Parents Why do I always feel tierd after our gym workout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cloe Forner

Proud Parent
My daughter is 16 years old and a level 4 gymnast. On Monday she goes for 2 and a half hours. She has about an hour of pretty intense workout and then for the rest of the class time they either do vault, bars, beam or floor. The only problem is right after workout she gets so tired. She even rolled her ankle because she was to tierd to tumble. Is there any suggestions for this? Thanks!

I mean, being tired at the end of a workout is normal.

Having said that, a snack high in carbs and protein before and after practice can often help.
Yep, proper nutrition - to fuel your athlete - was my first thought. My DD will have an energy crash during or after practice if she hasn't eaten a well-balanced meal/snack prior. Also, I find that this type of tiredness is more common during a growth spurt.

Lean meats (ex., turkey sandwich), string/mini cheese, nuts or nut butters, eggs, hummus, Greek yogurt with berries are some snack ideas on the higher protein side. The hard part is finding something your kid will reliably eat, if she's anything like mine LOL.

Also, carbs are necessary to include with the protein for energy too. Homemade smoothies are a great option because you can add protein (yogurt), carbs (fruit), and veggies (like spinach) to make a meal replacement. I personally would avoid protein powder for kids, though.

Lean meats (ex., turkey sandwich), string/mini cheese, nuts or nut butters, eggs, hummus, Greek yogurt with berries are some snack ideas on the higher protein side. The hard part is finding something your kid will reliably eat, if she's anything like mine LOL.

Also, carbs are necessary to include with the protein for energy too. Homemade smoothies are a great option because you can add protein (yogurt), carbs (fruit), and veggies (like spinach) to make a meal replacement. I personally would avoid protein powder for kids, though.
Oh, ok! She does have lots of smoothies and she did have a turkey sandwich right before practice. So I just really have no idea why she is always tired‍♀️ Mabey its lack of sleep, she gets 7 hours usually. Thanks for this comment!

Is there any high protein snacks you would reccomend?
Nuts, eggs, white meat. But what you need for high effort training is mainly carbs, sugar and fats make for good energy boost just try to go with healthy fats and unrefined sugars. Most nuts have good fats (just avoid ones roasted with lots of extra oil) and lots of good protein, just find ones they like. After training plenty of good quality protein (chicken, fish, seeds, nuts [yes I do rate nuts highly!]) is needed as your body repairs and builds itself better for the next time .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back