lies. Kids who simply "enjoy" it, tend to find they enjoy other things even more, like having a social life and going to regular school and going on vacations. And they retire when they hit that point.

Personally, when I've found myself wanting my kids to quit, it was out of fear due to an injury. But the question for me was, can I forbid their passion because of my fear? I could - I'm the parent and decider. But should I? Once they fall in love with the sport, you will be taking something away from them by asking them to quit. No one can tell if that decision is ultimately right or wrong. You do what's best for the family, and hope things turn out OK.

Almost 13 yr old L8.
No big college dreams even. And given the current state and situation I’m beyond good with this.

Why. She likes it. We are fortunate to be able to give her the opportunity. She likes her tribe/team. She is beyond strong. One of the best female athletes in her school district. She has learned so much. About patience, hard work, time management, facing challenges and commitment. She is a high honor roll student and part of that is because all gymnastics and her coaches have taught her about effort and hard work.

She has a good balance of sports, school and other friends and activities.

Are there things my husband and would rather do with our time? Sure but this is parenting, kids take up our time. We signed up for it. I’m positive I’ll be missing her like crazy in 6 yrs.

Wouldn’t change a thing, so far.

There are so many reason kids do high level JO gymnastics. Same as to why kids do high level other sports too; travel soccer, swimming etc. The two biggest ones: they love it and the possibility of continuing in college. Adding to they love it, if they didn't do it, there is nothing they would want to do more. On nay short break from gym, my son quickly realizes that going to gymnastics and working hard is so good for him. If he didn't have gym, he'd need to find another physical outlet, but there is nothing that he'd rather do than gymnastics. What keeps them going? Their goals, it's not just the long-term but day-by-day and year-by-year. Skill goals, making it to a certain level, qualifying to nationals etc.

I understand the question, and I've thought about it myself. It seems crazy to do something that has so many downsides, and where the end state may be really bad, and regardless will be nothing spectacular.

Kind of like life, actually. Life is hard. Most of us have to work, which is often not fun, and sometimes is stressful. People can be mean. Some parts are boring. People we love die. We have to bear witness to so much suffering around the world, and sometimes experience that suffering ourselves. Our kids cause us so much stress! We have bills to pay, and sometimes that causes stress. Oh and then there are health problems. Even if we're healthy now, eventually we won't be. Or we'll get hit by a bus. But regardless, we will all end up dead some day, right?

Still, the vast majority of us choose to go through this thing called life anyway, and wouldn't ever do otherwise. Sounds crazy when you really think about it, but I think gymnastics is sort of the same. I guess we do it for what's in between now and the end state, right?

I have a level 4 who desires to be an upper level optional.
My daughter loved gymnastics from the second she walked in a gym. From a very young age she was passionate and dedicated to gymnastics. Is she ‘elite’ material? No, probably not. She does have a natural talent for gymnastics though. She has goals to become a level 10 gymnast and thinks it would be ‘amazing’ to compete in college but understands nothing about how it works. (She is 8). I keep taking her to practice, paying meet fees, driving all over the state and neighboring states to meets because, yes, she loves it. I also keep doing it because she learns about hard work, dedication, persistence, winning (and losing) gracefully. She had made strong friendships and her coaches care about her not just as a gymnast but as a person. She’s never happier than when she gets a new skill. So we keep on going and even though elite is not in the future, if there is no college scholarship- it’s worth it 100%.

Gymnastics is not your average spot. It takes total commitment, total dedication and total focus to train to do what most would consider death defying skills. You aren’t not going to get the same character development in just any sport.

Kids who grow up, having done serious gymnastics gain so many life benefits even if they never do college or elite. Courage, dedication, commitment, perserverence, focus, confidence, mental toughness and the incredible benefits of the training in Strength, flexibility, balance, coordination and agility can lead to life long physical health benefits.

Most kids continue to high level gymnastics because they dearly love it, having your kids (especially in high school years) in an activity that they dearly love has many side benefits. They are far more likely to learn the true value of hard work, goal setting and preserverence if they are in an activity they love. Research shows that kids who are highly dedicated to sport are far less likely to smoke, drink, take drugs, get involved in crime or become pregnant.

I don’t think parents nessesarily feel that they are making educational compromises. Sure some pull their kids from school to home school to accomodate gymnastics schedules but that often enhances their education, not compromise it. Homeschool can be tailored more to an individual students needs and teach them incredible learning independence for college. Other take their kids out of school early, to make it to training, but how much of an issue is this really. US high school students seem to attend school very long hours compared to most of the rest of the world, how much are they all still absorbing by the end of the day. OECD statistics show that more time in the classroom does not nessesarily correlate to educational success at all. Meanwhile through their gymnastics they are creating constant new neural pathways which only serve to enhance their focus, concentration, memory and cognitive abilities so the time they are in the classroom is generally far more effective.

What’s funny is I question pursuing elite more than high level JO!

Elite involves way more money, time, injury etc. for what? Still only a very small chance of becoming a successful Elite and even smaller chance of competing in Olympics?

What’s funny is I question pursuing elite more than high level JO!

Elite involves way more money, time, injury etc. for what? Still only a very small chance of becoming a successful Elite and even smaller chance of competing in Olympics?
I completely agree with this (regarding elite requiring way more time, money, committment, sacrifice, etc..) and yes, the chances of making it to the Olympics are slim to none for most of the girls that will try but they know they won't make it without at least trying, right?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back